Register

Porridge Oats; Bio

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Porridge Oats; Bio

Postby Pommes » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:48 pm

My usual, local supermarket, which is probably the leading brand in our corner of France, & possibly the rest of the country, too, left me having a rant this morning. On my (quite short) shopping list were porridge oats, (French variety, not UK brands) & root ginger. Both are always freely available & I never have a problem in finding either. Both were only available in the BIO ranges. No 'non Bio' of either was on the shelves in any part of the store. Root ginger, usually in a large tray, is now in a dear little film packet & twice the price of the usual 'choose your own'. Ditto with the oats, which was just in the usual place with other breakfast cereals, but no non BIO anywhere to be seen. I do agree that more & more people are turning to BIO products, but surely we should still be given the choice. I have been buying porridge oats for hundreds of years, without problem , who's to tell me I must now choose BIO? Surely this is a price related issue?

Rant over!

Re: Porridge Oats; Bio

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:05 pm

I’d be dead mad about the root ginger coming packaged!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:16 pm

So annoying.
I too would be most peeved about the pre-packed ginger, I could survive the porridge, unless the price hike was ludicrous

Just has the opposite - I went into a local “whole foods” shop (cheapest place for a big pack of fine sea salt for cooking) and thought I’d look for some nice English plums, and all they had were huge mutant things of unspecified origin.

Postby cherrytree » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:17 am

Is this a new problem, Pommes? Because up until two weeks ago before we left Quaker Oats and loose ginger were available in our small Auchun in Lozere.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:42 am

I refuse to buy anything bio from our Leclerc because they are the only products encased in plastic. They used to sell Scotts oats with the foreign foods and still sell Quaker oats amongst the usual cereals but they switched to Stoats from Scotts. More expensive but the porridge expert in the house says they are very much better. He won't eat Quaker.

I suggest you email the manager and make moan. It is no-good complaining in person because the people who can do things always hide.

I buy a big lump of ginger at Fresh and break it into pieces and freeze them.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Pommes » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:00 pm

Thank you Cherry tree & Joan for your responses.

Yes, this is a very new problem as last time I looked I bought a big box of porridge oats in LeClerc on the usual breakfast cereal rayon. I use oats for biscuits & crumbles, as well as for breakfast, so get through quite a lot during the year. Yesterday the only oats available anywhere were the BIO range, which are usually displayed on the double BIO rayon. They have now 'migrated' to the general cereal rayon. I didn't see any UK brands oats at all, not even on the 'foreign' bit, which is gradually decreasing too. I shall be returning to my local Intermarché for my porridge. Ditto, with the root ginger, which is normally freely available in both stores.

Yes, Joan, I keep mine in the freezer, too, & grate as & when. Incidentally it is honey, soy, lime & ginger roast chicken tomorrow for us , & will be using my last piece. Hence, I was looking to re-stock yesterday!
Thank you, too, for the advice re. emailling the manager, which I will do.

Postby scullion » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:31 pm

if you are anywhere near a lidl, they sell oats in paper bags, like flour (and loose ginger). well, they do in the uk.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:24 pm

I bought Quaker oats this morning because they are in a cardboard box.
All the others were in plastic bags.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox