Register

Searching

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Searching

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:34 am

I was just trying to find a post of mine which mentioned parsley, and the wretched "This word is too common to search" warning came up, which I'm sure any of you who have tried searching have been frustrated by occasionally.

I've tweaked the board settings to make this happen less often (and it now happily searches for parsley).

There was a setting which was previously "5%", which I've reset to "50%", but I may have overdone it, let me know if you find the board reacting differently to what you'd expect. I'm loth to set it to zero.

Here's the board's info where I changed that figure:

Common word threshold:
Words which are contained in a greater percentage of all posts will be regarded as common. Common words are ignored in search queries. Set to zero to disable. Only takes effect if there are more than 100 posts. If you want words that are currently regarded as common to be reconsidered you have to recreate the index.

Should I set it to zero folks?

Re: Searching

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:55 pm

Thanks - I’ve had that and thought :? because I didn’t think it was a very common word

Site Admin

Re: Searching

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:01 pm

I think it uses the board itself to decide whether it's a common word, so if lots of us here use the word (tries to think of an obscure cookery term) "garniture", it will become a common word, even though noone has ever use the term since the 18th century.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox