Register

Rice question

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Rice question

Postby Binky » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:28 pm

Is glutinous rice the same as sushi rice?

The recipe asks for jasmine rice or glutinous rice. I didn't think jasmine rice was sticky......

Re: Rice question

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:38 pm

Jasmine rice can be very sticky Binky depending on how you cook it & that's what I use for sticky rice - which The Lushly loves - some olo at the start of cooking it helps along with not putting much water in the pot.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:42 pm

What's the recipe?

Sushi rice and glutinous rice are different as far as I know - yes wiki confirms this
Wiki also says that When cooked, white jasmine rice has a slightly sticky texture which agrees with what LL says

Postby Binky » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:45 pm

I bought Ching He Huang's book recently. This is the recipe (I won't be using chicken)

https://www.copymethat.com/r/LkVKwNW/ch ... icken-fri/

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:58 pm

I can see that either would work, as long s completely cold when you start frying

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:00 pm

Binky - if you are going to use your pre-cooked rice (jasmin) you need to have that cooked & sitting in the fridge for a good few hours & chilled -applies to any rice you're going to stir fry - stops any 'mushiness' & keeps it whole - even when you want sticky, & lets you get on with stir-frying all other add-ons to it.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:01 pm

Snap Sue - you got there before me…………….. :D

Postby Binky » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Thanks for that tip, both of you.

I am not doing it tonight, probably one evening next week, so will have plenty time to ensure the rice is stone cold.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:56 am

On a slightly different note, I've noticed that a lot of sushi rice on sale in the UK is produced in Italy. It looks like short grain Italian rice. I suspect that it, unspecified 'risotto rice' and pudding rice are the same thing marketed at different prices. I intend to make a risotto and some sushi with pudding rice, which is the cheapest, to see how they turn out.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:49 am

I've since seen it in Tesco recently, but I had trouble tracking down pudding rice a while back when I wanted to make a rice pud.

I vaguely recall it being called Patna Rice when I was a kid, the pack I saw recently was actually labelled "Pudding Rice".

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:19 pm

I think Patna rice was the long grain (usually American) rice that was boiled to death to accompany curry

Pudding rice, also from the US, was Carolina round grain rice

I’ve noticed a resurgence of pudding rice too, apart from anything else I think East Europeans use it

Postby patpoyntz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:13 pm

I’m sure everyone knows this, but paella rice makes a lovely rice pudding. I use it because I always have it on my store cupboard and often don’t have pudding rice.

Postby Renee » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:18 pm

No I didn't know that Patpoyntz, so many thanks!

Postby Alexandria » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:32 pm

Renée,

There are many types of Spanish Rices that are Designations of Origin.

Valencian Arborio Short Grain

Murcia: Calasparra

Arròs Rodó Perlat: Moli de Pals, Empordà, Girona: :thumbsup ( the website is in Spanish and Catalan however, if you click Tienda (store) you can see the product and write them and ask if anyone in their sales dept. speaks English. They ship. 1 Kilo is less than 3 Euros. 5 Kilos are 9 Euros ..

The best rice for rice pudding is the Arròs Rodò Perlat, because this rice is a tiny pearl shaped rounded short grain and the results shall be much creamier.
It is 100 % Natural and the website is: http://www.arrosmolidepals.com

However, if you cannot get this historic rice ( 1452 ), then buy a Calasparra or a Valencian Arborio.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renee » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:57 pm

Member 461, thank you very much for all that information. I can get Arborio rice easily enough over here.

Could you tell me what the Arròs Rodó Perlat rice is used for, before I contact them please?

Postby Alexandria » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:50 pm

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup

I use it instead of Valencian Arborio because it is finer, more sublime and much lighter than Arborio.

Uses:

Shellfish rice = "Caldoso", this is a "wet rice," sort of like a stew with fish stock, Mediterranean herbs and a wide variety of shellfish and fish, like cod for example. It has the base of tomato, garlic, onion, red bell pepper, (sofrito = tomato, onion, red bell, Green bell, garlic & the stock ) and the pearls of rice, fish of choice, prawns, and mussels or clams ..

Arroz con Pollo = rice with chicken prepared with a chicken stock & vegetables .. Similar to a chicken Paella but quite different in texture and flavor.

Classic Rice Pudding = I use goat milk for mine.

Traditional Soups = one can use in a chicken soup or meat based soup`or vegetable soup.

A side dish too of rice ..

Bean Dishes too .. Just combine your cooked beans with your cooked rice.

Surely, you can use in Asian Cuisines as well, but I am not very familiar with these cuisines ..

It is extraordinarily lovely rice.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renee » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:08 pm

Thank you! :thumbsup :thumbsup I do like the idea of using it in a fish stew which is something that I've never tried. I would use it in soups too, also Arroz con Pollo.

Over here in the UK, we have so many rice products, canned tomatoes from Italy, but not from Spain, although we do get a wide selection of fruit and vegetables from Spain.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:48 pm

Renée,

Sounds like a couple of great ideas .. ( a fish stew and an "arroz con pollo" ) ..

There un-acountable varieties of rices. however, the ones I mentioned are historic Spanish rices.

The Moors brought them over to Spain, from areas of the Moghul Kings (Pakistan), India, Iraq, Syria, Persia etcetra.

Wow. It is almost midnight .. :wave

Let me know how the dishes turn out .. And photos !!!!

Postby Renee » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:19 am

It will have to wait, Member 461, because I'm going away soon and then Colin is coming to stay later in the month. I'm desperate to lose a bit of weight at the moment, but I love the idea of the rice with fish and also with chicken.

Postby jeral » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:13 am

Renée, switching to brown rice can help in diets as it's one of those things that keeps you full for longer, like oats. It's also slightly chewy so takes longer physically to eat which is good.

Going back to Binky's original question about jasmine rice, it isn't as available I find since it got much more expensive but there is something called fragrant rice which you might like if jasmine isn't around.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox