Register

Smoked courgette/zucchini?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Smoked courgette/zucchini?

Postby Youngerberry » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:27 pm

Hello, I have a glut of yellow courgettes, and was wondering how to smoke them, to use in something like a baba ganoush. I usually put an aubergine straight onto the hob, and char the skin, but I don't know if that would work with courgette.

If you're unfamiliar with the yellow variety, I should tell you they are far less watery than regular green ones.

Re: Smoked courgette/zucchini?

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:33 pm

Hi there, Youngerberry!

When I make babaganoush, I take some mango twigs from the garden and heat them until they begin to smoulder. Then I add the aubergines and cover the whole lot with foil.
I´m not suggesting you use a mango twig! But any fruit twig ( apple, plum, cherry,etc) would do; or even an oak twig. Or a rosemary twig. Then you can smoke your courgettes.
I wouldn´t cook them as long as I cook the aubergines, mind you.

Postby Youngerberry » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:39 pm

Thanks for the reply :) Are you saying you then put the covered aubergine and smouldering twigs into a hot oven to cook? Or are your aubergines already cooked?

Postby Amyw » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:24 pm

Welcome younger berry :klingonbanana . I had a google because I love baba ghanoush and love courgettes so really liked what you were thinking of .

Though not exactly baba ghanoush like , I thought this recipe sounded nice https://www.abelandcole.co.uk/box-recip ... courgettes.

BBQing would be a good option , though you’re brave to attempt in this weather , or I’d griddle to get those nice charred marks , to give you that smoky taste

Postby Binky » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:49 pm

I don't roast aubergines, instead, in order to get a smokey taste, I use chipotles.

Also, I have found this product https://tinyurl.com/y32hhzxx which I would like to try. Has anyone here used it? It gets good reviews.

Postby jeral » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:00 pm

I started a thread to ask about liquid smoke a while back. I could probably find it but the upshot was that you get what you pay for. Ditto chiplotles (a different thread) as some jarred has very little chipotle in it. Perhaps both are better if you start with the good stuff to know what's what.

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:24 pm

Binky, I used to bring liquid smoke back from America many years ago. I seem to remember that it worked well and sometimes added it to barbecue sauces and well as in a marinade.

Postby jeral » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:55 pm

Youngerberry, hi and welcome.

Another way you could try is to halve them lengthwise and put under a hot grill until the skin burns. This is a normal method for bell peppers so it might work. I don't know how thick the yellow courgette skins are though.

Postby Youngerberry » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:08 pm

jeral wrote:Youngerberry, hi and welcome.

I don't know how thick the yellow courgette skins are though.

They're not as robust as a pepper, so I'm not sure if that would work. I think I'd just end up with cooked courgette, but it might be worth a try.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:32 am

Are you saying you then put the covered aubergine and smouldering twigs into a hot oven to cook?

I generally make mine on the stove top, in a cast iron pan. If I were to make it in the oven, I´d get the twigs smouldering first and then stick the lot in the oven, well-covered.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:27 pm

An excellent article on subject vegetables:

Http://www.zarahome.com/GB/editorial/at ... -Thorisson
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renee » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:56 pm

Thank you Member 461. I enjoyed watching the video and what a lovely place to live!

Postby Alexandria » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:32 pm

Renée,

You are very welcome.

Yes, it is an amazingly lovely video and a marvelously simple recipe too.

She just authored a book not too long ago ..

Have a lovely day.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Youngerberry » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:32 am

I found that when I scorched the skin of the courgette, the interior didn't cook, and no smokiness was imparted to it. I made a baba ganoush with it anyway, once I'd softened it, and while it lacked the smoky flavour, the texture was good. I'll have to pick up some liquid smoke.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:23 am

That´s probably because the courgette skin is thinner and less robust than an aubergine skin. Yep, I think it´s liquid smoke time!

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox