Register

Breakfast treat

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Breakfast treat

Postby Binky » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:15 am

I try to have different things each day at breakfast - one day eggs, another day cereal, another porridge, toast and marmalade (OH has the same thing each day, cereal/eggs/toast and coffee).

Today it's croissants, and I have some new 'confitures' from Tiptree. Lime Mojito and Bucks Fizz.

Has anyone else tried them?

Re: Breakfast treat

Postby Renee » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:27 am

Those do sound good Binky, but haven't tried them. I enjoyed a visit to the Tiptree place whilst staying with a friend a couple of years ago.

I did notice Tiptree liqueurs in Sainsbury's.

Postby Binky » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:50 am

Tiptree has branched out from standard jams. As you say, they now make liqueurs and fancy jams.

They also have the most wonderful tea rooms (about 8 I think in Essex, and one opening shortly in Aldeburgh, Suffolk).

We often use the one in town for lunch when out shopping.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 am

No, I've not tried them. I bet they're lovely.
I did have a gooseberry jam, and am waiting for gooseb. season to make some. I'm guessing it's autumnal.

A breakfast treat for me is anything egg. 2 poached eggs, soft. Just like that, on the plate.
I don't salt or pepper eggs, I like them as they are.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:51 am

I love Tiptree jams, but the local shops only sell the basic ones, so I look out for them. I always have the seedless raspberry, as I like it and it’s useful when baking or making desserts

For a breakfast treat I recommend the Waitrose (raw) frozen pains au raisins which are made in France using all butter I wonder if they Picard rebadged, as I believe some Waitrose stuff is? Anyway you bake for 20 minutes in a hot oven and they are good. I recommend putting them on a piece of baking parchment to make sure you can retrieve while hot without breaking.

Postby Amyw » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:52 pm

Not a massive jam fan but I do like the sound of that lime mojito one . Would be nice in jam tarts !

I like my pastries plain without added butter or jam . Pret do a very good hazelnut croissant , which is a lovely little treat now and again

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:51 pm

I'm sure they are nice but every spponful of jam and marmelade eaten here is home made. It's my hobby/obsession/passion. I made Rum Collins marmelade last year. My last batch of jam was strawberry and basil.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Binky » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:55 pm

OH is the marmalade maker. I have in the past made lemon curd in the microwave, but anything else 'jammy' we buy from Tiptree or Bonne Maman.

Postby jeral » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:43 pm

I gazed in amazement and longingly at the 50+ varieties in a Tiptree shop window (it had closed for the day) a little while ago. I'm glad it wasn't open so no impulse temptation thankfully as one jar lasts me a year.

Given the numerous options, you did well to choose two that you really like, Binky. Good instinct, experience of jams or good guess?

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:47 pm

Gooseberry season is pretty much over, I would have thought. :crying2

I think of them as a crop ripening between the rhubarb and the strawberries.

Most of our spares are turned into the Benares gooseberry chutney for consumption with poppadums. The other soft fruit I grow - raspberries, blackcurrants, loganberries, blackberries - are turned into some jam in addition to the usual desserts. I also make damson & apple. Consequently we don't buy much jam. We do get the odd jar of Apricot, we're also Tiptree or Bonne Maman fans.

I don't make marmalade and very much like the Tiptree orange & tangerine. I'm also fond of grapefruit or blends with it, but Mrs B shouldn't eat the stuff, so I generally don't buy it. I swap some of our preserves for marmalade made by a friend in Much Hadham.

If you fancy something different, please check out Hibiscus Lily. Their lemon, ginger and turmeric marmalade is particularly lovely (as indeed are the people themselves).

Postby Binky » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:34 pm

jeral, we went to the Essex Food Festival at Cressing Temple, and Tiptree had a stall there. The jams I bought were both tasted before purchase.

One nice thing was that instead of plastic or wooden spoons, the lady had a tray of spoons made of crackers, therefore edible and no waste. She said she gets them in France - maybe Joan has seen them? I never have on various visits.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:54 pm

Gooseberry season is pretty much over

Damn! I didn't really pay much attention to when it might be.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:52 pm

Binky,

No, I have never seen this brand in Barcelona however, we use a Spanish Brand
that is one of the oldest companies in Spain Called:

La Vieja Fabrica de Sevilla ..

I love their rasberry and forest berries called Frutas de Bosque.

We also have a friend in Portugal, in the town of Trancoso, in the Duoro región,
called Casa da Prisca .. I love their fig mermalade. They grow all their ecological
fruit on their groves. Amazing products.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby cherrytree » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:46 pm

I make white peach jam and apricot jam over here in France and I make Felicity Cloake’s marmalade recipe in Cumbria during those few precious Seville orange days in January.
We buy our croissants from Lidl- the nicest anywhere.

Postby Meganthemog » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:37 pm

My mother's favourite jam was Tiptree's Little Scarlet. She would have a jar in the fridge that would last her a year!

Postby Renee » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:59 pm

Yes, I would agree there!

Postby Binky » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:37 am

The word at Tiptree is that Little Scarlet is their best jam - made with the smallest sweetest berries. The next best is Morello Cherry, which gained popularity when a visiting Royal took a fancy to the flavour.

My breakfast treat this morning, after cereal and fruit, was hot buttered fig & walnut bread from Lidl, washed down with a pot of Betty's Cafe traditional tea.

Postby Binky » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:03 am

Popping in to say that I made potato latkes this morning for my breakfast. Lovely with apple sauce. These could become a favourite breakfast treat.

:yum

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:05 am

................. process please Binky

Postby Binky » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:14 am

Peel a potato (one per person). Grate the potato(es) or use a food processor to make it easier if you are cooking a quantity.

Put potato gratings into a tea towel (I used paper kitchen towel) and squeeze the lot until no more moisture runs out. Put into a large bowl.

I went 'off piste' as you are supposed to use a tablespoon of flour; instead, I toasted a small ciabatta and bashed it with a rolling pin, adding the crumbs to the potato gratings.

Season with salt and pepper, crack an egg (one per person) into the potato/crumb mix, and stir.

Heat a frying pan with oil (I used sunflower) and drop large spoonfuls into the hot oil. Squash down slightly so the latkes are flattish. Cook for 5 mins each side (should be lovely and golden brown). Eat with apple sauce.

(This is the way I did it, but there are lots of recipes out there. )

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox