Register

Teflon in the dishwasher

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Teflon in the dishwasher

Postby Youngerberry » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:56 am

We're told not to put non-stick pans in the dishwasher, because the teflon is degraded by the detergents, but what about simply not using those detergents? Even without detergent, the superheated water should help a great deal, so I'm tempted to try it...but before I do that, I thought I'd better ask if anyone else is experienced in such matters, in case there's something I hadn't thought of.

Re: Teflon in the dishwasher

Postby Binky » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:18 am

My non-stick Circulon pans go in the dishwasher.

No harm thus far.

Postby Youngerberry » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:28 am

Binky wrote:My non-stick Circulon pans go in the dishwasher.

No harm thus far.

Do Circulon use teflon?

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:29 am

I only have a small Teflon frying pan and a milk pan. They don't go in the dishwasher - no need as they are non-stick, and I would like them to stay like that, they are really easy just to wash by hand with the other few things that don't go in the dishwasher.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:49 am

I avoid the dishwater for my non-stick. What I do if they've been left to set not rinsed is to boil a kettle, put the pan on the stove with a spot of washing up liquid, bring to boil and simmer for a minute. Watch it like a hawk as it'll boil over. Do a test scrape with a silicon spatula to see if cooked, or let it stand a while soaking.

If something's burned on through forgetting about it, do the same but with 1 Tbsp bicarb added instead of w/up liquid.

Postby Binky » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:02 am

Good question youngerberry.

I assumed that all non-stick pans were Teflon technology.

Best stay safe and hand wash yours as per jeral's post.

Postby Rainbow » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:03 am

Do Circulon use teflon?

No. It’s a more durable coating. But I still wash mine by hand (well, my OH does!!)

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:54 am

I don't know what mine are as all cost £10 to £20-ish. Several £50 ones I've have had stopped being non-stick after a month or so however carefully I treated them so I refuse to buy them.

An expensive baking tray is the exception. It's vitreous enamelled (like grill pans) which has stayed brilliant :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:58 am

I’d be inclined to go with the manufacturer’s recommendation

Even if you wash without the detergent t, you will still get scour from particles in the wash being jet sprayed on the surface

I have one Circulon, one other non-stick (probably some superior form of Teflon, it was sold as dishwasher safe), and some Green Pans.

I compromise and put them through occasionally when there’s space to fill (my dishwasher is a slimline) - only the washer seems to clean the rivets and the bit where the handle meets the pan properly clean

Talking of ceramic such as Green Pan I’ve recently discovered that good old Bar Keeper’s Friend does a good job of restoring the finish

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:32 pm

Is Barkeeper's Friend in the UK now? It was only US when I read about it ages ago.

Postby Youngerberry » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:41 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:
Even if you wash without the detergent t, you will still get scour from particles in the wash being jet sprayed on the surface

That's a good point Sue. I could protect against that by simply placing a plate over the teflon surface, and then I'd get the rest of it cleaned.

Postby Youngerberry » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:42 pm

jeral wrote: but with 1 Tbsp bicarb added instead of w/up liquid.

That'll get your aluminium pans superclean, because it will literally remove the outer layer. I learned that to my cost...

Postby Pampy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:48 pm

jeral wrote:Is Barkeeper's Friend in the UK now? It was only US when I read about it ages ago.

It's been around for donkey's years in the UK. I get mine from Lakeland or Amazon.

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:11 pm

Youngerberry wrote:
jeral wrote: but with 1 Tbsp bicarb added instead of w/up liquid.

That'll get your aluminium pans superclean, because it will literally remove the outer layer. I learned that to my cost...

What was your aluminium pan coated with? Aluminium is a base metal so there is no outer layer unless one of another material has been applied. What make are they? The website might say.

Pampy, thanks. Good to know.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:16 pm

From my detergent formulating days I recall that dishwasher detergents are (were) highly alkaline, (much more so than a tsp of bicarb) which would be a very good reason why aluminium pans shouldn't be put in unless they've got a good coating. I've got a Circulon pan too, it's been through a few times but I prefer to handwash, as I do with my knives.

Postby Suffs » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:10 pm

Don’t know if this is of any help, but my OH works for ProCook ... he says all their non-stick pans, whether the ceramic
nonstick, the granite non-stick or the black Teflon-type non-stick, are guaranteed for between 10 and 25 years (depending on the range) completely dishwasher safe. He said he’d be surprised if any reputable makes pc pan cannot he washed in a dishwasher nowadays.

He also said that none of the ProCook pans contain perflourooctanoic acid ... the ingredient which was problematic healthwise in earlier Teflon.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox