Register

Seasonal preserves

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Seasonal preserves

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:33 pm

After the winter marmalade and the summer soft fruits I always seem to hit another preserrving peak at this time of year.
This morning I got a load of damsons. I rarely see them here. They are now cooked and dripping through the jelly bag ready to finish tomorrow.

I had already picked a couple of kgs of figs and there are plenty more, to turn into jam and Clives wonderful fig chutney.

Do you have any plans for Autumn preserves?
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Site Admin

Re: Seasonal preserves

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:01 pm

I'm still waiting for those crabapples to ripen round the corner!

Not sure when they are officially ripe, at the moment they're slightly rosy, but still very tart.

Postby Linnet » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:14 pm

Try picking a few - if they come off easily they will be ok, if resistant, leave a bit longer.

Postby DEB » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:45 pm

So far this autumn
Damson Jam
Damson Jelly
Strawberry Jam
and bottled Damsons, Apples
and dried apples.

Hot tomato chuntey to make and and apple juice to bottle.
Then see what other fruit I get, blackberries?
:crossed

Postby scullion » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:31 pm

tuesday - ian's strawberry jam
yesterday/today - sweet cucumber pickle
this afternoon - half a pot of (sieved) blackberry and apple jam (my partner picked more blackberries than necessary for crumble and there were a couple of small windfalls over).
possibly some spicy apple chutney when the bramleys ripen - if we've finished enough of the chutney stash.
does kimchi count?

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:20 pm

Our strawberry seaon is well and truly over. I made mine in May.

The damson jelly now sitting in the cellar labelled. The fig jam is yet to be lablelled, when I get the printer to work.

I made passionfruit curd earlier in the week and M tried it this morning . It got a big :thumbsup . I promised my chef friend that I would take him some when we go for lunch tomorrow. You could hardly call curd seasonal though could you?

I've been promised a basket of cepes by a friend as soon as there is a little more rain. I'll have to get the dehydrator out and checked. Once the wildmushrooms start coming they arrive thick and fast.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:58 am

I'm having another visit at the weekend for those blackberries that weren't out yet.
Coupled with damsons that grow next to the same hedgerows.

To make my hoisin sauce.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:28 am

Ooh recipe please Gill.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:13 am

(I remember it took me a while to get the sugar:soy balance, Joan.
And I prefer Shaosing wine.)

pseudo hoisin/ damson plum, fragrant oriental sauce

1 kilo whole damson, washed
100g rice wine vinegar
200g cider vinegar
200mil water

220mil dark soy sauce
150g muscovado sugar
100mil sherry/ mirin or Chinese Shaosing wine

1 large orange, quartered, skin on
3 - 5 plump garlic cloves (I used 5)
1 thick teasp tamarind paste
2 star anise
fresh ginger root, sliced but not peeled
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 tsp salt
1 cinnamon stick, snapped

method

mix the damson with the vinegars and water, and simmer for 20 mins
add the remaining ingredients one at a time
bubble down gently, stirring regularly, for about one hour till you have a thick dark sauce and the damson are dissolved completely

when you are happy with your soy to sugar balance, strain through a metal sieve and bottle.

Image Image

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:49 am

Thanks Gill. I don't think there is a cat in hells chance of my finding tamarind paste or rice wine vinegar, M's sister is coming in October but by that time the damsons will be over. i wonder if I could freeze the damssons?

Postby Pampy » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:35 am

Yes, they can be frozen. They might have a slightly higher water content when defrosted and will be softer which means they won't need to be cooked for as long as fresh ones.

Postby Suffs » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:43 pm

This is the first year in very very many that I’ve not done any preserving (other than freezing). I made so many jams. Jellies, chutneys and sauces last year that we’re still eating them and giving them as presents. We’re still eating marmalade I made two/3 years ago ... perhaps we’re not eating enough :?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:58 pm

Well that's my crab apples foraged!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:08 pm

Oh well, that went the same way as my last batch of marmalade. BIN.

The recipe I had had both fruits going in the pan together, then simmered until the crab apples were soft, pulped along the way with the aid of a potato masher.

I did toy with the idea of doing them separately, but as always made the wrong choice. Unfortunately 40 minutes in, the apples were still solid, but the blackberries had already turned to jam. I loosened it with a bit of water, then attacked it with a blitzer, and ended up with a puree which looked promising, but it was too thick to force through the sieve for my ageing arm muscles.

I've still got the pulp, if anyone has any bright ideas, but I think it will end up in the bin :-(

Postby Otterspocket » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:28 pm

Cleared our greenhouse today so the house now smells of vinegar and we have two different batches of tomato chutney cooking

We have a lot of large spring onions to use up but they will have to wait for another day and enough baby plum tomatoes to last a few days for lunches

Always feels quite sad , the end of summer

Postby Otterspocket » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:29 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Oh well, that went the same way as my last batch of marmalade. BIN.

The recipe I had had both fruits going in the pan together, then simmered until the crab apples were soft, pulped along the way with the aid of a potato masher.

I did toy with the idea of doing them separately, but as always made the wrong choice. Unfortunately 40 minutes in, the apples were still solid, but the blackberries had already turned to jam. I loosened it with a bit of water, then attacked it with a blitzer, and ended up with a puree which looked promising, but it was too thick to force through the sieve for my ageing arm muscles.

I've still got the pulp, if anyone has any bright ideas, but I think it will end up in the bin :-(

Can you pass through a Muslim and make jelly ?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:30 pm

It's too thick to get through a sieve, so getting it through muslin is out of the question!

Postby Pampy » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:04 pm

Otterspocket wrote:Can you pass through a Muslim and make jelly ?

You didn't mean that...did you? :lol:

Postby Linnet » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:20 pm

Just a suggestion, could you add some more water, mix well, and then hang it to drip through a jelly bag if you have one, or use a clean teatowel suspended from the corners? Leave it at least overnight, then boil up the 'drippings' with sugar as usual to make jelly. (Don't squeeze the bag or the jelly will be cloudy).

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:27 am

I've plonked it in the fridge for now, may have a go tomorrow at thinning it down.

"Passed through a Muslim" - I thought it might be something like those civet poo coffee beans...
https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable ... kopi-luwak

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox