Register

Jamie Oliver- the naked chef bares all

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Jamie Oliver- the naked chef bares all

Postby patpoyntz » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:38 pm

When Jamie first appeared on tv, I thought he was a real breath of fresh air, and he certainly inspired my 2 sons, who were about the same age, to take an interest in cooking. They suddenly realised that cooking could be ‘cool’, and now many years later both my boys are excellent cooks, and love having friends round for meals. I enjoy his tv programmes, and have quite a few of his books which I use a lot. I have never been to any of his restaurants, they are too far away.
I agree with other comments on here, he has an excellent work ethic, is inspirational and seems a very genuine and thoroughly nice person.
Bit nasty, wargarden, to condemn him because of his not cooking chicken Maryland to your liking, and to state that he has upset, I won’t use your expression, other countries, and many people. I don’t think any people I know, would get so upset over cooking Chicken Maryland, which is not exactly haute cuisine.

Postby Amyw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:43 pm

I think the general point of his15/30 minute mealswas that you can make very impressive meals in a short space of time . Maybe he should have called them express meals a la Nigella rather than specify particular times . I still found them a good watch .

His Xmas gravy is very good indeed . I shall have to have a think about others and post but this is the gravy

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chi ... ead-gravy/

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:45 pm

But the point is LL that he didn’t put people off. See my post above. Channel 4 aimed those particular series at young hipsters. Personally I have never wanted to get a meal on the table in record time, I have the time and enjoy cooking at leisure but the youngsters are different.

His Ministry of Food Series for example was targeted at families who hadn’t a clue how to put a nourishing meal together, as were other shows including the dinner ladies stuff. It’s similar to how the BBC markets The Hairy Bikers, same ethos. He’s travelled a bit and showed himself to be really conversant with Italian cooking but then Gennaro was his mentor at one time. And, we forget this, he wouldn’t be on TV if he wasn’t a great entertainer.

I would so much rather have the likes of Jamie teaching my kids how to cook than the professional chefs who think they can make a bit of money by dumbing down their restaurant menu.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:48 pm

Thanks Amy, I have just remembered the gravy! A standard here for some years now.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:52 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...…………….………………………...you've used the 'C' Word :tiptoesanta :rudolph1 :chrissytree1 :prezzie2 :balls :prezzie1

:crying2

Postby Binky » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:54 pm

Did someone say Christmas?

Shall I get the sprouts on now, in readiness?

:rudolph1

Postby Renee » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:04 pm

Oh the gravy! It is excellent! I always used to make stock before Christmas using turkey wings if I could get them or turkey legs plus chicken wings which I roasted first to get more depth of flavour. I used to put sliced shallots and celery underneath the turkey, but I make Jamie's gravy now.

Postby Amyw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:16 pm

Haha one of my staff was messaging me last night with ideas on how to decorate the house for Xmas :stfu

Postby Renee » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:18 pm

Oh no! :shock:

Postby Otterspocket » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:22 pm

Binky wrote:As for the restaurants failing, the majority of 'Jamie Oliver' were part of a franchise, using the celebrity pull of his name. The quality of the individual places was therefore hit-and-miss; the one in Chelmsford was dire (not his fault, but as an Essex lad you would have thought he'd have a word with them). It rapidly closed.

It was only his non UK restaurants that were franchises all the UK ones were managed by him and his management team - he’s blaming everyone and everything for its failure which I think is a bit arrogant - other businesses have survived and indeed thrived through the same economic climate

I’m a bit nonchalant about him , some good recipes but nothing that made me buy a cookbook and blame him for the fact it’s impossible to find a full sugar lemonade in the mainstream.

Postby jeral » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:40 pm

I think some on here are coming down hard on wargarden merely for telling like it was as widely reported here and in the US after JO's failed attempt to convert/improve US school dinners as he had tried to do here, and also failed in the longer term. Regrettable yes but nevertheless true, however well he is accepted in other regards. As I said, you can't beat the establishment, as James Martin earlier found out with his hospital food initiative, more's the pity.

I'd say he was before his time in the US. Here, retailers can't jump on the vegan/veggie bandwagon quickly enough now, but JO must have been one of the first to make huge platters made of mostly fresh salads and veg.

I think, therefore personally of course, that it's mid-range restos that have suffered - too dear to be cheap enough and not good enough to warrant high prices. Overheads like rent and business rates don't help, nor does 20% VAT on the consumer, making "cheap eats" almost impossible.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:42 pm

Otterspocket wrote:
It was only his non UK restaurants that were franchises all the UK ones were managed by him and his management team - he’s blaming everyone and everything for its failure which I think is a bit arrogant - other businesses have survived and indeed thrived through the same economic climate

I think that particular model of pseudo-Italian fast food is the one hardest hit, hence the closing down of many Ask!, Prezzo and Carluccio’s restaurants. And believe me we haven’t yet seen the last of the closures. Fashions change and I think his team may well have been over ambitious but that’s how these things work. Italian is out of favour with the young at the moment but don’t forget he had a few good years running that chain.

Postby Amyw » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:48 pm

I agree about Italian food. I love it but never rush to go to an Italian restaurant . Mainly without sounding arrogant, but if I go to a mid chain restaurant, I know I can cook just as well, if not better at home.

I think there are a lot more cuisines that have sprung up recently that have piqued peoples interests, particularly from Asia , that Italian is a bit of a safe option at times

Postby Binky » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:23 pm

One of the local Italian restaurants has a vegetable risotto at £17 and a baked aubergine with tomato and basil at £18. Whaaaat?

Postby Pampy » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:51 pm

Binky wrote:Did someone say Christmas?

Shall I get the sprouts on now, in readiness?

:rudolph1

Oh lord - I forgot them - is it too late to start now? :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Renee » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:54 pm

Yes!!!

:gonzo

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:44 am

There are definite fashions in eating out, not just amongst the young and or trendy. Where once 'foreign food' was Italian and Chinese (or French if you were posh), there are now many options. The town in which we live, and the one just down the road, now hasn't got a Chinese restaurant between them. There's a catchment of 50 thousand souls if the outlying villages are included. A dozen or so Chinese takeaways of course, maybe more. 4 Thai and 2 Japanese restaurants, no Chinese.

We seem to regard Chinese as a commodity takeaway rather than a place to go out to. I think that's a shame.

Edited to add

I have found JO recipes to be pretty reliable and use a couple quite regularly. He can be a little irritating at times and has clearly made the odd ricket, but his heart's in the right place IMHO

Postby Binky » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:02 am

Don't you think that the Chinese takeaways were the architects of their misfortune? Slimy bamboo shoots and bean sprouts, everything with an overpowering MSG taste, dubious smells from the kitchens.

Also, the one nearest us (closed down a few years ago) was forever having its drains cleared because they disposed of their fat in the sewer system and were causing blockages. Not very nice for the community.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:47 pm

When Jamie first appeared, he was a breath of fresh air. No more stodgy old meat and two veg, cooked forever. I think he inspired a whole load of people who might not ordinarily have bothered to cook.
Has he done well for himself? You bet he has. He´s built a huge food empire, travelled the world, taught people how to cook simple, fresh, tasty food. Has he ruffled some feathers? Of course he has. Anyone in the public eye will have their supporters and detractors. Why did his restaurant chain go broke? My personal opinion is that it was a combination of (a) poor management ( wasn´t it his brother-in-law who ran the chain?) (b) spreading himself too thin (c) not demanding quality control (d) not really an exciting option, good old Italian.

These days it´s amazing what you can find in your local town. I come from good, old, boring Maidstone. Last time I was there, I detected Chinese, Thai, Nepales (2), Indian, Argentinian, Spanish, Italian,Polish and Vegetarian food there. Way back when I was a kid, it was the Chippy +1 Chinese Take-away + Curry Inn!!

Postby wargarden » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:02 pm

When Jamie first appeared, he was a breath of fresh air. No more stodgy old meat and two veg, cooked forever. I think he inspired a whole load of people who might not ordinarily have bothered to cook.

i remember several better UK food shows before Jamie, and food was better then Jamie's.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox