Register

Meditteranean: Bouillabaisse,Brodetto,Cassola & Cacciucco

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Meditteranean: Bouillabaisse,Brodetto,Cassola & Cacciucco

Postby Alexandria » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:23 pm

In Italian gastronomy, the word Brodetto (Abruzzo) denotes a fish soup and it is an ancient dish of the fishermen´s catch brought home. Cassola, is a Sardinian fish and shellfish stew with historic traditions from the coastal fishing villages and Cacciucco, is a renowned fish stew from southern Tuscany, the port of call Livorno. Bouillabaise, is a traditional Marseille fish, shellfish stew prepared in several courses. On the Northern coasts of Spain, there is seafood stew called: Zarzuela de Pescado, very common bill of fare in Northern Costa Brava. Zarzuela is a musical theatrical Operetta ! A highly enjoyed and popular Sunday festive lunch.

These fish and shellfish stews, have been made since time memorial in the Mediterranean, the Adriatic, The Aegean and on the Atlantic Coast of all the Mediterranean countries, each with their own nuances based on the fresh catch of the morning.

Have you ever prepared a Mediterranean fish stew ? Which fish and shellfish varieties do you use ?

Have a lovely weekend.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Meditteranean: Bouillabaisse,Brodetto,Cassola & Cacciucc

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:08 pm

Well I´m too far away to call it Mediterranean.
The fish stew here is called "Sancocho de Pescado". Everything goes into the pot; fish, potatoes, onions, garlic, yams, manioc root, taro root, plantains - and then it´s just a case of waiting for it to cook.

Postby cherrytree » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:12 pm

You could always read a recipe for Cullen Skink, Member 461 although it would be impossible to prepare from Mediterranean fish. I just sometimes think we don’t tell the world what fabulous fish we have in UK waters.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:43 pm

Oh they know all right Cherrytree - they take most of it...…………. :(

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:25 pm

Of course I have Member 461, I make all sorts of versions but usually of the simpler sort , Bourride. Aigo Sau etc. No home cook in their right mind makes Bouillabaise ot Soupe de Poisons. I tried to do the latter once and nearly lost my marbles.

If you want a decent plate of either you go to a decent restaurant or buy the soupe from a good fishmonger.

On the other hand I have made dishes like Cullen Skink, crab soup and so on.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Pampy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:48 pm

Joanbunting wrote:Of course I have Member 461, I make all sorts of versions but usually of the simpler sort , Bourride. Aigo Sau etc. No home cook in their right mind makes Bouillabaise ot Soupe de Poisons. I tried to do the latter once and nearly lost my marbles.

Like the idea of poison soup! I can think of a couple of people I'd like to serve it to!

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:58 pm

Pampy wrote:Like the idea of poison soup! I can think of a couple of people I'd like to serve it to!

Me too Pampy so I won't edit the post!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:09 pm

Karakoolaide,

You do not have to live on the Mediterranean to prepare a fantastic fish or shellfish stew.

It is just very common here ..

Have a lovely weekend. :wave :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:20 pm

Cherry Tree,

Living in Barcelona and having family and a 2nd home on one of the capes in Northern Girona, Cadaqués,
and a father and 2 grandfathers with boats, we prepare our shellfish fish stews from the daily catches depending
on the season and local availability.

When in Barcelona, I go over to Le Mercat de La Boqueria in Barri Gotti and purchase wild shellfish and seafood or finned fish
for our seafood stews, caught in local Mediterranean Waters along the Costa Brava.

We use, mostly shellfish (except oysters), squid, rayfish, monkfish, Norway Bay Lobsters or Scampi, crab and lobster in our seafood stews as well as Catalan or Alicantine Rices.

Have nice day.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:26 pm

Joan,

Thanks for the feedback .. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, Bouilaibaisse is not a simple creation !

However, Cassola Sardo and Brodetto are relatively easy to prepare.

Poisson = fish in French, and Poison in English, oh yes, I guess we all have our foes .. :evil:

Have a lovely weekend. :wave :wave :wave

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:30 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Amyw » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:53 pm

Can we not have multiple posts by same person in a row ? I just find it falsely gives the impression a thread has had a lot of responses but when I click on it , it’s just the same person answering each post individually

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:45 pm

Poison.
I love it! I didn't even spot it, Pampy. Well done you.

It's not a falso amigo, though, Member 461. Nope, poison isn't the same thing in English.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:59 pm

I happen to know, as it happens, Pampy is an expert in the field of poison(s) - may make certain folk uncomfortable....……………………………...

Postby Alexandria » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:07 pm

Gil,

I think you mis-read what I said.

POISON in French = Fish in English

Poison in English = Something toxic or venonmous

Any way, have a nice weekend ..
Best regards from Sardinia.

Postby Linnet » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:10 pm

Member 461 - poiSSon in French....... not the same at all!

Postby wargarden » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:20 pm

sounds like seafood boil in new England.
as for Bouillabaise it was made with trash/bicatch fish the fisherman could not get good price for,

Postby cherrytree » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:29 pm

Whether it is made from old rubbishy fish or from the finest that the Med.can offer I find Elizabeth David’s extract in French Provincial Cooking a most evocative read.

Postby Pampy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:16 am

Lusciouslush wrote:I happen to know, as it happens, Pampy is an expert in the field of poison(s) - may make certain folk uncomfortable....……………………………...

I sure am - that's what you learn when you live near to Pendle Hill! :lol: :lol:

Postby Alexandria » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:25 am

Linnet,

Fish in French is spelt with a doublé "s" ( poisson ) ..

Was typing on a coach .. a typing error ..

Have a nice summer. :wave

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox