Register

Slow cooker

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Slow cooker

Postby Amyw » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:41 pm

Just had a slow cooker delivered today and have a roast chicken cooking on a bed of veg in it . Apart from the normal bolognaise, curries etc , wondered if anyone else had a slow cooker and ideas to use in it

Re: Slow cooker

Postby Otterspocket » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:28 pm

Since getting our instant pot a few years ago the only thing we really use our remaining slow cooker for is ribs - they give amazing results just finish them under a hot grill to caramelise

We used to use ours for chilli , bolognese , soups etc but I really wasn’t keen on preparing the onions , browning meat etc in the morning before work and felt smelly all day !

There’s some great groups on Facebook if you’re on there , some are under ‘crockpot’ vs our uk term of slow cooker

I’d be surprised if there isn’t a thread on here tbh - I will have a look

Postby wargarden » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:31 pm

slow cooker works great for beef stew, braised beef short rib,brisket and pot roast.
how large slow cooker did you get.
Last edited by wargarden on Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Otterspocket » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:31 pm

Can’t find a specific thread but lots of very tasty ideas mentioned if you use the search tool - hope you love your new gadget and look forward to hearing what you conjure up

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:12 pm

Often wondered about getting a slowcooker, but never have.
The wonderous POT beckons too - but I'm definitely a le creuset girl & do a lot of slow cooking in the oven - plus the workspace has to earn it's keep. Will be very interested in how you get along with it.

Postby cherrytree » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:55 pm

I’m a le Creuset girl too, who has an Aga in the UK. But out here in Lozere in the middle of France I use my slow cooker a lot. I poached some pears the other day and made a coq au Riesling this week for some visitors.
As a rule I’m hopeless at rice puddings. The slow cooker makes the best I’ve ever attempted. I just look at a recipe an£ if Inthink,it will work n the slow cooker then I give it a go.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:45 pm

I've got an Instant Pot and pensioned off our old slow cooker. Sometimes use the IP under pressure, sometimes in slow mode. I generally slow cook casseroles, but they're also good for whole lumps of meat. My default method with pheasants is slow cooked on a bed of veg.

Another use is steamed puds, as they can be left running for hours unattended.

I also use up gluts of onions off the plot (damaged ones tend to rot over a few weeks) by chopping them up and slow cooking with EVOO, S&P and Baharat. I portion the cooked onions into plastic boxes and freeze them for making stews. soups and anything else that needs cooked onions.

Postby Pampy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:44 am

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:52 am

I love my slow cooker and wouldn't be without it now. It's great for making stock if you save any chicken or chop/rib bones (store them in the freezer until you've got enough to make it worthwhile). I also braise whole joints for pulled pork or whatever. Plus it's great for slow poaching chicken pieces, and starting off a Christmas ham before glazing it although watch the timings for the latter. I have ended up accidentally serving pulled ham in the past! Not that it was too much of a problem because we had no guests that year.

There are some good recipes here
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/col ... low-cooker
https://www.tasteofhome.com/cooking-sty ... r-recipes/

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:09 am

I do like cooking and leaving joints in the slow cooker.
As you get a ready made gravy too.

It doesn't get used enough to be honest. I must rectify that.
And they are such a great price, mine was £19 way back.

Postby Suffs » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:51 am

I’ve just bought a new one as its ancient predecessor was falling apart and was a bit unstable and there was an offer on ... I like the Crockpot as opposed to the metal ones which are the ‘real’ slow cookers apparently. I did some research into both types and decided to stick with the crockpot type as the heat is all around rather than just from the base as in the metal ones.

I cook loads of meals in mine ... casseroles, Asian sticky ribs and belly pork and bacon hocks and soups of all descriptions.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:11 am

I prefer the crock pot style especially for traditional regional Spanish and Italian bean stews.

They are also good for hot soups in the Winter.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby DEB » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:01 pm

A couple of days ago I cooked a realy old fashion dish in the slow cooker ox tongue it took about 5 hours and was butitiful.
On average I use 3 slow cookers to do a parish lunch in the church, where we have no stove or any other facilities. I have feed 40 to 50 people at one go and all leave happy. :birthday-dancer

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox