Register

Garlic glorious garlic

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Garlic glorious garlic

Postby mark111757 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:35 am

Good article in the times weekend section 9/24/2029. Most of the recipes looked good using garlic, meat and veg.

Question 1...in the recipe for labneh, it calls for 450g of full fat goats milk yogurt. Not easy to come by in these parts. How's about a sub?? Full fat Greek yogurt. It may not have the tang of hosts milk.

Other recipes included chix with 40 cloves of garlic....roast garlic pork burgers, roast garlic fish pie, one with prawns and another with meatballs.

Question 2..in the meatball recipe it says to make them the size of a large marble. No idea on the size or more importantly the weight..

Recipes come from Garlic: Over 65 Deliciously Different Ways to Enjoy Cooking With Garlic by Jenny Linford

I think the chix in 40 cloves would makes a great Sunday lunch.

Re: Garlic glorious garlic

Postby Amyw » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:57 am

Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic is a wonderful recipe. As for the size of the meatballs , curl your index finger and thumb together into a circle , that gives you an idea .

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:21 am

When I played marbles, we used to call the big ones 'fourers' for reasons that I have long since forgotten. They were the size of golf balls (in my memory) or a bit smaller perhaps (in reality), but Amyw's suggestion is perfect.

The home grown garlic this season hasn't been great. I replant spare cloves each year, perhaps it needs fresh stock.

Re Labneh, some I've had hasn't been very goaty, use Greek yogurt. It won't be the same, but you'll get the texture. Subsequently, if you can find goat milk somewhere, maybe try adding a bit to the yogurt before straining it.

Postby Binky » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:50 am

When I played marbles, the local name for the game was either 'mabs' or 'allies' e.g. knock at door. Ragamuffin child asks "is Binky playin' mabs wi'us?"

The marbles were called allies, fourers, sixers. I think it was based on the value of the marble; a big fat fourer was worth 4 of the small marbles. We bought them in bags from the local toy shop.Boys and girls played equally.

The garlic chicken sounds good. I had lamb with 20 garlic prepared by a friend years ago, and wasn't looking forward to eating it after her description over the phone. It was delicious, to my surprise (I was a lot younger then and lacking in culinary knowledge and tastes).

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:37 am

Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic is a wonderful way to cook chicken and one I use regularly. You must have loads of fresh baguette on which to spread the garlic
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Binky » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:51 am

I tried that link joan but the caption 'invalid address' came up.

I'll have a look elsewhere, I think it's a fairly well-known technique these days? What has put me off is the need for 40 cloves. That's over 6 bulbs of garlic, and seems excessive. :?

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:02 am

Binky because you don't peel them and they are roasted they end up mellow and delicious and nothing at all like raw and/or peeled garlic
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:35 am

Jenny Linford’s recipes usually work well, I met her recently a festival, she is reassuringly competent, and very nice

A large marble would be roughly the size of a cherry tomato, keeping it foodie

Postby Renee » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:12 pm

I've often read walnut size … still keeping it foodie! :D

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:35 pm

I get the impression they´re being a bit precious using goat´s milk yoghurt. I´d just use full fat Greek.
As for the meatballs, ditto what everyone else has said. Just remember that the meatballs will shrink a bit when they´re cooked.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:12 pm

I think the goat yogurt would give the labneh a bit more flavour to stand up to the garlic and but as far as I know labneh is usually made with whichever milk/yogurt comes to hand, presumably the original recipe used gat
I could get it, but it would be pricey

Jenny Linford has written books on ingredients so she may be slightly obsessed. I have her first, she had the simple idea of going round the market stalls and little groceries run by immigrant families and collecting their recipes for the fruit and veg unfamiliar to most Brits. Really interesting and useful, but it must have been a lot of work for a slim volume.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:43 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:When I played marbles, we used to call the big ones 'fourers' for reasons that I have long since forgotten. They were the size of golf balls (in my memory) or a bit smaller perhaps (in reality), but Amyw's suggestion is perfect.

In my neck of the woods, we called the large marble 'the Donka' …

Hello everybody :thumbsup

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:54 pm

You may need a translationhttps://en.wikipedia.orgChicken with 40 cloves of garlic is a wonder way to cook chicken and one I use regularly. You must have loads of fresh baguette on which to spread the garlic

Unless I've missed something, the link doesn't work because it has become run into the previous sentence.

As for garlic, there's a bewildering range of varieties available these days. I find it a bit confusing which to choose, especially with regard to growing your own.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:28 pm

Actually, as it wasn't really about garlic - just how big a marble is. I've moved the post to Chatterbox for anyone who wants to know about marbles!

Postby Amyw » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:58 pm

I love garlic and use it a lot . Pasta dishes , curries , roasting , even wiped inside a salad bowl sometimes just to give a hint .

Found black garlic quite odd in texture and taste . Didn’t really know what to do with it either . Smoked garlic is lovely too

Postby Renee » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:01 pm

That's two of us Amy! :lol: However, after reading about it, I'll give it another try. I've only seen it in Sainsbury's and haven't looked recently, so hope that they still stock it.

http://www.blackgarlic.org.uk/

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:08 pm

I've always been very underwhelmed with smoked garlic Amy - we used to cart strings of it back from Calais - I loved the smell, but it didn't add enough garlic kick for me. Never tried black garlic tho' - will soon be on a mission.

Postby Suffs » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:58 pm

Back in the days when I lived close to a garlic farm and the owner smoked some of his crop I used to keep a bulb in a jar of rice ... it infused it with a delicious flavour.

Postby PatsyMFagan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:29 pm

Amyw wrote:Found black garlic quite odd in texture and taste . Didn’t really know what to do with it either . Smoked garlic is lovely too

I recently bought a tub of (Garlic Farm) black garlic from my local farm shop ... I keep looking at it and wondering what to do with it :? I have yet to find smoked garlic tasted of anything different than ... just garlic :roll:

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:45 pm

Hi Patsy, lovely to see you here :newhuggy

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox