Register

pizza toppings

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

pizza toppings

Postby wargarden » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:10 am

what are your favorite pizza toppings?
please only post the good combo on this thread and post bad ones on the
food crimes thread where they will have a lot company. Since pizza
toppings seem to be one of those food/ addition that seem to either be
very good or very bad with very little middle ground.

Re: pizza toppings

Postby Binky » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:42 am

We are very traditional with our toppings. Cheese, tomato, mushrooms, capsicums, basil.

We don't buy many pizzas, but of we do we like the sourdough vegetarian pizzas at M&S.

Postby cherrytree » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:28 am

So long as I never ever am given one with pineapple or sweet corn then I suppose I’m reasonably happy. But I do love anchovies as a topping.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:18 am

It's not the toppings I object to - though the anchovies, olives and cheese would do me fine - without the base!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Pepper Pig » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:21 am

Either the anchovies, mozzarella and tomato combination or very hot chillis, chorizo and other spicy meats. I nearly always leave the base.

Postby Amyw » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:22 am

I do like pizza if done well . I find too many toppings, it just becomes overcrowded. Bacon and mushroom is nice and my Local seafood pizza with anchovies and olives is nice .

I’m one of those heathens that doesn’t mind pineapple on their pizza . I object to what are completely separate meals plonked on top of a pizza such as hoisin duck or a fried breakfast

Postby patpoyntz » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:35 pm

Not keen on very strong tomato sauces, so my favourite is a white pizza. Thin layer of creme fraiche, then finely sliced red onions and scattered with a good salami and topped with mozzarella. If I have left over cold potatoes I sometimes put a few slices on first.
We have a large pizza oven in the garden, so often have do it yourself parties, and whatever I put out, the most popular topping is just tomato and cheese, anchovies and black olives.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:55 pm

I like most of the classics, Margherita does me fine, though I do like anchovies and olives and I love pepperoni; oddly while I probably wouldn't want to eat a plate of pepperoni and salad I think I prefer it to most salamis or hams on pizza, it is more juicy when baked.

I used to love Pizza Express 4 seasons pizza, in 4 quarters with different flavours, but last time I had it either the recipe or my taste had changed and they no longer seem to do it

I also like mushrooms, spinach, goat's cheese

I'd eat pretty much anything off the Franco Manca menu, note: they are smaller pizzas, which is why they look cheap - I can nearly manage a whole one! They are intended to be one decent single serving. Chorizo in place of pepperoni is fine

https://www.francomanca.co.uk/menu/

Postby MagicMarmite » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:03 pm

Anchovies and olives 99% of the time, sometimes with capers too.

Postby Suffs » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:37 pm

I’m of the school of less is more ... home made crispy pizza base with a homemade tomato topping, buffalo mozzarella, black olives and a few anchovies ... that’s just perfect.

Postby Binky » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:16 pm

What is it about the pizza base that people don't like? It's only bread.

Italian pizzas are thin and crispy. I don't like the Chicago style ones which are thick and gooey.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:20 pm

I´m not so fond of thin pizza crust; I prefer something I can get my teeth into.
Topping? Anything that includes one ( or several of) anchovies, peperoni, capers, black olives, buffalo mozz, and yes, roasted red peppers.
I went to the best Chicago Pizza Pie Factory in Chicago last year. VERY good pizza, if you like deep dish!

Postby Suffs » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:39 pm

The pizzas here https://www.kneadpubs.co.uk/sites/defau ... te-web.pdf are really thin and crispy ... almost like Carta di musica ... held together by the topping ... I’m not tempted by some of their topping options but keep it simple and it’s the best pizza I’ve eaten outside Italy. It’s also a really good pub ;)
Last edited by Suffs on Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby jeral » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:41 pm

Some bases just don't taste nice Binky having an odd taste to me that I can't pin down. Texture is important too, but no good if the taste isn't good.

My topping choice: Simple ones that don't soggify the base, e.g. sundried tom bits, black olives, a grating of cheese (not a shedload) - plus fresh basil leaves to decorate if possible.

My son liked those medallion slices of chicken breast tikka. I don't know if they exist in the USA.

Postby smitch » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:51 pm

I love a good pizza. Nothing too crispy or too thick, with decent tomato sauce, cheese and basil. Also enjoy mushrooms and/or olives and peppers. Goats’ cheese is nice too. I’ve also had a few cheeseless pizzas that I’ve really enjoyed.

Postby Renee » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:12 pm

Home-made tomato sauce, sardine halves, oregano and sprinkled with cheddar cheese.

Postby wargarden » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:08 pm

smitch what type mushrooms!
I guess button mushrooms. but there so many good ones besides button mushrooms for pizza

Postby Loulou » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:59 pm

As long as I have olives and anchovies, I’m happy. Prosciutto, mushrooms, chorizo, capers and chillies could also feature. I also like lots of oregano. Not a huge fan of Mozzarella but I’m ok with it. Franco Mancas is good!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:18 pm

Just waiting for the dough to prove, but tonight's is:

Tomato base (I used to make a sauce, but tomato puree is instant and I've found it virtually indistinguishable from a lovingly prepared sauce when you throw in all the other ingredients), onion, green pepper, mushrooms, black olives, green chilli, sweetcorn, pepperoni and cheese, mountains of black pepper. And a wee bit of crumbled Maldon salt...

That was going to be it, but I think I'll chuck in some oregano too now that Loulou's mentioned it.

I won't bother taking a pic, it will look like the one I made the other day, except thin crust instead of thick as I used 125g of flour rather than 200g.

EDIT: It was still pretty thick so I guess I'll have to go down to 100g of flour for dough for a thin crust for 1.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:30 pm

The most important thing, sakks, is that it tastes good!

Joan: I know you don´t like pizza. Neither does my brother - says it "crap" food!! :gonzo

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox