Register

blackberry picking

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: blackberry picking

Postby Amyw » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:10 pm

Berry ratings

Redcurrants 8.5 :yum
Gooseberries 8
Strawberries 8
Raspberries 8
Blackberries 7
Blueberries 5 much prefer cooked or baked in things rather than as they are
Black currants 3

I never see black currants and redcurrants only once this year in a very good greengrocers . Gooseberries seem to be quite in fashion at the moment so see them quite often

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:59 pm

Gill's 10...

10 out of 10 was a fresh fruit salad in Thailand in 1986, which I'm never likely to top, so 9 is high praise indeed...

Postby dennispc » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:25 pm

Oh Gill, that tart is gorgeous, but custard please. Cream or ice cream for OH.

Our mint in a tub and the pot haven’t been that successful for the last two years, pot one is as you describe.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:32 pm

Gill that pie looks gorgeous.

I don't actually like balckcurrants all that much and redcurrants only when cooked or in a summer pudding.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby cherrytree » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:50 pm

There are wild bilberries on our French market at one of those little one man stalls. He has chanterelles as well. The myrtilles are €14.90 a kg so I’m being very strong minded as they are so delicious.
I used to see them back home (blaeberries in Cumbria) but not for years now as the sheep get them first. They are my most favourite berry.

Postby Amyw » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:34 pm

Never tried bilberries what are they like taste wise

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:37 pm

I'm growing Chilean guava for the first time, my little plant has got fruits on it but I don't think they're ready yet. They are supposed to have a flavour all their own - in a nice way! Looking forward to trying them.

Postby Suffs » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:46 pm

Chop your mint down and give it a thorough soaking ... at least a couple of gallons. Another soaking at the weekend.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:43 am

BM - when your guavas are ready, you´ll know. The perfume is amazing. They should start to turn yellow - then they´re ready.

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:29 am

Hello KK

Chilean guavas are a little bush with red currant-like fruits. According to Wikipedia (it must be true then :D ) they're grown in NZ as 'New Zealand cranberries'. I'm not expecting them to go yellow like 'proper' guavas. Apparently they're in the same family.

Postby cherrytree » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:33 am

It’s hard to describe the taste of bilberries,Amy. I think they are more subtle than blueberries and far less sharp than black currants. I suppose the best way to get an idea would be to find a jar of wild bilberry jam if it’s at all possible.I just think they are gorgeous . Sorry to be so unhelpful.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:54 am

I used to pick bilberries on the moors in Northumberland. They are delicious. Much juicier that blueberries and softer and they stain absolutely everything that gets near them. There were savage myrtiles in our market too. I think they were €7.00 for a 250g box. I too said no-thanks.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Pampy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:25 pm

I think bilberries are what I know as wimberries. They grown on peat (acid) moorland, often around heather and where I live, usually start to ripen late August/September/early October, depending on the weather. They always used to be available in the shops when I was young but I've only seen them once (in a market) in the last 20 years or so - they're very labour intensive to pick so that's probably why they're no longer in the shops.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:26 pm

Wow, Badger´s Mate! I´ve never seen those! Are they tasty?

Postby smitch » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:54 pm

Pampy wrote:I think bilberries are what I know as wimberries. They grown on peat (acid) moorland, often around heather and where I live, usually start to ripen late August/September/early October, depending on the weather. They always used to be available in the shops when I was young but I've only seen them once (in a market) in the last 20 years or so - they're very labour intensive to pick so that's probably why they're no longer in the shops.

Yes, I thought that too. People where I live (edge of Saddleworth moor) talk about them with fondness but I've never actually tried them! What area do you live in :chrissytree1 ?

Postby Linnet » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:38 pm

We picked them as children in the Dales on the hills where we lived - if we could find them before the sheep and the grouse! Biggest treat was a bilberry pie if we could find enough. Years later we found them on Stanton Moor in the Peak District with our children, but last year while driving through the Vosges, we wondered why there were so many cars parked along the narrow roads. Whole families were on the hillsides, picking bilberries.

Postby cherrytree » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:05 pm

Probably with one of those amazing bilberry pickers that you can buy in French farmers’ shops. Lakeland sold them at one time but I haven’t seen one lately.

Postby smitch » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:30 pm

Hmm no idea where the :chrissytree1 came from in my last post :lol:

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:37 pm

Wow, Badger´s Mate! I´ve never seen those! Are they tasty?

I don't know yet, this is my first full season. The plant was essentially a stick in a pot but had put on some growth by last winter, then flowered and fruited this year. I understand the fruit takes a while to ripen fully.

I'd never heard of them until a couple of years ago when I went to a talk at an RHS garden show. It was all about unusual fruit and veg. As a consequence I eventually bought the Chilean guava and a Sichuan pepper plant.

Postby dennispc » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:05 pm

Are they the same as Somerset whortle berries?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox