Register

What is your “Secret Ingredient”

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: What is your “Secret Ingredient”

Postby Pampy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:08 am

If I'm making pizza I use tinned anchovies so I use the oil from that to make the pizza dough.

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:10 am

Now that's a good idea Pampy!

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:28 am

Used for adjusting the texture of puréed soups

Now why didn't I think of that. What a jolly good idea, Sue.

Postby Pampy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:56 pm

Cheapo instant mash is also very useful for sprinkling in a buttered dish before assembling fish pie ingredients - it soaks up some of the liquid from the fish.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:35 pm

I can´t say I´ve got one particular ingredient that I prefer over others.
Sometimes it´s ketjap manis; sometimes its Tau Si, sometimes it´s anchovies, sometime chocolate, sometimes sundried tomatoes - depends on what I´m making.

Postby Amyw » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:25 pm

What’s Tau Si please? Know I could google but always good to hear first hand

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:45 pm

I always keep the oil from jars of sun dried tomatoes, artichokes & olives and use it in suitable dishes. I don't use much fish in oil but anchovy liquid can be used sparingly in a stew. I used to make Kate & Sidney pud with a little bit of anchovy and garlic. I haven't done one for years, really should make another.

Postby scullion » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:30 pm

i forgot - the liquid from a jar of olives usually gets saved to add to savoury things, as does the rind of parmesan (which gets removed before serving).
mushroom stock cubes are my go to stock, as well as dried mushrooms, powdered and a small amount added to things. if i have mushrooms that start looking shrivelled i dry them completely then grind them in the'coffee' grinder.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:44 pm

I am so shallow and predictable. Just the mention of Kate and Sidney has me craving a pud.

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:48 pm

Me too!

I've just ordered Kallo Mushroom Stock Cubes, also the French Onion cubes, which I can never find in supermarkets.

Postby scullion » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:14 pm

i buy them from the 'baltic' supermarket.

Postby Suffs » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:42 am

I keep anchovy essence handy to add a teaspoon to beef casseroles, pies etc , mushroom ketchup is also useful adding depth and richness to the same dishes, and a splosh of Worcestershire sauce is always added to Shepherds and Cottage Pies.

Along with a teaspoon of mustard powder I add a pinch or two of celery salt to cheese sauces, also cheese scones and pastry.

And not really a secret ‘cos it’s traditional, but I always keep the ‘heels’ of Parmesan to add to minestrone while it’s being made ... as the warmth and moisture penetrate it begins to melt and impart its flavour to the soup :yum

Postby Binky » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:55 am

What an interesting and useful thread.

I have eschewed instant mash due to food snobbery, but shall certainly pop a pack in my trolley when I'm next at a supermarket. My soups are generally OK, but if I'm in a rush and not using a recipe (my favourite for this is pea soup) I just chuck in lots of frozen peas without weighing and the resultant soup is sometimes a bit 'thin'. Instant potato powder can solve this.

I don't have secret ingredients as we both tend to follow recipes religiously and only use what recipe calls for. I did know about the use of a potato in pasta; Jamie Oliver mentions it in his Ministry of Food book (published 2008/9.)That's the book and TV series which was supposed to get ready-meal and chip eaters cooking properly and affordably. I am sure he credits the Italians with the original idea.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:59 am

I think my secret has to be dried wild mushrooms. They keep for ages, rehydrate beautifully and add tons of flavour to all sorts of dishes.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:30 pm

What’s Tau Si please? Know I could google but always good to hear first hand

Amy - just noticed this and I hadn´t answered! :shock:

Tau Si are fermented black beans, used in Chinese cookery. I believe they´re salted, then dried. They last for ages.
A chef friend believes they´re one of those ingredients you either love or hate, like marmite!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:16 pm

Ah, I’ve got those in the fridge, but I didn’t know the term Tau Si

To me they even taste a bit like marmite!

I’ve also got Lee Kum Kee Black Bean and Garlic Sauce which is a great “secret” for a very quick and tasty stir fry.

LKK recently changed their packaging to make it more friendly to anglophones but the contents don’t seem to have been dumbed down

Postby scullion » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:56 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Tau Si are fermented black beans, used in Chinese cookery. I believe they´re salted, then dried. They last for ages.
A chef friend believes they´re one of those ingredients you either love or hate, like marmite!

i, too have some of those, not in the fridge. i assumed that the amount of salt in them would stop anything growing. they've been on the shelf for quite some time and haven't changed in taste at all. love them.

Postby Binky » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:26 pm

Sakkarin, following your example I bought some crispy fried onions, but looking fully at your post, I think I was 'done' as I paid £2 for the bag :?

My question is, what can I do with them apart from cheese and onion scones? Are they nice scattered on soup for instance?

Postby jeral » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:01 pm

I bought some in an airtight tub and did sprinkle those on soups like mushroom or sweetcorn. Sometimes on or with omelettes.

Mine went soggy quite quickly so I added them to some stirfires where they suited. I wonder how karadekoolaid keeps his crisp...

Postby Binky » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:06 pm

we have one of those vacuum pack gadgets, so I can make an airtight bag or three.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox