Register

Autumn eating

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Autumn eating

Postby Amyw » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:45 pm

Now we’re well into September , there’s definitely an autumnal feel in the air . Any particular meals or produce people are looking forward to as the months get cooler ?

As mentioned on the soup thread , I’ll probably be having more soups at lunchtime than salads . Not a hardship really as I love soup . Porridge will feature more regularly at breakfast time too.

I love all the root veg this time of year and roast trayfuls with olive oil, herbs and garlic . They’re great for soups, mixed through grains in warm salads or served as a side . I really look forward to apples too this year as a snack , baked or in a nice fruit compote as I’m always aware my fruit intake tends to decrease as it gets colder

Re: Autumn eating

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:14 pm

I've been freezing lots of (cooked) Victoria plums from my daughter's garden. They will become crumbles in due course. Didn't stop me buying a couple of punnets of greengages in Waitrose this morning though - they won't make it to the freezer as they are OH's favourite.

I love squashes, jacket potatoes and French onion soup which I will happily eat from September through to April.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:56 pm

I wish it was more autumnal but we have had max temps of 30C+ for more than a week.

I did make watercress soup this morning for lunch. It was fine but I couldn't eat very much because it made me too hot! M had no such problem and finished it and 2 cheese scones too.

My favourite autumn things are wild mushrooms, pears, plums and quinces. I love squashes and pumpkins too and the autumn cheeses and things like rabbit and rather naughtier things like pies and crumbles. French onion soup is a Monday favourite here when it gets cooler and usually when I have a half baguette to use up from Sunday!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Suffs » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:31 pm

We had roast parsnips with Barnsley chips on Sunday ... that certainly felt like an acknowledgement of autumn’s arrival. :yum

Postby Pampy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:47 pm

Now I know what Barnsley chops are ... but Barnsley chips?

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:24 pm

Pampy wrote:but Barnsley chips?

I do believe the Barnsley Chip is an accepted martial arts move...……………………... :lol: :shock:

Postby Amyw » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:07 pm

I’ve never had quinces . Not keen on plums though don’t mind them mixed with other cooked fruit.

I love roast parsnips , has to be with honey . Something I never have in summer , just doesn’t feel right

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:50 pm

Quinces are lovely, baked with honey and spices, stewed with prunes, as a jelly or paste on a cheeseboard.

We generally eat parsnips from Christmas onwards but they're definitely not warm weather food. We have a lot of HM soups in the autumn - there are plenty of root veg, pulses and squashes from the plot at the mo. The freezer is quite full of roasted tomatoes too, Delia's tomato and basil soup is a regular here in the autumn.

Various apple based puds start to appear too. There might well be an apple cake made at the weekend in fact.

Game starts to feature more in our diet, and of course more stews and casseroles. Jacket spuds and porridge are year-round foodstuffs here.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:26 pm

We have a row of quince bushes as a boundry for the yard where the potager and the hens are . That's my next lot of preserves. In the Porvencale language the name for quinces is coudouna.
A friend makes fabulous quince liqueuer and another quince paste which is very messy and sticky to make. My soecialities are quince jelly, bottled quinces and quince chutney. So between us we manage to cope with most of the fruit on the bushes.

I was given a butternut squash this morning, I'll roast it with an onion and some tomatoes and make soup.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:16 pm

I was hoping to see some autumnal beauty in Cincinnati, but it looks like I´ll have to wait. Temperatures in the past two weeks have been in the 80s and 90s (between 27 -34C). Findlay market ( a permanent Farmer´s Market, just 100 mts from where I´m staying) has some beautiful squashes and pumpkins, plus a whole load of different apples, but I haven´t given anything a go yet.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:09 pm

I went to the posher greengrocer yesterday and got Early Windsor apples and a mixed bag of English greengages and Victoria plums. He had some nice Cox’s apples too, but those will keep

Haven’t really thought about squares yet

Postby Otterspocket » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:45 pm

We had some lovely pork and rosemary sausages yesterday with million calorie mash (I daren’t watch hubbie making it) and some caramelised onion gravy - bit of mustard on the side and it was absolutely delicious.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:59 pm

OK - I just have to ask...

What is million calorie mash? :D

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:25 pm

potato mashed with half its weight in butter.

Postby Otterspocket » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:30 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:potato mashed with half its weight in butter.

Yes , so delicious but so naughty ! I have signed up to slimming world today so it was a last treat , well one of several

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:27 am

There’s a good series in The Guardian this week of Autumn meals.

The mushrooms on toast look fab in Part 1.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/s ... mn-recipes

Part 2 published today also has some great ideas.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/s ... jeremy-lee

I’ll post the others as they come online.

Postby Pampy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:08 pm

I agree PP - the mushrooms look wonderful. Think I'll have a look for some dried morels.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:26 pm

Mmmm. The mushrooms sound deliciously extravagant! Now to find some good bread...

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:07 pm

I’m sure the mushrooms are delicious but it seems slightly perverse to use dried spring mushrooms to make a dish to celebrate autumn :?

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:57 pm

True, but mushrooms are a quintessentially Autumn taste to me.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox