Register

American fridge/freezers

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: American fridge/freezers

Postby Mrs Vee » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:11 pm

Gill, the freezer side of mine doesn't have drawers at the top, just four adjustable glass shelves and two drawers at the bottom.

Like this...https://ao.com/product/rs54n3103sa-sams ... 52-27.aspx

I think most American style FFs are similar.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:37 pm

Do you know what I d really like in any tall freezer?

Drawers or crates that are designed to be taken out and put on the counter as you sort through them then just pop back, a bit like those wicker baskets that slide into shelves

It’s easy enough to take the drawers out of my freezer, but putting them back when heavy is tricky

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:45 am

Oooo thank you both for the pictures.
I'm liking them more and more.
We'd even probably get good use from the water tank :lol: As we have water in the fridge all the time.

By the way.
My advice would be to see how cheap replacement trays are (for any fridge purchases, not just American).
When door trays or fridge shelves break, some are hellishly expensive.

Our door tray cost £7, at an online spare parts site.

That way, you can add more shelving too, if there doesn't seem to be enough.

Postby Wic » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:58 am

I agree about the drawers. Our last fridge freezer had two vegetable drawers, which live again in a cupboard because they don’t fit in the new one. We bought some plastic drawer things in Home Bargains, I think it was. They are great for jars etc on the top shelf.

We are slightly embarrassed about our fridge. All last year we muttered darkly about how quickly supermarket milk went off. One day we found the long lost fridge thermometer at the back of a drawer, so put it in the fridge. That was a surprise. We found that, basically, we had had a cupboard with a light in it, it was hardly colder than the air temperature in the kitchen. John Lewis saw us very quickly after that. The new fridge freezer is wonderful, everything lasts longer! But the shelves are a pain and you can’t alter the ones in the door, so you can only put small things in the ones above the milk and wine shelf.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:59 pm

John Lewis are great for this sort of thing.
I get anything electrical there.

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:17 pm

John Lewis have been in a bit of trouble lately for not honouring guarantees Gill. I’ll trawl online but I think I read it in Which. If they are anything like Waitrose then I suspect their standards are slipping.

Postby Wic » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:42 pm

I love JL for most things.

We’ve never had a problem with guarantees. In fact, last year when we bought a laptop one day in the Oxford St one and that night found it wouldn’t work, they exchanged it in our local one with huge apologies two days after.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:48 pm

If you live in van delivery area JL are usually the most reliable for delivery, in my experience

But I had trouble with them when I needed a repair to something with a 2 year guarantee about 15 months in (stereo radio) They tried not to honour the guarantee on the grounds I didn’t have all the original packaging. They were very rude about it too

Postby jeral » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:19 pm

Many thanks from me too for pics, info and links. Huge amount to look out for and consider.

A big worry is that with open shelves in the freezer, mine would be running non-stop as I delve into my drawer freezer frequently for ice cubes. Plumbing in isn't possible I'm afraid.

A comparison of litre volumes with what I have in my fridge and freezers now is needed too as there's never as much space I think it looks like.

It crossed my mind to wonder whether on an item of such price it would be worth buying through one of those cashback companies.

Postby jeral » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:25 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:...[clip]... They tried not to honour the guarantee on the grounds I didn’t have all the original packaging. They were very rude about it too

Blimey, time to check the T&Cs fine print. I imagine that one's statutory rights probably ran out before 2 yrs, but how a faulty item can be excluded from their own guarantee due to packaging makes no sense. Unless like some companies Step 1 is to reject all claims regardless.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:10 pm

I think this was step 1, look for a reason not to do it

I got the repair, but it didn't last long

Postby Pampy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:58 am

jeral wrote:
It crossed my mind to wonder whether on an item of such price it would be worth buying through one of those cashback companies.

Definitely!

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:07 am

You've reminded me now of a rubbish result with John Lewis cookery department.
I had a massive lifetime Meyer frying pan, only for fish and eggs. As they would stick like a sticky thing to my le C frying pan.
After 2 uses, the anolon surface split and cracked.

JL woman accused me of gouging it with a screwdriver. Huh? Where do they dream up these ideas.

I left it with her to have it tested in the "lab" for a fault. And heard nothing.

Just for incompetence, I got the £50 back as a goodwill gesture. But not as part of the guarantee.

Postby Pampy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:58 pm

I had a Meyer frying pan that went the same way after a couple of years use. I took it back to Debenhams where I'd bought it and they exchanged it without a problem, even though I didn't have the receipt. The saleslady said that they would be reimbursed by Meyer.

Postby Binky » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:18 pm

We had a similar problem. I wrote to the manufacturer seeing as Debenhams weren't - at the time - interested in helping. I provided photos of the pan, with a tape measure to show the exact size.

Meyer sent me a new pan in the post within a couple of weeks.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:43 pm

My experience of American style fridge/freezers is vast, I suppose. That´s all we get here.
Mind you, with tropical heat all year round, a big fridge with an ice-maker is essential. We use ice far, far more than in Europe.
In the States, everything goes into the fridge; sauces, bottles, pots, leftovers, veg, everything.
Can´t say I´m very keen on the water dispenser, mind you. Tastes of anything ( or everything) you´ve got in the fridge!

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox