Register

Soup

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Re: Soup

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:18 pm

It's a bit late now for Christmas Eve! But by coincidence the other day I bought this out of curiosity, in Asda, concentrated borscht:

P.S. Favourite mushroom soup recipe? I have some mushrooms that need using...

Postby Suffs » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:40 pm

This is the best homemade mushroom soup recipe in the world ...the bread thickens it much better IMHO than using a roux or similar.

Tamasin Day Lewis' Mushroom Soup

340g/12 oz mushrooms, wiped and sliced
55g/2oz unsalted butter
2 tbspn chopped parsley
2-3 sprigs thyme optional
a small clove of garlic, chopped and crushed
sea salt and black pepper
nutmeg or mace
1 thick slice wholemeal bread - crusts removed
1 litre/1 3/4 pts chicken stock
150 ml/5 fl oz double cream, pref Jersey

Stew the mushrooms gently in the butter in a heavy bottomed pan and when their juices begin to run, stir in half the parsley, the thyme leaves if you are using them, the garlic and the seasoning. Grate the nutmeg or mace rather than using powdered if possible. Soak the bread in a little hot stock and add it to the mushrooms, then pour over the rest of the stock. Cook for about 15 mins at a gentle simmer, then liquidise in the blender or push through the coarse disc of a mouli-légumes - I (not me - Tamasin) prefer this last option because it gives the soup a better texture. Pour in the cream and just bring the soup up to the boil before testing the seasoning, ladling it into bowls and scattering over the rest of the parsley.

This soup is also very good chilled. Allow the soup to cool. Then stir in the cream and chill further. Serve with a dollop of extra cream plopped into each bowl.

Postby patpoyntz » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:02 pm

I’m so glad you posted that soup recipe Suffs...I used to make it ages ago, and had forgotten all about it. I have a pack of mushrooms to use up.

Postby Suffs » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:15 pm

Pat ... try a generous sprinkling of toasted chopped hazelnuts and toasted buttered whole meal breadcrumbs on the top :yum :yum :yum

Postby Amyw » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:29 pm

That sounds lovely Suffs. I do like good accompaniments with soup, if that's croutons, a swirl of yoghurt or cheese crumbled on top

Postby patpoyntz » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:51 pm

Suffs wrote:Pat ... try a generous sprinkling of toasted chopped hazelnuts and toasted buttered whole meal breadcrumbs on the top :yum :yum :yum

Yes, will definitely do that, good suggestion.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:13 pm

Soup Soup Soup...………….……..!!
I so craved the 'wholesomeness' of soup after crimbo that I got a ham hock & made a good cauldron of pea soup...…..……………………….hit the button & lots of lunch bowls for The Lushly...……………..all's right with the world again!

Postby Suffs » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:11 pm

I made a big pot of Cock-a-leekie today with stock from the remains of a roast chicken we had on Boxing Day and the bone from a gammon hock .... leftover chunks of roasted chicken meat, three big carrots, three big leeks, three peeled Maris Pipers chunked, two bay leaves, chopped fresh parsley and a dollop of creme fraiche stirred in before serving. A perfect meal for the two of us recovering from a lurgy ... and plenty left for tomorrow.

Postby MariaK » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:20 am

Sakks

You just add some to simmering veg or beef stock till it tastes right to you. You may want a twist or two of the pepper mill and a little lemon juice - but taste first. Tried chicken stock once, as that's what I had, with home made beetroot concentrate - just weren't right.

It keeps well in fridge.

It's often served with uszka (little ears) - good ready made mushroom tortellini aren't bad for a quick fix.

Suffs
That mushroom soup looks very good.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:26 pm

Tried your soup Suffs, the only thing I was missing was the wholemeal bread, so I baked a couple of wholemeal rolls specially as shops had shut.

Very creamy, I'd say as a fine dining dish I'd give it 9 out of 10, but personally would prefer something more rustic and earthy for everyday use, so still on the lookout for my perfect mushroom soup to join my perfect mushroom risotto (Carluccio's) and my favourite mushroom paté (Isabel Ogden).

I dug out my mouli, but remembered why I'd put it in the darkest corner of my kitchen - I just don't get on with it. I cannot describe the mess it made, most of the mushroom squeezed back into the body of it rather than through the perforations, in the end I gave up and finely chopped the last mushroom pieces that were left. Oh well...

I've since looked at some videos on how to use a mouli, and in this one there is a huge amount of tomato left in the thing, in the same way as my mushroom. I guess I've missed the point of a mouli, I presumed it was to reduce EVERYTHING to mush.

Again on moulis, £167.98 !?!?!??!!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:30 pm

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:27 pm

Chicken soup made from the bones of crimbo leftovers with dumplings :yum on the menu this week proper winter rib-sticker.....!

Postby Suffs » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:31 pm

Sakkarin ... I use a liquidiser ... so much easier to clean and I like that I can adjust the texture to suit me.

Postby jeral » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:55 pm

I reckon soup makers are trying to create a problem to solve, aimed at those whose kitchen is big enough for an endless conveyor belt of gadgets.

Most soups I make require at least one or more items to be peeled, chopped and parboiled or sauteed beforehand. Now, a peeling and chopping robot I could go for. I might have to speak nicely to it though or I could find myself peeled and chopped up... Argghh!

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:30 pm

jeral wrote:Now, a peeling and chopping robot I could go for.

They're usually called husbands or OH's...…!

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:37 pm

I´m currently in Mexico. Son & Wife came over yesterday with a whole pile of veg, fruit, etc. since they´re on their way back to Ohio.
A whole packet of celery, a potato, and 1 large onion were turned into creamy celery soup - with the addition of 1/3 tub of single cream.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time : 30 minutes

Now I need to scour the fridge again to see what other odds and sods can be turned into soup!!

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:18 pm

I use a stick blender for soups - it's convenient put in the saucepan or IP. We had the HF-W beetroot & feta soup today, but I tend to go through the card with root veg in the winter. Leek & potato, celeriac, curried parsnip, lentil. I grew a few Jerusalem artichokes last year, will probably make soup with them. There are still some squashes in the shed, more pumpkin, bean & corn soup. Haven't made pea soup for yonks, there's a load of stock made after Christmas and a fair bit of ham in the freezer...

Postby Renee » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:53 pm

Lovely mushroom soup recipe Suffs! Thank you.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:17 am

I´ve just seen MariaKK´s post about the beetroot soup with ushka.
I made it some time ago, and I can assure you it was utterly delicious.
It takes a little time to make it from scratch, but it is very much worthwhile.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:49 pm

Uszka - that had passed me by - Polish wonton soup! That reminded me of when I worked in the West End, and in the mornings I'd pass a Chinese restaurant in Soho where there would always be someone making the day's supply of wontons in the window. I wonder if they still do that.

It looks like they sell ready made ones in Asda, may prompt me to do my monthly Morrisons and Asda trip, although with a Lidl now in walking distance Asda has lost its edge as the things I went there for are now available from Lidl. Having said that, maybe I should go into one of the many Polish shops round here and check them out.

I see the full name for borscht and those dumplings is "Barszcz & Uszka". I'm guessing the Polish version of Scrabble (Szcrabl?)has a downgraded Z tile!

Follow up: Blimey, Polish Scrabble: no Q, V or X, and nine other extra letters!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrabble_ ... ons#Polish

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox