Register

scotch eggs

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: scotch eggs

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:43 pm

A scotch egg is a scotch egg...……….…..and so on....& on...……

If you wanted to slather your boiled egg in straw - it wouldn't make it a scotch egg - only in your head - whatever floats your boat, we're talking snack here, not haute cuisine - basically peasant food - but isn't that some of the greatest food in any country.....?

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:06 pm

Hands up all those on this thread who don't know what a scotch egg is, because they've never eaten one, or made one. :yum

Mine always have the blue ring on the egg yolk, as Tony likes his eggs boiled for approximately 30mins.

I also think the sausagemeat matters. As it can dry out unpleasantly, leaving a gap between the egg and the sausagemeat.
I've minced pork before, with herbs, that have clung nicely to the egg = no hollow holes.
It's worked particularly well.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:12 pm

Wargarten. My final word on the subject.

Of course the basically correct recipe was published in the Newcastle Courant - one of the first newspapers published outside London and the forerunner of the 2 Newcastle papers, the Journal and the Chronicle for whom I wrote a daily recipe slot or a weekly food page - with pictures cooked and styled by me - for several years.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Amyw » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:06 pm

Who knew Scotch eggs could be so controversial?!

It is irritating when people claim to be experts on dishes , not native or served in their country , that they haven’t tried.

I also think it’s very difficult to precisely identify the origins of food , as there’ll always be multiple conflicting stories . I do think though a good Scotch egg needs nothing more than eggs, breadcrumbs, sausage meat and some seasoning , possibly added herbs . Would not like the thought of a fishy scotch egg at all . I have had one with chorizo in that was quite nice ..

Postby Suffs » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:08 pm

Bless ... talk about “unknown unknowns” :lol: he has no idea he’s in the presence of “foodie royalty “ ;) :newhuggy :wino

Postby cherrytree » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:13 pm

I may be completely wrong, Amy but do you live in the West Country? If you do, then you will know about the criminal damage done to supposedly Cornish Pasties. The genuine article has at least got European status protection.

Postby Amyw » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:27 pm

No you’re right , Cherrytree, I’m just outside of Exeter. Yeah it caused quite a local upheaval about the Cornish pasty issue . Apparently a Devon pasty has the pastry crimp on top and Cornish crimped on the side .

I love a decent pasty , but apart from the traditional Cornish (beef, swede,potato and onion), the only other variation I like is cheese and onion, though had to be seasoned strongly . Lots of pepper in a good pasty!! I’ve never tried any of the chicken tikka , Stilton and bacon etc . To me , those are just not pasties .

Postby wargarden » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:16 pm

As for batter on scotch egg i should known it was crap since it was another one of Jamie Oliver's abominations.
Is there a country in the world that Jamie Oliver has not offended with his take on other countries dishes.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:19 pm

You need to go to Mars, :thumbsup Wargarden..…………………………….

Postby Alexandria » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:21 pm

Sakkarin,

Yes, I realised .. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not a problem.

Scotch eggs are quite popular at a Madrid Capital tea and pastry bar
called:

Living in London. Very cute retail shop, take out and sit in café and bar.

61 Calle Nuñez de Balboa.
Metro line: 5 - Nuñez de Balboa.

Have a nice evening.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:05 am

You need to go to Mars, :thumbsup Wargarden..…………………………….

Mars? How about a Scotch Egg stuffed with deep-fried Mars Bars??
(Or should that be on the thread " Crimes against Food"?)

Postby Meganthemog » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:42 pm

My father was a Desert Rat and was in the Middle East for about 5 years. One day they were talking about their favourite foods that they were looking forward to having on return to Blighty.
One of their cooks was a local and he said he'd recreate some of their dishes - they just had to tell him what to do. My father explained that a Scotch Egg was a boiled egg covered in sausage meat and breadcrumbed then deep fried. No problem the cook said - I can do that I have all the ingredients.
Later that day the cook appeared with a dish of gloriously golden Scotch eggs and my father bit into it with gusto - the only thing he'd forgotten to tell the cook was that you shell the egg before covering with the sausage meat! :lol:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:18 pm

Ex-cook now demoted to dishwashing duties?

It's bad enough finding a tiny bit of shell in a fried egg... the thought of a whole eggful of shell gives me a chalk scraping blackboard squirm!

Postby Alexandria » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:50 pm

:lol: :lol:
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renee » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:50 pm

Oh how dreadful about the shell! :shock:

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox