Register

Slow Cooker ideas

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Slow Cooker ideas

Postby Binky » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:51 pm

In a fit of consumerism, I have ordered a Morphy Richards slow cooker. It's the basic one without a timer.

Not being a big meat eater in the past, but having to expand my diet to allow chicken and beef, I wondered if anyone had some simple recipes suggestions for me to try.

Re: Slow Cooker ideas

Postby DEB » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:56 pm

You might find some of there helpfull.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/col ... low-cooker

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:08 pm

Mine was very handy when I had the kids here - I had 4 - but these days the only thing I use mine for is chicken stock. However my OH is ill and is also a very fussy eater so my cooking options are limited anyway.

Postby Binky » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:21 pm

Deb, I have had a quick look at some online recipes, but I don't entirely trust them. What I'm looking for is posters own experience in using a slow cooker - what works best, any tips re. liquid levels etc.

Postby Amyw » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:24 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4101&p=71987&hilit=Slow+cooker#p71987

I'd say use maximum half the amount of liquid you think you'd need. If you're cooking a joint of meat , place it on the bed of veg first as cooks better, than the veg on top . I normally brown everything off first before transferring to the slow cooker

Postby Wic » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:59 pm

Brisket in a slow cooker is lovely. It doesn’t really need to be browned first and the gravy is fantastic.

You can also cook a whole chicken in one, but that looks better if you brown it. To be truthful, every time I do it I wonder why it works, but it does.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:42 pm

A friend of mine who also had 4 children regularly used to buy one of those turkey legs that Morrison’s do for around £1. She used to slow cook it with loads of veg and reckoned it gave her family at least two large meals.

I’ve actually replaced my slower with an Instant Pot which has a slow cooker function but find I use some of the other settings more.

Postby Otterspocket » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:10 pm

We love our Instant Pot but kept one of our slow cookers specifically for ribs and pulled pork as the results are better , yesterday we got a couple of pork shoulders and made a big batch of chinese style pulled pork - had some with lettuce cups , spring onions and hoisin or chilli sauce for supper and it was delicious. Enough for three more meals in the freezer too

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox