Register

Favourite drinks

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Favourite drinks

Postby Binky » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:33 pm

I am about to make a strawberry daiquiri and wondered what other peoples favourite drinks were.

I also like a frozen margarita, but we don't always have tequila in the cupboard.

G&T is another favourite but it hardly counts as its so easy to make.

:wino

Re: Favourite drinks

Postby Otterspocket » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:37 pm

I rarely drink alcohol these days and never during the week but if I do have a drink at home it’s either vodka and orange with added bitters an espresso martini or a small glass of cognac to sip.

Usually have a couple of frozen cocktail pouches in the freezer but haven’t had one for a while - like one of those in the hot tub as minimal alcohol and feels holidayish

Postby Amyw » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:54 pm

Am having a vodka with sparkling kiwi and pear water . When I’m good I have vodka with a diet mixer , normally lime and soda .

Wine I mainly drink a dry rose. Love Prosecco and drink lager too , quite fond of a peroni at the moment

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:28 am

Single malt, preferably from Islay; IPA ( Adnam´s Ghost Ship when I´m in the UK); Mezcal; Assam tea, and fresh mango juice. Not necessarily in that order!!

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:32 am

I'm a lager drinker when we go out, but I never drink over 4% alcohol, as I cannot take the strength. Twice a week, usually after the cinema.

My favourite mix is a grasshopper, mmmmmm minty. But I haven't had one for years now.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:56 am

Tea, beer - less struck on lagers than other types, whisky - preferably malt, tea, dark rum, cider, perry, virtually any wine, tea. I also like a margarita. Water, lassi, ginger beer, tea.

It very much depends upon context. On a hot day overseas a lager can hit the spot. I'm more likely to drink coffee in countries that don't get tea. I don't generally drink sweet wines but after dinner is another matter. Quite partial to a Pimm's on a summery afternoon.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:02 am

Gin, gin and more gin :gonzo

Apart from that water, 2 small cups of espresso a day, pastis, wine though rarely red these days because it doesn't like me any more. Good sweet wines with the right things. Pimms in the summer, Champagne at any time or season. After dinner, Cognac, Calvados or Armagnac or a really good rum and just now and then a fruit eau de vie like poire William , ice cold from the freezer. I wouldn't refuse a green Chartreuse either

I don't like beer of any sort or whisky, I don't drink tea or anything milky
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby smitch » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:37 am

I really love tea. My first cup of the day is always Lapsang Souchong, then Earl Grey after that. Switch to decaf Earl Grey in the afternoon. I always drink my team black with no sugar.

I also try to drink plenty of water during the day but don't always manage it. I do enjoy sparkling water too. If I'm in a bar and don't want alcohol, I tend to go for a soda water.

Alcohol wise, I love a gin & tonic, (good tonic though, hate the really sweet stuff), some bourbon whiskey and occasionally have a glass of red wine.

Beer is one of our hobbies, we both really enjoy trying different beers and visiting breweries, brew taps and good beer bars/pubs. Style wise, I prefer west coast IPAs, sours, saisons and am drinking more stouts and porters than I did in the past. I also enjoy smoked beer, we're going to a smoked beer festival in October that we're really looking forward to. Not keen on traditional bitter, red ale or brown ale, they're too malty for my taste.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:45 am

No tea
No milky drinks
Lots of water occasionally flavoured with lime cordial
Odd ginger beer, but not generally any other fizzy drinks
Sometimes a favourite cocktail viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4095&p=71974&hilit=Cocktail#p71974
Sometimes pastis or vermouth, preferably Noilly or Dolin. I’d drink Lillet but for some reason the only version easily obtainable in the UK is the rosé which is the undrinkable version.

Wine depending on mood, location and food
Beer ditto but locally an IPA or American Pale Ale

That’s about it. I wish I could find a “tea” I liked, so much easier to drink enough in winter if you have a dilute hot drink in your repertoire

Postby Loulou » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:45 pm

Mainly tea and instant coffee - but good stuff! Proper coffee in a cafetière on Sunday. Instant decaf after dinner. Hate Lapsang Souchong - Yuk! Love white wine, gin and tonic and very occasionally, beer. Had a really nice one on Saturday which was Thai beer in a local; began with a Ts I think?

Postby Meganthemog » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:04 pm

Water first and foremost - If I could only have one drink for the rest of my days it would be water every time. No tea horribly allergic to it. Coffee a couple of cups a day, gin and tonic, red wine - nothing too grunty! Love a Margarita when it is really hot - which isn't now as it is raining - again!

Postby WWordsworth » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:38 pm

Water
Builder's tea.
Proper coffee. All of these daily

Red wine, preferably Portuguese.
White wine, by choice a NZ sauvignon
G & T
Whisky
Brandy
Beer, usually a weak-ish IPA, nothing citrussy and definitely no lager.

That's about it.

Just remembered, love champagne and a strong Margarita.
Have had a bit of a yen for brandy & babycham lately.
Must be 25 years since I had one.
Is babycham still made?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:48 pm

You can get Babycham, it more often seems to come in full size bottles these days. Appears in Asda annually around the same time as the advent calendars :lol:

I suspect the magic would work with a splash of Prosecco or cava instead

Postby jeral » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:02 pm

My mum, life long tee-total, had two Babycham Bambies as ornaments for years, probably more to do with the Disney film and love of animals though.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:24 pm

I had a Babycham Bambi, from my grandpa's pub

It didn't last long, they were made to be looked at not played with :(

Postby Wic » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:31 pm

I like dry white wine and Fino Sherry. And the occasional Damson or Sloe gin. It’s not that I never drink anything else, but I usually don’t. I’d rather stick with what I like.

Never, ever, tea, but I like filtered coffee and some instants. In fact, I’m moving towards drinking hot water sometimes, it seems a better option than dubious coffees.

Postby Binky » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:08 pm

Nephew is here cooking for us, and went out to buy ingredients. Strawberries were reduced to £1 a punnet, so he brought some back for eton mess later.

I've swiped some for a Strawberry Daiquiri. Sipping it now, with my feet up perusing the weekend papers.

I think this can be added to my list of favourite drinks.

Postby Pepper Pig » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:31 pm

These are dead good.

https://nixandkix.com/

I was a gin drinker for years but I’ve changed to vodka which I like straight. My breakfast drink is Tea Pigs Popcorn tea or Rooibos. :)

Also very partial to Horlicks.

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:09 pm

I used to like Ovaltine (malty) and Horlicks mixed together before frothing. It's a long while ago now though.

Bloody Mary for brunch.
Vodka with a hint of grapefuit juice.
Vodka & dry Martini or Pale Sherry as aperitifs.
Anything except gin really.

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:58 pm

Pepper Pig, I love the sound of the Mango, ginger and a little cayenne. I must watch out for those.

If I'm out and driving …

Lime & soda
Ginger Beer
Coke

Alcoholic

Campari with tonic or soda (Rarely)
Aldi's Kooliburra Reserve Australian Shiraz & Cabernet. Only £4.09
Asda gin with Fevertree tonic with Angostura Bark
Sherry Oloroso from Sainsbury's (Rarely)
Belgian beer Duvel (not very often)

A cocktail served on EVA air when travelling to Taipei, Vodka, Midori and tonic. It was green and the colour used by EVA air.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox