Register

what do you dip your chip/french fries in?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Postby wargarden » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:48 pm

I know the dips people dips are seasonal and local.
So what is your chip/french fries dip of choice and what wild ones do like as well?

Re: what do you dip your chip/french fries in?

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:59 pm

I would use a mix of mayonnaise and tomato ketchup, Wargarden.

Postby Pampy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:03 am

Dutch pinda saus or mayonnaise.

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:51 am

I remember the Dutch Joppiesaus, which we had in the Netherlands. It is based on vegetable oil, water and an emulsifier. It also contains onion and curry powder.

It looked like mayonnaise, but had the extra ingredients so ideal to use as a dip.
Last edited by Renee on Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:04 am

Depends on the chip and what I’m eating it with

Can be ketchup, mayo, the various sauces you get in Belgium and the Netherlands but my favourite is tartare sauce

I do not understand the habit of pouring curry sauce or gravy on already slightly soggy chip shop chips.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:47 am

I'm with Sue on this one. tartare sauce or possibly Belgian/Dutch sauce. I can't stand soggy chips so never curry sauce or, worst of all malt, vinegar.

I never eat the things on their own anyway. We have them mostly with fish, , moules. M is quite fond of steak frites in which case he would have mustard.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Amyw » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:08 pm

God I love vinegar on chips and salt :yum . Also have curry sauce but dip the chips into it rather than pour it all over. Can’t stand gravy on chips and always think poutine looks vile .

With normal chip shop chips it’s always ketchup . Thinner French fry style chips , ketchup or mayo

Postby cherrytree » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:09 pm

Joanbunting wrote:I'm with Sue on this one. tartare sauce or possibly Belgian/Dutch sauce. I can't stand soggy chips so never curry sauce or, worst of all malt, vinegar.

I never eat the things on their own anyway. We have them mostly with fish, , moules. M is quite fond of steak frites in which case he would have mustard.

I hate salt and vinegar on chip shop chips. I do like HP sauce with them, not on them though.

Postby cherrytree » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:11 pm

Seeing your reply Amy reminded me of the French news last night. I discovered that the leader of Russia is known as Poutine over here. I did laugh, knowing how pompous and thin skinned politicians all over the world can be.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:50 pm

(1)

Salsa Brava which consists of:

Smoked Spanish Paprika from La Vera, Extremadura and is called "Pimentón", both piquant & sweet combined.

Tomato Sauce from scratch.

Air dried Chili Pepper.

Salt to taste, Freshly grinded black pepper, Sherry Vinegar (2 tblsps. ) and 250 ml. beef broth from home made stock.

(2) Or home made "Ali oli " .. Simply garlic pounded in a mortar with a pestle and Extra virgin olive oil produces sort of a textured mayonnaise.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:51 pm

I have never understood the appeal of putting acetic acid on hot food, I don’t even like people doing it near me

It’s always a disappointment when I pick up some crisps from a bowl to find they are mixed flavours including salt and vinegar

Postby Pampy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:52 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I have never understood the appeal of putting acetic acid on hot food, I don’t even like people doing it near me

I'm with you on that. My sister always puts loads on vinegar on chips and it - literally - takes my breath away!

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:28 pm

I haven´t got a favourite.
It could be ketchup, mayo, curry mayo, BBQ sauce, salt & vinegar, tartare - anything will do.
EXCEPT strawberry jam. :crying1

Postby jeral » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:11 pm

If it's just a bag of chips, salt and malt vinegar is fine. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Heinz salad cream as a dip yet, especially with string fries. There's also a honey mustard bbq squeezy bottle that's not bad for a change.

What are the dips and wild ones you like wargarden?

Postby Amyw » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:18 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I have never understood the appeal of putting acetic acid on hot food, I don’t even like people doing it near me

It’s always a disappointment when I pick up some crisps from a bowl to find they are mixed flavours including salt and vinegar

God I love salt and vinegar crisps , though you can’t beat a really good ready salted packer of crisps like Kettle crisps . Cheese and onion on the other hand :thumbsdown . I hate mixed flavours of crisps , there’s always one you’re bound to hate lurking in there

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:35 pm

Chip shop chips get salt and vinegar - 'non brewed condiment' if not being brought home, vinegar from a jar of pickled onions if they are. Chips eaten out get tomato sauce or anything that comes with the dinner - mayo, salad cream, tartare, barbeque, Hollandaise, Béarnaise, salsa verde. If I half-inch Mrs B's it will be tomato...

HM wedges get any of the above plus the possibility of flavoured mayo, garlic sauce, mushy peas.

I think my favourite crisps are salt and pepper.

Re: what do you dip your chip/ in?

Postby wargarden » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:19 pm

i am glad to see no one posted the traditional american accompaniment of ketchup for
my favorite dip is bbq sauce or a mustard type sauce use in bbq.
I also like honey and a garlic based creamy sauce.

but that the thing i love about chips/ french fries that can go with just about everything as
long as they are not cooked with herbs.

I seen seafood spice, malt vinegar,melted cheese, and cocktail sauce used to dip chips as more common
dip.

Postby scullion » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:41 pm

salt and vinegar on chip shop chips. mayo, garlic mayo, chilli mayo or tartare sauce if they are the better, crispier type of chip.

Postby Wic » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:59 pm

Mayo for chips, I lived too long in Belgium to use anything else.

If we are talking crisps, though, anything goes. Guacamole is good, for example.

Postby mark111757 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:39 pm

Depends on my mood, and what is available.

Hellman's Mayo always tops the list, served on the side. Maybe catsup too.

Ranch dressing such as hidden valley ranch also works. T. Marzetti is a good brand here in the States. The same for their blue cheese dressing. Kens steakhouse brand also hits the mark. Marzetti as I recall makes killer file slaw dressing.

I tried making an aioli once and even with a tiny bit of garlic it was way too strong..possibly roast the garlic next time.

Mum gave me this before she died......https://www.amazon.com/Oskar-14181-Sunb ... B006P1Z7PG

Was great for doing aioli, practically fool proof. Especially in small quantities. And it still works.....

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox