Register

Making sushi

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Making sushi

Postby Binky » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:39 am

I made sushi rolls, and although the taste was authentic and definitely something I wish to repeat, the rolls fell apart on cutting/eating.

I know that there are sushi rollers for sale, but wondered if they're a bit 'gimmicky' and all that's really required is a good rolling technique with a mat.

Does anyone use a roller or have any tips?

Re: Making sushi

Postby scullion » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:18 pm

letting the rice get a bit stickier?
I've only used a mat and rolled them in nori sheets, when you can squeeze them a little tighter.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:58 pm

Isn't the trick to moisten the end of the nori with water when you roll it up? I just use a mat.

Last time I did it was with Korean-style sushi, "gimbap", a bit meatier than Japanese-style ones.

Postby Binky » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:08 pm

I've also seen a sushi knife for sale. Do you need a special knife?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:28 pm

I would imagine that's for the real sushi chefs, who spend years learning how to cut the fish, with a special knife so sharp I'd lose the ends of my fingers with it within a week!!

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:46 pm

I regularly make sushi rolls, usually veggie, as they can be eaten by just about everybody and they look quite impressive without being difficult. They taste good too.

I make them with a mat and a sheet of nori as above. You can roll them back and forth like a rolling pin to tighten them up and impress the moist rice onto the nori sheet. Use a sharp knife, wet the blade if it sticks.

HTH

Postby Binky » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:37 pm

OK. It's my rolling technique that needs to be improved. I will have another go over the weekend.

On the NHK channel (Japanese TV freeview channel) I saw a cookery programme. The lady was making 'picnic sushi' where all the veggies/tuna were in a bowl, and the sushi rice soaked in vinegar in another bowl. Apparently you take this on picnics and eat like a salad -- no rolling involved. Can't remember if she took nori sheets with her.

Postby Renee » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:51 pm

It's a while since I made sushi rolls, but they should be easy to roll without a mat, which I used to do. It is important to use sushi rice, which is cooled quickly by fanning in a wide bowl. The vinegary sushi seasoning is then added, and spread not quite to the edges of the nori sheet. I put a strip of wasabi paste from top to bottom near to the edge, then strips of raw salmon, or whatever you choose to use on top and finally matchstick size strips of cucumber and then roll up. Everything should hold together. They can be chilled in the fridge for a while before slicing. I used to make a dip from rice vinegar or maybe mirin ... I can't quite remember ... finely sliced chilli, sesame oil, Kikkoman soya sauce and a small amount of wasabi paste.

Postby mark111757 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:29 pm

Binkster

Do you mean this? I enjoy their shows and presentation

https://www.nhk.or.jp/dwc/

And perhaps this recipe

https://www.nhk.or.jp/dwc/recipes/detail/407.html

Postby Binky » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:30 pm

Yes, that's the lady. I will bookmark that website :thumbsup

Postby mark111757 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:31 pm

Just wanted to make sure it was the right recipe. No tuna in this but lots of veg

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/onde ... o/2019202/

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox