Register

Can we have a 'Favourite recipes' thread?

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Can we have a 'Favourite recipes' thread?

Postby Binky » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:20 pm

I see so many wonderful recipes that are spread out over the site..and can't find them again (so annoying).

I want to be able to quickly find ideas for salmon, tofu, pasta, Kerala prawns, curries, and all other tasty dishes mentioned across this site.

If posters favourites were all in one place, that would help (like our own tried and tested cook book). Agreed?

Re: Can we have a 'Favourite recipes' thread?

Postby Amyw » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:23 pm

Yes I think it’s a good idea . I know another forum had a new recipe thread where they posted new recipes they tried . I can see the only drawback is that people tend to post recipes in general chat over certain topics eg tofu. I think a thread just containing recipes might miss out on the general chat that accompanies it ??

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:47 pm

Binky: I´ve got so many favourite recipes, I´d probably take over the thread :gonzo :gonzo

Have you tried using the search engine, at the top of the Home Page? That generally works for me.

Postby Binky » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:02 am

in order to search, you need to know what you're looking for.

My problem is that I don't always know this; karadekoolaid mentioned a specific sauce tonight, which I'd never heard of before, but it sounded fab. I can't even recall which thread it was on - salmon maybe? I will never find it again, and that's my little grumble.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:23 am

My favourite pasta, I know Karadekoolaid recommends it sometimes his way.
Simple spaghetti with finely chopped fresh chillies and slivers of garlic, sauteed in lots of evoo. Toss the pasta in.

Even parmesan does not enhance it. But you can sprinkle with grated parmesan if you wish.

Postby Pampy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:09 am

It's amazing how some very simple dishes can be so delightful. A favourite of mine, especially if I've been busy, is simply spaghetti tossed in evoo and a bit of butter, with grated parmesan and plenty of black pepper, along with a good glass of full-bodied red wine.

Postby jeral » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:20 pm

A difficulty with posting T&T recipes for me at least is that I'll have made a lot of tweaks which need a lot of explaining plus I have to remember them if tasting as I go. Also people expect such recipes to work perfectly despite different ovens' variances etc.

I write some of mine down occasionally to give to someone who particularly likes something but honestly it takes me half a day as things I do without thinking or by eye have to be measured or explained in detail - nightmare.

Postby Binky » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:53 pm

Maybe not proper recipes as such, more like gastronomic ideas (Gill's pasta and salmon was new to me, as is making a teriyaki style sauce with fresh ginger, or a splash of ginger wine and garlic).

As long as I know roughly what the ingredients are, I can tweak away to my heart's content. I don't like long, laborious recipes in any case - if you read the i newspaper, they have a column called Daily Recipe. It takes up a quarter of the page.

Today it was cajun halloumi burger - simplicity itself. Could be done in under 12 lines, but no, we got the quarter page. It's paella tomorrow, and there will, no doubt, be an essay on that.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:32 pm

Binky - the sauce was called ketjap Manis - I´ve sent the recipe by PM.

Postby jeral » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:49 pm

Binky, I think there used to be such a thread on this board mark one incarnation which attracted some fabulous if complex recipes. It wouldn't have caught the "ideas" sort though.

Why not start one? You can set the ground rules, not that anyone takes notice of rules lol, then just see what comes in? It might rely on people remembering or bothering to duplicate a recipe idea.

It can be a drawback in continuous thread formats that any comments or questions can arrive after several new ones have arrived so they're hard to follow, especially if people start with "It" without saying what "it" is. That is true for searches too as some posts don't mention the subject matter at all.

Still, only one way to see what comes in - open a thread and find out...

Postby Binky » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:50 pm

Ta.

It is important to me that people have actually cooked and enjoyed the dishes/sauces/marinades themselves, not just read the recipe online or in a book, and then posted here.

Postby jeral » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:06 pm

That sounds like Rule No. 1 and an overriding one to me as everything after should conform with it. So, "Made yourself and eaten".

What other things? It's easier if posters know at the outset rather than trying to add or change them later. I imagine links with a note of tweaks would be OK. One thing I find helpful is knowing the elapsed time, e.g. sitting in fridge overnight or proving time. Others might have input on this if you are throwing the floor open.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:33 pm

Here´s a couple of things I do when I find a recipe I really, really want to use again.
1) I use a cut & paste option, paste it on to a "word" document, and store in in my computer under " My Recipes".
2) ( Says he, entrenched in antiquated, totally non-21st century methods) I write in down in my recipe book. Yep. A school notebook, labelled " Recipes #1", or something. A recipe per page; then when I need to make a comment (too much salt, more ginger, whatever) I´ve got space to write something. I´m currently motoring through "Recipes #5", which my kids think is hilarious. "Pa! Put it on your mobile!!", but it´s not the same. I can´t glance at my mobile when I´m cooking; far less do I want a mobile splattered with garlic, tomato sauce or bechamel. :gonzo :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:59 am

Yeah, technology and the kitchen are a messy mix.
I print out by the page, and put in those big colourful folders, sauce, veggie, fish, baking, chicken, lamb beef pork.

Tried and tested, I laminate the splash laden article.

eg this is a cut off Gary Rhodes curry sauce one, plus a separate tart one that was particularly delicious.

Vid here: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2us1uq, he cannot pronounce horSHradiSH.

The curry sauce is one I make all the time.

Have you got a laminator to help?

Postby Alexandria » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:07 pm

Generally, a wise idea.

Good option, would be to label as follows:

Favorite Meat Recipes
Favorite Indian Recipes
Favorite Italian Recipes
Favorite Salad Recipes
Favorite Avocado Recipes
Favorite Sauce Recipes

etcetra. By category of product and then the foreign cuisines.

Would eliminate, the " looking for a needle in a haystack " ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:07 pm

Member 461, a good idea in principle but the search engine would reject all of those as being words too commonly used across so many posts that it would find hundreds. Searching needs a better tagword, so sumac would work but lamb wouldn't.

Unless you mean once recipes are in a single thread.

Postby Binky » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:24 pm

Gary Rhodes, eh. What happened to him? And Ainsley Harriott. And Lesley Waters.

Postby Pampy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:27 pm

Binky wrote:Gary Rhodes, eh. What happened to him? And Ainsley Harriott. And Lesley Waters.

Ainsley H has a programme showing on ITV at the moment - Ainsley's Caribbean Cooking or something like that.

Postby Pampy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:29 pm

jeral wrote:Member 461, a good idea in principle but the search engine would reject all of those as being words too commonly used across so many posts that it would find hundreds. Searching needs a better tagword, so sumac would work but lamb wouldn't.

Unless you mean once recipes are in a single thread.

And using a generic term like "meat" wouldn't find recipes that name a specific ingredient, like lamb, beef etc

Postby Binky » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:36 pm

Pampy, is that a re-run or a brand new show?

Jamie Oliver is on the Food Channel, but it's all old stuff.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox