Register

Japan Centre - a warning

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Japan Centre - a warning

Postby Binky » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:37 am

I was unable to find wasabi, umeboshi plums, nori sheets and proper sushi rice at any shop near me. Looking online, I found the Japan Centre had all the things I needed, so I went ahead and ordered.

On the parcel's arrival, I found that my umeboshi plums had been substituted for a nori seaweed flavoured with plums (not what I wanted) and worst of all, the sushi rice was out-of-date
(use by 3/4/2019 when I ordered on 19 Sept).

Very bad in my opinion. I shan't use them again and wouldn't recommend their goods either.

:thumbsdown

Re: Japan Centre - a warning

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:54 pm

That’s a shame
I’ve never used their mail order service, but have been to the shop a few times, usually for a light lunch

I preferred the old premises, the new ones are cramped and half hidden off Piccadilly Circus, the old place was quite pleasant to sit and eat

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:45 pm

That's a real pita...!

I used to order from them quite a few years back when I couldn't find what I wanted here - they were very good then except for postage costs which were weight based so could work out expensive if you weren't careful.

Have you had a good response from them? I order from a local organic site ( mail order only ) who are very good usually, but now & again go off piste - they always replace what's missing /incorrect, but it's a faff to get in touch etc. I think it's down to whoever is packing .

Postby Renee » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:16 pm

Thanks for the warning Binky. I have used them in the past but not recently. That's really bad news.

Postby miss mouse » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:07 pm

Binky wrote: and worst of all, the sushi rice was out-of-date
(use by 3/4/2019 when I ordered on 19 Sept).

Very bad in my opinion. I shan't use them again and wouldn't recommend their goods either.

:thumbsdown

Is sushi rice like Basmati and better with age? I have some quite ancient stuff.

The shop is jam-packed whenever I have been there, mostly by Japanese origin people which is a good sign I think.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox