Register

what do you dip your chip/french fries in?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: what do you dip your chip/french fries in?

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:47 pm

Mark . Aioli and chips just wouldn't work.

If it doesn't make your throat sting then it isn't aioli. I make force 4 aioli for amateurs, force 6 for visitors and force 8 for locals and us - this is 8 cloves (big Povencal ones )for 2 eggs . The more garlic you eat the more your body copes with it. An aquired taste I know but when you live here it pays to aquire it!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:59 pm

Good heavens Joan!!! I am learning something here! If I lived in France, I would be happy to use 8 cloves of garlic, but not here. :lol:

Mark, I always roast garlic before using it. It gives a more subtle flavour. I have a halogen oven, so much cheaper to run rather than a conventional oven. I suppose you know to have everything at room temperature before you start.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:18 pm

Funnily enough, I just had sweet potato wedges, and thought how good they would be with aioli. Or romesco (roasted red pepper sauce)

I wouldn’t select aioli as the dip for frites, but who am I kidding? If it were on the table it would be employed. :lol:

I love a really powerful aioli in the right place, but roasted garlic dressings are quite different, though very good with some things

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:53 am

As I don't really cook with garlic that much at home, it just grows roots in our house, I'm probably a force 4 (I love that scaling).
I've no problem eating more than that, the Garlic and Pasta dish - ratio'd in that order, I always have at an Italian must have 10 cloves. Tony turns my face away when I have it.

Mayo for chips, I lived too long in Belgium to use anything else.

What do the Belgians do to their mayonnaise? It's the best I've tasted.

My preference is chips on their own, just with chips.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:39 am

When I did the slow roast shoulder of lamb on Sunday I put a whole head of garlic, unpeeled but split into cloves in the roasting tin with it, 45 minutes before taking it out, I added a stack of unpeeled baby potatoes. I served the two together with the meat so that folk could decide if they wanted both . Everyone did and there was a fresh baguette to spread the garlic on. just as good as bread and dripping :yum
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby cherrytree » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:44 am

Joan, when I get back to Cumbria and have the usual family Sunday meal I shall do that. It sounds quite gorgeous.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:07 pm

just as good as bread and dripping

Praise indeed :yum

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox