Register

fusion dishes good and bad.

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

fusion dishes good and bad.

Postby wargarden » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:07 pm

the latest food tread here at least last 5 years is fusion cuisine ?
mixing and matching elements from two or more different cuisines.
Have you tried making fusion dishes or have tried them somewhere else
and what type of dish or dishes were they.

the dish mentioned in Jamie Oliver thread
brown-ale-pulled-duck-nachos
a fusion dish if there ever was one.

Re: fusion dishes good and bad.

Postby Pepper Pig » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:42 pm

I don’t think I have a handle on US cooking at all. Fusion isn’t anything new here.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:51 pm

Fusion dishes have been around in the US for yonks. Nothing new there.
I have no problem with mixing two or three different cuisines, provided:
(a) at least some of the dish represents the original recipe
(b) the flavours of the dish complement each other
(c) they´re not just there to milk the fame of the original dish ( Chicken, mushroom and garlic Alfredo, for example)

I´m still eagerly waiting the arrival of Roast beef and Yorkshire Pudding, thai -style.

Postby wargarden » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:11 pm

Australia ,Canada, England,Scotland, Wales,Ireland, Argentina and Indonesia have had bad fusion dish
(chicken Maryland) ( to milk the fame of the original dish)
yesterday i sent letters to over 25 newspaper and 30 restaurant on 5 continent in 6 language on the proper way to make Chicken Maryland.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:31 pm

wargarden wrote:Australia ,Canada, England,Scotland, Wales,Ireland, Argentina and Indonesia have had bad fusion dish
yesterday i sent letters to over 25 newspaper and 30 restaurant on 5 continent in 6 language on the proper way to make Chicken Maryland.

In which case wargarden I think you seriously need help.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Amyw » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:38 pm

wargarden wrote:Australia ,Canada, England,Scotland, Wales,Ireland, Argentina and Indonesia have had bad fusion dish

:lol: :gonzo I look forward to hearing all the responses i am sure you will get Wargarden haha .

Going back to fusion , I’m not a massive fan most of the time . I think subtle twists are the way to go , for example I’ve had a lamb , mint and feta burger before “Greek “ style , which was nice but things like Hoisin duck pizza are just awful

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:57 pm

Why would anyone want to fuse anything with Chicken Maryland?

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:01 pm

In ths family. in the country in which we live, it is called confusion cuisine. I don't mind well thought out and subtle dishes which incorporate other cuisines. Some of our favourite chefs do include ingredients and tastes which are unknown in classic French cuisine. Which is why we like them so much - fusion food it is not - progress it is :crossed :crossed
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:32 pm

I've got a friend who has moved to Orihuelo in Spain, and she was moaning that this is closest she's been able to find to a good old British Chow Mein. It looks like it might walk off of its own accord if you didn't keep your eye on it...

Postby Renee » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:52 pm

I really don't fancy that Sakkarin!

Perhaps you could send her a Vesta Chow Mein with those lovely crispy noodles!!!

:gonzo :gonzo

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:55 pm

Just the job!

Postby Alexandria » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:08 pm

Sakkarin,

This is quite a small town north of Poblet and Dénia, Alicante and south of the Valencia border.

Definitely agree with Karakoolaide and Joan.

If done properly keeping a balance or equilibrium, good ingredients that compliment each other, etcetra, it could work ..

Many top chefs stage with other top chefs and they experiment with foreign ingredients and the merging of traditional Iberian península products.

Some work and some do not ..

There are also authentic traditional cuisines in Spain such as the combining of meat or chicken or fish with dried fruit (figs, dates, apricots etcetra ) which is the legacy from The Moorish and common in many Andalusian towns and cities and Toledo.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:21 pm

The big fusion round here seems to be "Asian" and other

We have, as I mentioned on another thread, quite a few "pan-Asian" restaurants, which seems in practice all too often to mean "I can't be bothered to work out the difference between Thai and Vietnamese" Asian only gets as far as SE Asia it seems most of the time

I'm probably guilty of it at home - I 'll make up a dish with noodles and whatever lurks in the fridge, and flavours that appeal at the time, but then I don't claim it's anything but dinner

I get very annoyed by people who don't bother to find out the source, I am tired of being told "Middle Eastern flavours, such as you find in Morocco" :( - which was about 3000 km west of the Middle East, firmly in North Africa, last time I checked (I just checked again - Cairo to Casablanca 4500 km)

Even the café over the road, which I will try soon, run allegedly mainly by Palestinians, has a "Damascus brunch platter" that features merguez sausage, which is Algerian in origin, and I never saw anything remotely like it in Damascus, not even on a menu or a guide book, certainly not on a plate though admittedly I wasn't there long.. Mind you the butcher firmly labels his house made merguez as "French" which doesn't inspire confidence in a pedant,

Postby Rainbow » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:45 am

Might I ask why??

Postby wargarden » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:02 am

the answer is simple. the dish has gotten bad reputation as being 1970 food joke or junk food Chinese take out in uk.

type chicken maryland on twiiter and other food message board you. see derogatory comments about the dish.
the in it's original form is delicious. In it's modern bastardized form in UK and other places is UK.

ps rainbow i private messaged a copy proper Maryland version of chicken maryland enjoy.

Postby Rainbow » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks wargarden, but as I have been a vegetarian for over 40 years I won’t be trying it!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:34 am

Haaaaaaaa!

Postby scullion » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:37 am

wargarden wrote:yesterday i sent letters to over 25 newspaper and 30 restaurant on 5 continent in 6 language on the proper way to make Chicken Maryland.

that seems like a real obsession.
do you actually speak six languages?
does maryland have no other specialities - other than the biscuits - that would merit talking about rather than just the one chicken dish?
maybe i'll have a go at replicating it with quorn fillets to see if it is worth the effort - they work well in a lemon/yoghurt/saffron middle eastern dish (and other recipes) in place of chicken but coating and frying them and a cream sauce with little else in sounds a bit bland.

we are having a fusion meal this morning - continental breakfast crossed with a cream tea.

Postby Loulou » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:17 pm

wargarden, I do not think that Chicken Maryland is a feature on as many menus as you think it is - in any form. I certainly haven’t come across it for about 50 years in the UK - I do not know about any other countries?

Postby cherrytree » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:31 pm

No I haven’t either which is a shame as Im sure it has authentic recipes that sparks as much controversy in the US as is the argument in the UK over a proper steak and kidney pudding.
We do have fried chicken shops as well as KFC though andI expect that causes a fuss when compared to chicken Maryland.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox