Register

Salt

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby Binky » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:50 am

This is my salt haul, from visits to French supermarkets for the sel de camargue or a trip to Guerrero Negro in Baja California where the salt is collected on an industrial scale

Imagediesel gas station near me

We saw the sel de guerande at our local TK Maxx but the canister was discoloured at the bottom, as though it had suffered from damp. It put us off buying.

Postby Renee » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:07 am

What a wonderful collection of sea salt Binky!

Postby Binky » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:39 am

The French salt is reclaimed in a more genteel way.

This is how the Mexicans collect theirs

The whole area is covered in these orange trucks trundling backwards and forwards to the beach and back to the plant. We asked why so much salt was needed, and the manager said that salt was required in automotive manufacture, so much of it went to the US.

The local shops all sold the salt for pennies a bag. I think our big bag was about 20p. The French salt is ten times that!

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:51 am

We've got some salt from Tavira on the Algarve. Nearer French prices than Mexican, iirc

Postby Binky » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:06 am

We live 5 miles from Maldon. Their salt is French prices.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:09 am

When we lived on Long Island in the Bahamas we were temporarily housed in one of the beach houses owned by the American salt company called Diamond Crystal. To get to the hous we had to drive through the salt flats. Depending on their stage of evaporation the pans went from muddy pink to mucky grey and then finally white. They smelt horrible. They too were harvested by huge bulldozers. That place only lasted for a few years more after we left.

I see you have been shopping for your Camargue salt in Leclerc Binky!

I have also got Pink Himalyian and Black Cyprus, both given me for presents and I also use North Shields smoked salt which a friend sends me. Their pepper with chilli is good too.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby THE MOD TEAM » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:33 am

Why not start a thread on salts? And everyone post a piccy of all the salts they can find at home! Over to you Binky...

Salt

Postby Binky » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:10 pm

These are two more salts from my cupboard. I posted others on the Chatterbox thread. Maldon isn't exotic as it's only 5 miles away. The rock salt was purchased because someone told me that rock salt was healthier than sea salt.

Do you have a preferred salt?

Re: Salt

Postby jeral » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:18 pm

You have a fine collection Binky :)

I was sent some Maldon in place of Allspice. How they worked that out as a sub I've no idea. No worries though as I love sprinkles on almost anything, even though I don't use or like salt in cooking as it changes the taste too much.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:22 pm

If and when I can find it, I use sea salt. There´s a beach on Margarita island where salt is collected, and I buy it by the sack! It´s really divine, and you only need a little.

Postby Binky » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:32 pm

The rock salt is from seams thousands of years old, before pollution and other nasty things entered the ocean. Sea salt is contaminated according to some. I have no idea myself, and don't believe it would be on sale if it was dangerous to health

Postby Suffs » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:46 pm

I buy either Maldon or Cornish sea salt as my everyday go to for filling the salt pig in the kitchen.

The salt mill for our dinner table needs a hard salt crystal so I buy Waitrose coarse sea salt crystals for that and I have a jar of W’rose cooking salt for brining god pickles etc.

Postby jeral » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:52 pm

James Martin always insisted (or used to insist) that rock salt was better for fish. With hindsight, perhaps he might have been referring to freshwater fish.

Postby Binky » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:54 pm

Everyone used to have Cerebos or Saxa table salt.

Isn't that (table salt) fortified with iodine or something similar?

Postby jeral » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:58 pm

I think some in the USA have iodine added but definitely not in the UK. There is an inert de-clumping additive that's of no concern at all.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:59 pm

I seem to remember that most US recipes ask for kosher salt. I was never able to find why and how is it different
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby THE MOD TEAM » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:02 pm

Topics from initial Chatterbox discussion merged into Binky's new thread :)

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:06 pm

Great, thanks :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:09 pm

Joanbunting wrote:I seem to remember that most US recipes ask for kosher salt. I was never able to find why and how is it different

Yes, It's the iodine, Thomas Keller says it can make food quite bitter so Kosher salt, which is not fortified is often preferred

You can buy iodised salt in the UK, comes in a garish red and yellow packet so you don't get it by accident, I think the local Kurdish population prefer it as they come from an iodine deficient region, so some of my local shops sell it

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/cerebos-extra-fine-iodised-table-salt/559124-79136-79137?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwIPrBRCJARIsAFlVT88pXQ1xJ1c1w037I9bE7JX0_I_4qo_YQXmt6k_bipCyGecLFXVaaMcaAkgkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:26 pm

Sorry for double posting, but here's my salt and pepper collection, I put the pepper in to make it worth taking a photo

From left to right, bargain TK Maxx black pepper, yellow tin of posh Vietnamese pepper bought in Brighton, jar of pink peppercorns, TK Maxx sel de Guerande, jar of coarse sea salt crystals for table salt mill, salt pig containing fine French Atlantic sea salt for cooking

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox