Register

What would you serve with........

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What would you serve with........

Postby Amyw » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:38 pm

I love parsnips with pork either mashed or honey roasted . Cabbage and mustard mash are a good shout too

Postby patpoyntz » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:26 pm

Cabbage, mash, AND parsnips with roast pork for me please!
Although tomorrow I am cooking pork....I am pot roasting a pork shoulder with garlic, oranges and their juice, chillies and coriander, and I will be serving it with small local potatoes and a watercress salad.

Postby jeral » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:32 pm

There's nothing wrong with what you proposed in the other thread of course.

You could forego the herby crust that might clash with the sage and serve crispy fried (veg oil or lardon fat) 2cm spud cubes for the missing crackling crunch instead.

I think you make a good creamed leek dish don't you(?) that could provide a bit of sauce too. Or sweet red or yellow peppers slices charred but al dente. Apple wedges, oh yes.

Postby WWordsworth » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:53 pm

I would probably go for boulangere potatoes and some spinach.

Too early for mash, there needs to be a frost.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:07 pm

A bit later in the year I would go with mashed buttered swede. Some chance. Swedes are considered exotic here. No cabbage at the moment either, of any description. If there were I'd do steamed buttered cabbage and mash so that I had the makings of bubble and squeak tomorrow.

So....... I made sage and onion and some roast apple quarters. Cauliflower "rice" with a little cheese. and carrots. This is far more than I usually do but M loved it and we have been sitting in the veranda watching the world go by and drinking rose for 2 hours.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:52 am

I mentioned elsewhere that I have a small piece of Iberico pork to try

The instructions say to treat it as a steak, and the meat is as dark as beefsteak

So what should I serve with it (when my sense of smell and taste returns)?

Postby Suffs » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:15 am

I’ve not tried Iberico pork ... ham yes of course but not pork ... I imagine that it might be something like wild boar in its flavored and richness? If so I think I’d try to repeat an autumnal combination I enjoyed in rural Tuscany many moons ago and that was wild boar from the local chestnut forests, served with creamy Parmesan polenta and a gorgeous assortment of sliced wild mushrooms dressed with fresh herbs and cream. I don’t recall having a green veg with that meal (we probably had a salad at some stage in that meal) but I think it calls out for something earthy like spinach or chard.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:35 am

I totally agree with the wild mushrooms, perhaps sauteed with chestnuts and chopped parsley. It's that time of year. I think I would also include something sharpish like a damson or purple plum sauce or compote. I love the idea of creamy polenta with parmesan.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:44 am

Probably. not polenta, as I don’t have any and don’t specially want to get any. But some kind of white bean mash had occurred to me. Going that route Tuscan kale would seem the obvious green

Or I could put the mushrooms, which I hadn’t thought of, into a simple risotto, which might be a practical option for cooking for one person without getting too many extra ingredients.

The other half idea I had to stick with a Spanish theme

I’m hoping it will be more tender than the wild boar I had in Sardinia, but probably the same depth of flavour

Might think about a fruity element too

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:23 pm

Not the most beautiful food pic on record, but mushroom risotto is intrinsically beige

The Iberico pork was delicious, very porky without the gamey taste of boar, and very tender, I really didn’t need the steak knife, an ordinary one would have done

Postby Suffs » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:56 am

Glad you enjoyed it :)

Postby Pepper Pig » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:52 pm

Our large Waitrose is very good for marking down stuff on a Wednesday. This thread reminded me that I had three packs of Unearthed Iberico pork steaks in the freezer which were RTC half price. I defrosted one and we had it last night with mash and various veg. As tender as a tender thing.

8-) 8-) 8-)

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:15 pm

I am very glad you both enjoyed the pork. The risotto looks good Sue. I had a thought when I saw the picture, red wine risotto with mushrooms is rather nice.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:31 am

Tonight I'm pot roasting a piece of braising beef in red wine etc. Any suggestions as to accompaniments?

Postby Amyw » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:13 pm

Mashed potato to soak up the juices , wilted spinach and maybe some steamed carrots with a little butter

Postby jeral » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:55 pm

Is swede around at the moment where you are? Earthy is good with hearty methinks.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:22 pm

Jeral, Swede, in Provence? It may appear in the exotic section around Christmas.

Postby jeral » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:25 pm

I was a bit surprised that swede is in our shops already, unless it's last year's overwintered.

Postby WWordsworth » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:44 pm

Appreciate I am probably late to the party but I would mix mashed potato with horseradish shape it into cakes and fry until the coating is crisp.
Plus green veg of choice.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:02 am

I ended up adding some mustard to the puree and did steamed broccoli.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox