Register

Coriander

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Coriander

Postby scullion » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:54 pm

even though i'm vegetarian i also put a few lumps of chocolate in chilli and have done so for decades.
it gives good mouth appeal and as long as it's not so much that you can recognise the flavour it gives a richness and possibly an umami type of touch, plus maybe the touch of sugar in it does its bit for any tomatoes used.
as for coriander, i love it and aways have bunches in bags in the freezer. i don't bother chopping it as when it's frozen you can just crunch it all up into little bits.
i usually let some of it go to seed and sometimes put the green, unripe seeds in salads (along with other green seeds, like parsley and onion).
when my son was born his breath smelled of green coriander and did so for a few months.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:25 pm

All four parts of the coriander plant taste different to me - and I use them for different things.
Jeral - you´re absolutely spot on with the orange flavour of the seeds. Lightly toasted and freshly ground, the added flavour is superb. And yes - they can be used in chocolate. In fact, many artisan chocolate makers over here use it . They´re also mixed with caramel and sold as a sort of "nut brittle".
The leaves I use for garnish, for pesto-type sauces and for seasoning - as I would any other herb. The stalks, however, are for more intense and I use them when I want a textural contrast. The roots - in Thai green curry.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:27 pm

Annoyingly coriander used to come with the roots on here, but haven't seen any for a long time

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:43 pm

In the 18th and 19th centuries, Venezuela was the major exporter of cocoa beans in the world. Cocoa grows all along the Caribbean basin to the south, and right up to México in the north. Mole Poblano uses cocoa as one of its many ingredients - but not all moles as the same. I usually add a bit to my chile con carne, just like many of you.
But that´s another thread!!
http://justfunfacts.com/interesting-facts-about-cocoa-beans/

Probably one of my favourite recipes is from Kerala - fish, or prawn Pappas. The first masala uses 3 tbsps of coriander seed, freshly ground; plus a bit of fenugreek, chile, mustard seeds, ginger, garlic and finely chopped onion. Once this has cooked a little, add tomato paste and coconut milk. Then add a tsp of paprika, black pepper, chopped green chiles, and the prawns. Salt to taste, heat through till the prawns are cooked.

Postby Amyw » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:26 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Annoyingly coriander used to come with the roots on here, but haven't seen any for a long time

Our local greengrocer used to sell bunches of coriander with the roots intact but haven’t seen them for a long time

Postby Pampy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:59 pm

Where I am, there's loads of Asian shops so getting coriander with roots intact isn't a problem.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:42 am

All the shops round here, whatever their ethnicity seem to get mainly Cypriot coriander, which used to come with roots but no longer does, the lady at the Indian grocery was quite annoyed about the lack of roots herself.

I’ll look in Chinatown when I remember, I’m told you can actually buy frozen root in the oriental superstores.

I also need to get some lesser galangal, aka Chinese keys as half the recipes in Baan seem to use it.

ETA I just Googled and there’s a Thai supermarket near Hackney Town Hall, think I ignored it as it’s small and I thought it was one of the many Vietnamese shops round there. Walking distance.

Postby jeral » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:36 am

If coriander is grown in various parts of the world (courtesy karadekoolaid's post), could it be grown here from seed? I get the impression it might have weed-like habits if it's so prolific.

Postby Pampy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:59 am

I've grown in both outdoors and in a pot on the kitchen windowsill. I treated it as an annual and re-planted seeds every year.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:44 pm

I grow a lot of herbs, but coriander is one that has eluded me - it just won't grow for me - so shop bought it is. Not that long ago, Asda's used to sell enormous bunches of it - root intact - don't see that anywhere now unless I go to the middle-eastern shops.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:23 pm

It grows here, but goes to seed very easily. It can be grown as micro greens, which give you a bit more time, but planning continuity of supply is tricky.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Yes, I've given up on growing Coriander
Even if you buy one of the varieties that are labelled as for leaf, and bolt resistant, such as the variety that is (confusingly) called Cilantro it will go to seed if you turn your back on it for a few minutes - or that's how it feels

Getting the roots is probably the only thing that would persuade me to grow it again

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:01 am

There is a herb called pipiche which is similar in flavour, but shrubby. It makes a substitute for coriander, covering the gaps in supply, but doesn't grow quickly enough (at least not for me) to replace it in any great quantity.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:43 am

That sounds like fun, BM.
I´m off to Mexico later this year, so I´ll look it up!

Postby Binky » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:56 pm

speaking of Mexico and chocolate, I've never eaten a churro.

I spotted a pack of churros and chocolate dip in M&S earlier this week, but baulked at the price.

Might get some as an Easter treat next year.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:25 pm

The point of churros is really having them fresh and hot, like fairground doughnuts
The things M&S put in packets amaze me

You do occasionally see churros stalls around at food fairs, markets etc in the UK - there was a South American girl had one in Dalston shopping mall for a while

I remember having them in Spain as a child, I have had them since

Postby Amyw » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:29 pm

Churro are one of Gods greatest creations. The M&S ones aren't really worth it, like Sue said you have to buy them hot and fresh . They're basically long doughnut/fritter style things . I'm not a huge cinnamon fan but love cinnamon sugar with them

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox