Register

Jamie Oliver- the naked chef bares all

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Jamie Oliver- the naked chef bares all

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:28 pm

I definitely agree with you Amy! :clap :clap

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:19 pm

I do too. Sometimes a bit of repetition is necessary to get important messages through. Simply because they are imprtant.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:19 am

I've now watched the Ch.4 prog. As it's a programme made by ©Jamie Oliver Productions Ltd, that probably tells you all you need to know.

The question it leaves me asking is how JO will be viewed from now on? As a failed "He who would be king" businessman leaving creditors high and dry, as a campaigner who failed to make changes (yet seemingly is now on a new mission), or as a still wealthy perennial book writer and TV programme maker and seller? He wants us to think the shine hasn't worn off yet.

Postby Amyw » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:08 pm

Or a chef that helped inspire a whole generation of home cooking and made cooking tasty meals seem easy and accessible to all . Plus someone who didn’t just rest on their laurels but used their fame and profile to try and bring awareness to certain food issues ??

At least he cares and tried to bring about change even if somewhat naive in his approach . As for failing businesses , his restaurants shutting was very sad, but I don’t think can be solely attributed down to him

Postby Pampy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:38 pm

Amy - :clap :clap :clap
Even though the Ch4 programme was made by his production company, it was Ch4 who decided to buy and air it - don't think they'd do that if it was just an ego-massaging exercise.

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:07 pm

Amy :clap :clap :clap

Basically, he has always tried his best.

Postby jeral » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:25 pm

Amyw and others, I agree totally, but I said "from now on" rather than as in an epitaph. So "a continuous campaigner" would be apt for instance and he is one of the few celeb campaigners who does actually get through to people in a positive way.

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:05 pm

Oh he does jeral and he particularly appeals to the younger generation I think. I once saw two staff members at Sainsbury's looking through one of his cookbooks with enthusiasm!

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:09 pm

Jeral - I think you´re reading too much into Jamie!
He´s just a straightforward bloke who cooks, preaches, campaigns, gardens, writes - and likes things natural and easy. I wouldn´t consign him to the garden shed quite yet. He´s only 40, you know!!
Successes and failures; that´s part of life. Ramsay´s had his problems, Marco Pierre White had problems - even our Ashes hero Ben Stokes has had problems ( but that´s off topic!!)

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:08 pm

I notice that there is a two part BBC Radio 4 Food Programme on Jamie Oliver queued up in my Sounds app
Might be interesting

Postby Binky » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Jamies's 30 minute meals is on the Food Network now.

He's done a Tuscan bread salad, which inspired me to make my version. He baked his ciabatta pieces in the oven; I toasted mine.

This isn't a great photo, but we're having this with pasta salad, potato salad and OH has marinated some organic chicken thighs which he is BBQing in 10 minutes.

Imageclosest chase bank branch

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:41 pm

Binky! You´re on a roll! Lots of delicious dishes coming from you !! :clap :clap :clap :clap

That Tuscan salad looks really good and easy to make. One to be bookmarked.

Postby Binky » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:18 pm

Thank you karadekoolaid.

We sat on the deck of our garden chalet, watching the sun go down, and eating lovely fresh food. We shared a bottle of chianti classico and some San Pellegrino.

There is hardly anything better in life is there? I find food such a comfort.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:28 pm

Good for you Bnky . have a lovely evening :newhuggy
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Amyw » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:58 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Jeral - I think you´re reading too much into Jamie!
He´s just a straightforward bloke who cooks, preaches, campaigns, gardens, writes - and likes things natural and easy. I wouldn´t consign him to the garden shed quite yet. He´s only 40, you know!!
Successes and failures; that´s part of life. Ramsay´s had his problems, Marco Pierre White had problems - even our Ashes hero Ben Stokes has had problems ( but that´s off topic!!)

Well said

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:23 pm

Your meal will be lovely Binky and the weather is perfect for barbequing! How do you spell that word? When I looked it up it seems that there are two different spellings. The other word has a 'c' instead of 'qu',

Postby mark111757 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:54 pm

Finally got my copy of bares all. It was OK. It was nice to see the dinner lady from Jamie's school dinners. She reminds me of someone that doesn't take any guff from anyone.

I think that JO may have tried to bite off more than he could chew and it came back and squarely bit him in this ass.

Mind you nothing g wrong in making money but I felt he spread himself too thin. It sounded like some locations were franchised while some were corporate. And the franchised ones were not looked at the same as the corporate. I did three years in the pizza business and saw it both ways. Very sad.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox