Register

Sophie Grigson cookery demo

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Sophie Grigson cookery demo

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:06 pm

It would be the feel of the gloves that got me!

The only thing I don't like handling are feathers so plucking anything feathered has to be done inside a bin bag, while wearing the Marigolds
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:47 pm

In the USA these days you see many cooks and chefs wearing latex gloves. The ones I know absolutely hate them, arguing (and I think, quite rightly) that the fact you´re wearing gloves doesn´t mean the food is treated any better; you still have to wash your hands after preparing chicken, for example, and then moving on to potatoes.
I only use latex gloves when preparing hot chiles, following a particularly painful attack of "Hunan Hand" some years ago!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:35 pm

There was an outbreak of programmes on Korean food last year, and I though Judy Joo was being a bit prissy about glove wearing until Torode pointed out that if you have your hands in kimchi all day it attacks your skin

Food handling gloves are usually vinyl not latex, cheaper and latex has to be treated with talc.

I’m a bit picky about eating some textures but not handling them, though I don’t really like mixing water into dry flour with my hands for some reason (but will do it)

Postby Rainbow » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:08 am

I wear thin vinyl gloves for handling beetroot - better than having pink fingers for hours!!

Postby jeral » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:29 am

Can't beat a chopstick for stirring a little liquid progressively into dry flour, or small pots for mustard, cornflour paste or marinade ingredients

For me = squeamish, cheap pound shop cellophane-like plastic gloves as much easier to slip off. Latex gloves worn all day by some shop assistants must be the least hygienic thing ever.

Postby Pampy » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:26 pm

The talk of gloves reminds me of when I was in a fishmongers and asked for some shrimps - the young assistant, who was wearing gloves, started to use his hands to pick the shrimps off the tray. I'd just seen him handling money so asked him to use use a scoop. He asked why saying "I've got gloves on" and just couldn't understand when I tried to explain to him that they weren't some magic bug destroyer!

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:22 pm

I can remember when our local butcher did your order but you paid a cashier who was behind another counter so there was no contamination.

I’ll get me coat as they used to say . . . .

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:45 pm

Pampy (spell check prefers Pamphlet) that is exactly what has always worried me about wearing gloves in food shops

I’ve trained enough school leaver technicians to know that the most difficult thing about gloves, (once they get the idea of wearing them at all) is that because their hands never feel mucky they simply don’t appreciate that they can spread contamination. It does not come naturally at all.

Even if wearing ordinary Marigolds I wash my hands very thoroughly, gloves on, before removing them, often with anti-bac spray depending on what I’ve been handling

Postby Renee » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:13 am

Pampy wrote:The talk of gloves reminds me of when I was in a fishmongers and asked for some shrimps - the young assistant, who was wearing gloves, started to use his hands to pick the shrimps off the tray. I'd just seen him handling money so asked him to use use a scoop. He asked why saying "I've got gloves on" and just couldn't understand when I tried to explain to him that they weren't some magic bug destroyer!

Oh Pampy, I understand what you're saying! They're just not very bright, are they?

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox