Register

The taste for milk

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

The taste for milk

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:37 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/s ... ok-at-milk

Although a milkman (very underused) comes round here he is not yet delivering milk in glass bottles.

Re: The taste for milk

Postby jeral » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:05 pm

Surely the decline in milkman deliveries is that more people are out at work all day and come home to gone off milk? Cool boxes are likely to disappear (being anything not nailed down) and putting milk in glass bottles won't affect either. Glass bottles also have a fossil fuel footprint in their recycling too, unless returned and sterilised to be re-used as is.

Doesn't raw milk have to be drunk the same day? If so, doesn't that lead to more wastage? I'm thinking of the poor animals kept in calf to churn it out continuously. Although wastage wouldn't be a farmer's problem if sales volumes are maintained as adequate. I'm a townie though so know nothing.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:15 pm

The milkman who comes down our road seems to do his round very early. I go to the gym at around 5.30 am and see him every morning. I guess they have to guarantee a delivery before people leave for work.

For the record I usually buy 4 litres of Cravendale which lasts for ages but as a non-milk drinker I wish the other residents would tell me when they’re nearing the end of the container. :evil:

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:02 pm

My neighbour has 3 children and has recently switched to using a milkman.
He delivers just after midnight.
Glass bottles.

Our milk consumption is erratic so it wouldn't work for us.

Postby Amyw » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:43 pm

Funnily enough I walked past someone's doir the other day and they had two glass bottles of milk on their doorstep . I thought how quaint it looked quickly followed by I wonder how long it'd take some kids to nick it !!

I do not really drink milk as don't have any hot drinks . I on,y really have milk in porridge and prefer non dairy milk for that, usually coconut or soya

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:22 pm

Echoing that timing, my milkman comes very, very early, 4 o clockish.

It comes in glass bottles, if it changed to plastic I'd stop.

The only ones to nick my milk are the occasional birds piercing the foil cap and pinching the ctop of the milk...

Haven't read that article yet, I'm probabaly getting the wrong end of the stick!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:26 pm

It should be pointed out that the Guardian article is about untreated i.e. raw, unpasteurised, milk. This is probably not a brilliant idea as raw milk is a potential source of listeria, TB, and brucellosis. Most milk in glass bottles is of course pasteurised.

I don’t drink milk or take it in hot drinks except a very rare hot chocolate so I wouldn’t have a delivery. My dairy is mainly consumed as cheese and yogurt.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:00 pm

There is a farm just beyond Watford that sells Raw Milk. Very popular with some religious communities, possibly the Hindus.

http://www.wayside-farm.co.uk/

I am old enough to remember when milk was delivered by a horse and cart . . . .

Postby Pampy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:09 pm

This is an interesting article https://naturaler.co.uk/where-to-buy-raw-milk-uk/

Not only do I remember milk deliveries made by horse and cart, I also remember the ice cream man, rag and bone man and coal man all coming round with their horse and carts. There was also the "pop man" who sold dandelion and burdock and sarsaparilla in stone jugs!

Postby patpoyntz » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:10 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:There is a farm just beyond Watford that sells Raw Milk. Very popular with some religious communities, possibly the Hindus.

Me too Pepper...our milkman’s horse was called Dinah, a big brown horse with big whiskers. We used to love to run out and stroke her. And if she did make a mess in the street, there was quite a battle among the neighbours to collect the ‘spoils’.

Postby Otterspocket » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:29 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:There is a farm just beyond Watford that sells Raw Milk. Very popular with some religious communities, possibly the Hindus.

We were in the lakes last week and just down a hill from a raw milk place where you took your own bottles , I was tempted but risks too high of infection for me

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:52 am

We had a rag and bone man round here with horse and cart until just into the 90s

The pony was a light grey and had a side line as the white horse for Sikh weddings

Postby cherrytree » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:51 am

I buy raw milk from Natalie when I’m in deepest Lozere. It certainly lasts longer than one day. I’ve been experimenting with some of it going sour so that I can make better scones which have never been my strong point.
Where were you in the Lakes? I used to be able to buy untreated milk but haven’t been able to buy it for a long time now.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:09 am

Pepper Pig wrote:There is a farm just beyond Watford that sells Raw Milk

Yep, I've passed it quite a few times and wondered what could be done with it.

On the oldishness thing, the milkman in Chiswick when I was growing up always had an electric milk float, but I remember the rag and bone man's horse and cart, and the ringing of a bell to announce his presence.

I wouldn't swear to it, but I seem to remember the coalman having a horse and cart when I moved to Brentford in 1965, his yard could be seen from our back window.

You still get a bell occasionally round here, but it's an old white-van-man truck driven at snail's pace.

Postby Meganthemog » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:32 pm

We have our milk delivered in glass bottles by our milkman - he comes at about 4 am.
I remember the rag and bone man with his horse and cart, Mr Strike the greengrocer who had a Morris Minor van and came around twice a week. The wet fish man came weekly. We didn't have a car so my mum used them all.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:34 pm

Our coal certainly came by horse and cart until the early sixties Sakkarin. In fact in the late sixties I went out with the coalman’s son and they still had the old stables in the yard of their house in Uxbridge.

Postby Otterspocket » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:51 pm

cherrytree wrote:I buy raw milk from Natalie when I’m in deepest Lozere. It certainly lasts longer than one day. I’ve been experimenting with some of it going sour so that I can make better scones which have never been my strong point.
Where were you in the Lakes? I used to be able to buy untreated milk but haven’t been able to buy it for a long time now.

Just outside Greystoke - on the road in from Penrith to the village you’ll see the milk bottle signs before the fort we were staying in

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:14 pm

I'm that age too . Everything was delivered by horse and cart. apart from fish which was brought up from the coast by train and was sold at te satation on Tuesday's and Fridays,

The meat was delivered by the butcher's boy on his bike. I dropped the day's order to the butcher, my uncle, on my way to school and Mum got it to cook for lunch.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Linnet » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:29 pm

Brought up on a farm, we had milk straight from the cow, sometimes still warm! Too much I think, only have milk in tea and coffee nowadays, or as yoghurt.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox