Register

What would you serve with........

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What would you serve with........

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:41 pm

After the lobster something simple would seem best. Steak and chips with a green salad

Before the lamb, perhaps a spicy soup with HM Naan bread ?
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:10 pm

After the sweet rich lobster, something earthy like button mushroom and spinach pot pie, done individually. Or maybe a chicken thigh with bell peppers and tomatoes like a cacciatore.

Before the lamb, an orange, rocket and feta salad. (If no rocket, a mustardy vinaigrette on leaves).

Or, what about light but flavoursome herby stuffed tomatoes, a la Ottolenghi? https://cookedinallston.com/2016/09/12/ ... -new-york/

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:38 pm

As the lamb is quite spicy and sauced, I don't think a spicy soup would work, and I don't make naan not having a tandoor or pizza oven, not worth it anyway for 2 portions

Tomatoes stuffed with something are an idea, I think the last of the "heritage" varieties are around

Would prefer to make something a bit more interesting than steak and chips, though completing the surf & turf is a possible was thinking possibly a pasta dish?

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Sue, how about beef olives in a really nice tomatoey sauce ?
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:15 pm

How about a Caesar salad before the lamb curry - or even a bruschetta selection.

That lobster starter would be the main event for me as it is, but when I think lobster - scallops soon follow up with maybe black pudding or creamed cauliflower or howabout a bowl of steaming mussels menuiere after the richness of the thermador.

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:33 pm

I too was wondering if the thermidor would work better as the main, maybe with a simple cold starter like toast /crackers/crudites and paté (e.g. pork with green olives, or mushroom and tapenade) which is ideal if chatting to relax and catch up.

Pasta after lobster would seem like a non-event to me and be a filling dish if for supper. I can't think of anything suitable, as a single cannelloni or ravioli would need a sauce that'd compete or merge with the thermidor.

Postby scullion » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:54 pm

arancini and salad after the lobster, and a red pepper stuffed with a lightly spiced, indian potato mix (rather than a rice mix) before the lamb curry.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:26 pm

I was thinking about stuffed mussels before the lamb. Or guacamole filled tomatoes.

How about a red onion and goat cheese tart either before or after the lobster or a Tagine after - though I think that might be too much

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:53 pm

I think the lobster will be too small to be a main, but I’ll consider swapping round

Also assumes they have them in the morning. If not, it’s start over

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:31 am

Lobsters to start... I´d continue the fishy theme and make a simple shrimp (tiny brown shrimp?) risotto, with perhaps a few sundried tomatoes in it.

Then for the lamb dish, I´d go for a glorified raita to start with. Cucumber, tomatoes, fresh spinach, squeeze of lemon, served on a bed of salad leaves.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:46 am

I might not bother with a proper starter for the lamb I think, just nibbles with the aperitif, perhaps including mini poppadums and raita (yogurt based dip), then do a rice dish, a couple of veg dishes and kachumber (Indian chopped salad) with the lamb.

I was thinking of fish for tonight’s main, I’ll see what’s good, my friend isn’t very keen on rice so I won’t serve it to her two meals in a row, which is why I wondered about pasta...

Postby Amyw » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 am

I think good idea with the lamb about not doing a proper starter. I always think because curry is fairly filling and high on flavour, you want that too be the star of the show, plus personally I much prefer lots of nice side dishes with a curry rather than a starter before

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:15 am

I’m not making a curry - I’m cooking a joint marinaded in yogurt and spices

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox