Register

Tom Kerridge’s American Feast

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Tom Kerridge’s American Feast

Postby mark111757 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:11 pm

Thursday at 900om UK time/400pm east coast USA time on food network UK.

This according to the Sunday magazine of Sept 15, 2019.

My question is I thought there some type of loyalty to the BBC. I would have said the same about Paul Hollywood when his series was on food network UK. Can some one clear this up? Thank you.

Re: Tom Kerridge’s American Feast

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:32 pm

I think loyalty to the BBC is a bit overdone. Most of the programmes are made by smaller companies who get the major channels to bid for them. And most TV chefs will have independent agents who negotiate on their behalf.

The BBC has financial problems like a lot of companies over here.

I think UK Food Network is a channel which only shows old BBC programmes though but I haven’t watched it for some time.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:49 pm

Wasn´t Kerridge the bloke who said female chefs don´t have "fire"?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:54 pm

UK TV is part owned by the BBC and so gets first dibs when the programmes are recycled.

Or did, as the former UK TV Food, recently known as the Good Food Channel stopped broadcasting on 12 September

It has merged with Food Network, and it seems some of their programmes will appear on that channel

We shall see
https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/11/good-food-tv-channel-gone-10721702/

Postby mark111757 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:58 pm

Any thoughts on will it help the Beeb's finances or will it simply become a dumping ground??

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:28 pm

I think it may give this arm of the BBC a lift but it’s a drop in the ocean compared to the overall budget

Judging by the trailers, the merged channel will give us a more varied diet of programmes, not just the endless repeats of Pioneer Woman and triple-D. But it obviously came at short notice as the Food Network UK site has deleted their TV guide, presumably in preparation for updating.

There’s a series in which chefs present My Greatest Dish that looks promising

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:14 pm

I've got this series set to record, and have started watching it, and unusually for me as I hate most current foodie TV, I actually enjoyed the programme I watched, as it highlighted some seriously good looking food. Not 100% a Kerridge fan as he does get dangerously cutesy sometimes, but found him bearable in this context.

However he made some glazed chicken wings at the end of the maple syrup section, and my jaw dropped as he used 200ml of maple syrup and 200ml of bourbon to glaze a large bowlful of them. No doubt it elevated the lowliest part* of the chicken to heavenly status, but I costed those two ingredients, and at £3.20 for the syrup and £4.15 for the bourbon, that's £7.35!!!

*lowliest edible part. Or would that be chicken livers?

Postby Binky » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:48 pm

Isn't that America all over though -- excess? You can see this in the supermarkets; you can't buy a pint of milk, it's all in 1 gallon plastic containers. There are other examples. Plus you only need to watch Ina Garten with her pudgy fingers ladling 6 eggs into 2 pts cream to make a custard. I do like her personality and way of talking to the camera, but find the excess revolting.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox