Register

Italian confit chicken

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Italian confit chicken

Postby Pepper Pig » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:36 pm

Does anyone else follow Rachel Roddy in The Guardian? She writes very well (from Rome). This is today’s offering and looks jolly good but then I’ve never made confit.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/s ... sott-ollio

Re: Italian confit chicken

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:25 pm

Looks good
Rachel Roddy came and spoke at LitFest last year, she also brought us the Italian version of green beans in tomato sauce to try, very nice. She came across well herself

Postby jeral » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:40 pm

I imagine a meat/oil thermometer is essential. I've just bought another as I melted the last one by leaning it on the pan edge. I ordered a metal clip-on one but it came without the clip (so useless) plus I heard that the mechanical ones can take a long time to get to up to the reading, so I'm now the proud owner of another digital plastic one. It's a good job they're not dear.

No doubt the chicken will be good. I'm wondering if the oil could be re-used as 800ml is about £10's worth.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:06 pm

I don't think you'd need a meat thermometer, anything cooked that long at an oven temperature above 100C should be fine

I find my meat thermometer a bit of a pain, as it tends to come unanchored, though it is very good for cooking big joints just so and of course any large Christmas poultry, I have a CDN one of the kind in which you stick the probe into the meat and a wire runs out to a digital display outside. I can't read the kind of round dial you put into the oven, I need digital and an alarm is handy too.. Had I tmany years, and it still seems to work fine. It's supposed to cling to the oven with a magnet, but magnets don't stick well to mine

Bu in practice I mainly use my Thermopen instant reading thermometer, I love my Thermopen

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:53 pm

Looks like a thoroughly tasty recipe! Interesting the use of ginger, I thought.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:45 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Looks like a thoroughly tasty recipe! Interesting the use of ginger, I thought.

I thought that
And you wouldn't need to use EVOO - RR says you can blend in some neutral oil, Sainsbury's cheapest own brand olive oil is £3 per litre, and the blended oils sold in shops catering to Cypriots are cheaper,

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox