Register

stuffed chicken wings

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Site Admin

Re: stuffed chicken wings

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:11 pm

the size we can buy from the s/mkts

They were selling off leftover whole roast chickens in Morrisons the other day for £1.20, so I bought one, but on feeling the pack (you couldn't see what was inside), I turned to the guy serving and said "Er, did this start off life as a chicken or a sparrow?". It was not much bigger than a poussin. Still, at £1.20 it seemed a bargain.

It was dreadful, overcooked to the extent that its limbs were inedible, and what was edible of the breast was as dry as chalk.

Postby cherrytree » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:19 pm

I love a home made Scotch egg made with my butcher’s 99% meat pork sausage meat surrounding a free range egg from Sheila my egg lady. I like the provenance of the food we eat and in the case of a Scotch egg, home made is so much nicer than anything from a shop.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:34 pm

These are damn Moorish Cherrytree………..

https://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/bl ... cotch-eggs

My trouble is I have no confidence in the eggs being semi-set - I always think they're going to come out like bricks :(

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:40 pm

I prefer brickish to runny...

Think pork and egg pie (gala pie?)...

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:45 pm

It is strange because I really like hard-boiled eggs - It's probably because every recipe says they should be runny come to think of it......expectations again!

Postby Amyw » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:14 pm

I prefer hard to soft :tongueout . I always think soft boiled eggs belong with toast and nothing else . I think maybe they became popular , because visually they’re very Insta friendly and they’re a bit more show offy than normal Scotch eggs , which although gorgeous tasting , aren’t the most exotic of things

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:22 pm

So at the moment our Food Board alternative Scotch Egg is battered, with rock hard egg inside.

There was a spat about Cumberland sausages on here a while back, so let's use fake Cumberland sausagemeat.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:30 pm

And don't forget the eggs have to have sinister black rings around the yolks.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby wargarden » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:32 pm

given scotch eggs originated ?
The Contentious History of the Scotch Egg
https://theculturetrip.com/europe/unite ... cotch-egg/

possible first news paper recipe in UK newspaper for scotch eggs.
Newspaper: Mothers' Companion
Friday 07 February 1890
scotch egg.jpg
scotch egg.jpg (170.48 KiB) Viewed 5855 times

Postby cherrytree » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:23 pm

I’m sorry Wargarden but that recipe is such a load of hideous nonsense that rarely for me I am lost for words. I don’t know where you dug it up from but please please believe me when I tell you that it is a huge inaccurate insult to British cookery.

Postby Otterspocket » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:35 pm

cherrytree wrote:I’m sorry Wargarden but that recipe is such a load of hideous nonsense that rarely for me I am lost for words. I don’t know where you dug it up from but please please believe me when I tell you that it is a huge inaccurate insult to British cookery.

He’s explained where it’s from , unless you were around in 1890 then I don’t think the recipe can be discredited. It’s pretty much the same principle as modern scotch egg except a rissole / croquette type mixture of meat and a form of bechamel used vs sausagemeat

Postby Otterspocket » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:38 pm

In reference to the original question which seems to have gone off on a tangent I have made stuffed wings twice to make the Thai recipe angel wings as part of a larger Thai style meal.
A Thai friend showed me the technique and yes it’s fiddly at first but results were great - she got drumette type wings which were easier to handle

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:42 pm

Otterspocket wrote:In reference to the original question which seems to have gone off on a tangent

That is the beauty of this Forum - it is totally organic - otherwise we would all be posting in a gulag forum.

Postby Otterspocket » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:44 pm

That is the beauty of this Forum - it is totally organic - otherwise we would all be posting in a gulag forum.[/quote]

It wasn’t a criticism , I’m aware how forums work but thanks

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:48 pm

I'm sure you'll fit right in Otter :klingonbanana

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:13 pm

A Thai friend showed me the technique and yes it’s fiddly at first but results were great -

There you are then! Magnificent!
I suppose there are lots of recipes which are fiddly at first; Dolmades, Malai Kofta, even Samosas. -a little practice and Bob´s yer uncle.
I wouldn´t stuff chicken wings over here in Venezuela, however, because they´re was too small. I just slather them in some sort of spicy sauce and into the oven.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox