Register

Jamie oliver--veg

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Jamie oliver--veg

Postby mark111757 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:27 pm

A nice piece in the Sunday sun. I liked some of the recipes.

You can find it at thesun.co.uk and do a key word search for Jamie Oliver or go here directly

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/food/ ... y-verdict/

There are times that he comes across as big brother which irritates me

Re: Jamie oliver--veg

Postby Pampy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:11 am

Tesco have started to use JO as a contributor to their magazine, advocating veg-only dishes.

Postby wargarden » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:38 am

not sure if JO has a vegan ice cream recipe in his book.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:02 pm

not sure if JO has a vegan ice cream recipe in his book.

And your point is...?
Don´t confuse "veg" (vegetables) with vegan.

Postby jeral » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:58 pm

Looking at the recipes in The Sun link, JO seems to have fallen into the proverbial goat cheese trap, i.e. thinking that all veggies must eat nothing else, except in JO's case it's chilli and garlic.

I've noticed that garlic has become the prominent taste recently in anything created to be described as veggie or vegan. Whether that is to assure meat eaters that veggie dishes have flavour, I don't know, but IMO garlic is not obligatory, more a cop out in a lazy thinking way.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:50 pm

mark111757 wrote:There are times that he comes across as big brother which irritates me

Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But I would sub the word irritating for something somewhat stronger...………... ;)

Postby mark111757 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:04 pm

Lushy

How about pain in the ass, but as I have said I don't think he used to be that way!

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:48 am

Hahaha!

Yep, sometimes I think he should wear a dog collar and mount a pulpit in the studio...

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:12 am

My problem with Jamie Oliver is that he seems to have dirty habits.
Let me explain that.

When he's outside in his garden pit for example, mashing up a marinade with chicken in it. He dunks his fingers in, which haven't been washed from his manly cave prep.
And licks them for a marinade taste test, which naturally is excellent, despite not yet being cooked.

OK boys and girls at home, let's show you how to lick raw chicken off your fingers, by your favourite role model, JO.

He then chops up all the remaining gubbins, fingers licked, so that's fine then.

The hairy bikers have done it too. Wiggling a sausage, they are about to cook by the midgy infested river side, into your mate's earhole as a joke.
Then pop it straight onto their disposable bbq.
Nice!

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:41 am

karadekoolaid wrote:sometimes I think he should wear a dog collar and mount a pulpit in the studio...

Strangely enough last night I dreamed I was an Irish vicar or priest in full ceremonial robes ( they were tight) & taking a service, but I was fake, I hadn't been ordained - afterwards we all decanted to the smoky pub where the ladies eat pretty little cakes & the men drank pints what was all that about?!?! Any dream interpreters here? It was very odd - even for me!

Postby mark111757 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:27 pm

Gil

I was going to mention dirty habits about James martin. It looks like he is just rinsing his hands off, no soap just water. Am I missing something? Please chime in if I am. When I worked at the store, soap and water was the rule. Not only a store rule but a dept. Of health rule too. And if you didn't you were called on the carpet for it. What are the standards in the UK oil like?? Or it is coz it is TV and it is the king of stylee?

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:33 pm

In my very limited experience of industrial kitchens, the use of soap is not very common. This is because soap can affect the flavour of the food being prepared. Pad Thai a la Palmolive tastes a bit weird.

Water, however, is good - as long as grubby hands are under it for at least a minute or two. Chlorine and oxygen, what?? :gonzo

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:22 pm

I think in commercial kitchens now they usually have a small cloakroom type sink with hand wash gel and hot water, just for washing hands, so the soap doesn’t get in the food, and they also don’t spray the mucky water near food.

It doesn’t worry me too much what they do on tv, the germs don’t travel through the screen and on programmes like Saturday Kitchen when they are cooking in real time there’s the question of do you want to watch them cook or scrub their nails? Though of course I accept the role model issue

Funnily enough what does annoy me is people putting things in the fridge uncovered; the first time I saw Ching on tv she marinaded raw meat with garlic and other things, I think fish sauce, and put the bowl in the fridge uncovered, and I was really angry :D

Postby Amyw » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:17 pm

I went round my mums the other day and she had boiled eggs uncovered in her fridge and it stank . I gave her a stern telling off :lol:

Postby Pampy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:28 pm

I have a frost free fridge freezer and have been told by a couple of technicians that everything should be covered in the fridge - not necessarily for health reasons but because of the way they work - cold air from the freezer is blown into the fridge compartment. If there is uncovered food, the moisture in it raises the humidity so the fridge keeps working in order to blow it out. This is why the fridge compartment in a FFFF is drier than a conventional fridge. Hope I've explained this clearly - I know what I mean! :lol: :lol:

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:34 pm

I’ve been to a couple of James Martin’s live one-night shows where he’s cooked around 6 dishes but he always states that the audience is not allowed to sample them in case there are hygiene issues.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:05 pm

In the days when I did dems I was always told by the food hygeine bods that I should never allow any of the audience to taste what I had made. I would explain why I couldn't offer the food around but it really upset some people and if I left the food out for folks to look at some, invariably sampled it. I never got a sensible answer on how to deal with this but my editor always said if they have been warned then it's up to them. No-one died :thumbsup
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox