Register

Jay Rayner's Last Supper

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Jay Rayner's Last Supper

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:20 am

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/a ... ast-supper

A shameless plug for his new book, and why not? Very good article I though. Am now thiking about mine. It would have to include oysters.

Re: Jay Rayner's Last Supper

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:49 am

Yes, a good read, PP.
Not to be confused with favourite meal I guess.

Mine would be a shared fish n chip supper, with a bottle of R Whites lemonade.

If my dad and mum went out to the local workings mens club, he'd usually come back with a large bottle of lemonade, and 5 packets of crisps, for we 5 kids.
We always waited up for their return.
But on the odd occasion, he'd come back with fish and chips for us all to share.
A delightful surprise that we were never expecting.

Postby Otterspocket » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:23 pm

Mine would be a piece of grilse boiled in vinegared water with jersey royals , peas lots of melted butter and salad cream

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:41 pm

It so depends on what the occasion is! A last supper in a caring hospice with all the family gathered round to say their farewells is a world of difference from the last night alone in a cold dank cell awaiting a lethal injection :-(

For the latter, maybe I'd try all the things I've not had the guts to try in real life; fried insects, brain, haggis, jellied eels etc.

Had to Google grilse, I read "gristle" at first glance. Brings to mind the "Beef Tendon Stew" I once ordered out of curiosity at Oriental City - basically stewed gristle.

Postby Otterspocket » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:50 pm

Sakkarin wrote:It so depends on what the occasion is! A last supper in a caring hospice with all the family gathered round to say their farewells is a world of difference from the last night alone in a cold dank cell awaiting a lethal injection :-(

For the latter, maybe I'd try all the things I've not had the guts to try in real life; fried insects, brain, haggis, jellied eels etc.

Had to Google grilse, I read "gristle" at first glance. Brings to mind the "Beef Tendon Stew" I once ordered out of curiosity at Oriental City - basically stewed gristle.

Eurgh that sounds gross !

My dad was an inshore / salmon fisherman when we were young so we’d often get young salmon to eat - usually when a seal had taken a big chunk out of it so couldn’t go to market

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:22 pm

I'm assuming I would be in a pleasant place so I'm with PP on the oysters - if not then sea urchins

Dressed Northumberland crab with Jersey royals and fresh baby broad beans

Fresh raspberries with a tiny sprinkling of sugar and perhaps a splash of framboise eau de vie
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:00 pm

If on my last legs, I reckon a curry that'll be emitting that unmistakable smell that makes one reach for cutlery instantly, plus that's easy to eat with dubious teeth :D

It worries me that if I were to hang my hopes on a dish, it'd be just my luck to get a lousy one, so an alternative would be to have a long row of those rather pretentious spoons where each one has a meal in a bite. A bit of everything would be right up my street plus, that way, I could have trifle, tiramisu, Black Forest gateau and lemon drizzle cake for dessert :)

Postby mark111757 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:56 am

I dug around and found the clip of Hestie and the overtones on the rob brydon show when an audience member asked what their choice would be for the last meal. I thought I heard hestie say prawn cocktail. He also mentioned what kind of mood you were in.

I agree, are in a prison cell or hospital bed. That would make a difference.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:45 am

Good article, the book isn’t released until next week

I have a ticket to hear him talk about it at Cookbook club on Wednesday 18 September, will be quite a small group only 40 tickets

I have to take some food that fits the theme, as the article suggests I’m a bit torn between foods that stir up memories and push me into nostalgia, and just those that would be part of a favourite meal

For me, the overlap zone between those is clearly seafood, but not sure how to package that - it has to be picnic food more or less.

Postby Otterspocket » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:56 am

Stokey Sue wrote:Good article, the book isn’t released until next week

I have a ticket to hear him talk about it at Cookbook club on Wednesday 18 September, will be quite a small group only 40 tickets

I have to take some food that fits the theme, as the article suggests I’m a bit torn between foods that stir up memories and push me into nostalgia, and just those that would be part of a favourite meal

For me, the overlap zone between those is clearly seafood, but not sure how to package that - it has to be picnic food more or less.

How about some canapé sized prawn cocktails served on a small lettuce leaf. You could transport the prawn cocktail in a Tupperware and it would take only a minute or two to either portion up or just leave people to load their own.

I love a good prawn cocktail and it’s both nostalgic and a treat at the same time

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:34 am

That’s the kind of thing I think

I’ve got a fortnight to think about it

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:26 pm

I was thinking more for dressed crab but it could work with prawn cocktail would be croustards - slices of bread, brwon or white rolled out to flatten brushed with butter and pressed into small tartlet tins - corners sticking up, then baked until crisp.

A bit more substantial than lettuce leaves if it is to be finger food.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:33 pm

There was a local restaurant famous for its crab choux

Filled mini-gougères might work though not sure how far in advance I can fill them, i.e. if I’d need to assemble on site. It’s not far away

Postby Pampy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:56 pm

Joanbunting wrote:A bit more substantial than lettuce leaves if it is to be finger food.

If it's crisp, wouldn't it collapse when you bit into it? OK if it's small enough so that it all goes in the mouth in one go but you'd probably end up with crumbs down your front if it was of any size. Also, they might go soggy if the filling wasn't dry. Little Gem leaves are usually quite robust so I can't see a problem with using them to hold the food together.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:42 am

Sue - how about piquillo peppers, stuffed with a mixture of smoked fish, ricotta and capers?
Easy to carry and not too hard to make.
Just an idea!

Postby mark111757 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:16 am

How about reseeded and deveined fresh jalepeños stuffed with cream cheese and breaded and deep fried?

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:42 am

Pampy I use mini muffin tins to make canapes croustades. One bite if you have a big enough mouth !

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:22 am

I think tracking down, prepping and serving either piquillo peppers or jalapeños might be a bit much. I like stuffed jalapeños but prefer them hot, and don’t really want to deep fry.
I could consider using some kind of small Turkish peppers or tomatoes for stuffing though

It doesn’t have to be canapés, just something I can transport and serve without reheating.

Postby jeral » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:24 pm

They say one should always go to his or her strengths, so if I ask you "What is the best thing you make?" What's the first thing that springs to mind?

For carrying, if you wanted to slice a terrine or a cake at home, you could get food-safe cellophane to separate and hold each slice. Baking cases can hold canapes. Disposable glasses and spoons for mousses or sundaes.

Postby Pampy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:33 pm

jeral wrote:Disposable glasses and spoons for mousses or sundaes.

Nooooo....plastic!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox