Register

Biscuits for guests

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Biscuits for guests

Postby Binky » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:47 pm

On another website, posters are talking about the sort of biscuits they serve to visitors. Apparently pink wafers, bourbons, lemon puffs and anything from a selection tin are considered 'lower class' and if you wish to impress, serve florentines or Belgian chocolate chip cookies. This biscuit also cropped up, which I thought rather funny

Re: Biscuits for guests

Postby WWordsworth » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:20 pm

Blimey I am very lower class then because I love a custard cream.

Must admit if I'm expecting guests I usually knock up a batch of almond shortbread.
V easy and people seem to like them.

Postby Amyw » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:22 pm

I love a custard cream .my favourite biscuit though is a Leibniz

Whether it’s a generation thing , I don’t really have friends round and put biscuits out . We either meet for a bottle of wine and have some olives or other savoury snacks or will meet in town for coffee and a pastry .

Postby Alexandria » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:35 pm

There is a wonderful "pasteleria", (Bakery), and French Lady Marie, who owns her own bakery a short walk from our flat in Barcelona,
is a Whiz .. and we always call her, for an order of her Rasberry French Macarons which in reality are a "sandwich cookie" (or a biscuit) ..

My grandmothers and Mom are the bakers, I am not .. The only time I bake is with my two grandsons over Christmas.

I prefer ( depending on our lunch or dinner ), to prepare a dessert ( I do prepare a wicked Tiramisú) verses biscuits or cookies.

Have a lovely evening .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:41 pm

Same here Amy, and I’m around 30 years your senior, seldom offer anyone a biscuit

Member 461, we are really talking about the British tradition of offering packaged biscuits with any cup of tea or coffee, obviously if you are having people round in a group for morning coffee or afternoon tea you will get a stock of biscuits and cakes, bought or home made

Postby jeral » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:21 pm

Where can I buy some Brexit breakfast biscuits? ;) :D
Doubly clever those, as news people often mix up Brexit with breakfast.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:53 am

I never serve people biscuits. Ever!

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:15 am

At the art school, everyone goes mad for the shortbread biccies.
I don't get it really, they're OK I guess.

As a child I loved iced gems.

But now, my favs are probably Viennese whirls, or pretty much anything from M&S.

I put out bics and popcorn once at the family table, and everyone grabbed handfuls of the popcorn. Gone in seconds.

Postby cherrytree » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:40 am

I love the Border ginger biscuits, the ones covered in dark chocolate.

Postby cherrytree » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:20 am

When we go to Sainsbury’s in Carlisle for our big shop we stand ecstatically in the car park as next door to the store is McVities (or Carr’s as its still known locally) biscuit factory, which according to my son in law is the largest such factory in Western Europe.
Will it be Bourbons or custard creams or ginger biscuits? It doesn’t matter. The smell is so enticing and it can be like being in somebody’s kitchen on a baking day.

Postby Binky » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:18 am

some of our extended family still live in W.Yorkshire. When we visit, we always go to the Fox's Biscuit Factory shop in Batley.

Not only are the biscuits fresh from the factory next door, but you can buy a pillow-case full for £1. Some are slightly damaged, around the edges mostly, but they still taste very nice.

A relative of ours, who runs conferences, always buys loads of these biscuits for her 'Away Days' and there are never any leftovers.

Postby Amyw » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:04 am

It seems to be a bit of a dying thing , biscuits . The only time I really have biscuits is if we get a tin at Xmas . If I’m a baking mood , I’d never think of making biscuits . It would always be cause, brownies etc . Maybe biscuits are seen as a bit , dare I at boring these days . Or as Sue said , the whole culture of having people round for tea and biscuits is a little redundant?

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:22 am

I don't have biscuits in the house except when the kids are here and even then they would far rather have a peice of cake than endless biscuits. I wouldn't off them with coffee - a square of dark chocolate is more usual here.

I sometimes make shortbreads of various types to serve with a creamy dessert, just as a ontarst in texture. That or a little HM meringue flower or an almond tuille.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Binky » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:37 am

I have to buy biscuits because we have a gardener who calls weekly, and at half-time I make him a cafetiere of fresh coffee. I also provide a few biccies.

He likes the Bahlsen range, and ginger snaps. It is getting difficult now to find decent biscuits because the majority have palm oil as an ingredient, and we buy nothing with palm oil.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:15 pm

Binky wrote:IIt is getting difficult now to find decent biscuits because the majority have palm oil as an ingredient, and we buy nothing with palm oil.

Exactly Binky and thats why I don't buy them.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:47 pm

I always used to make a beeline for the lemon puff in mixed biscuit packs at home. When I became independent I discovered you could buy whole packful of them, and overdosed on them briefly until I decided they were far too sweet, and have not had the urge to indulge again in 40 years.

And of course writing about it, I now fancy a lemon puff for old time's sake. Even though they are common as muck. Still several poshness grades above Oreas though.

Postby Pommes » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:33 pm

We only have homemade biscuits with our tea or coffee & so that is what we offer guests, workmen or anyone else who drops by. At the moment it is oat & coconut crunchies, & (ginger) shortbread.

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:58 pm

We don't do biscuits either - but if I have to have something in to go with a cuppa it will be a slice of cake or madeleines of some description.

Every time I hear the word biscuits - in my head it is said in that cheesy ad with the little animal gangster voice - ' bisqweets' - can't remember what they were!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:41 pm

The biss-quits were from a panda, rather bizarrely advertising Fox’s biscuits iirc

Yup, here is Vinnie the Panda - from 2008

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z5OoEm9Qad4

Postby cherrytree » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:46 pm

I do like making Sue Lawrence’s recipe for shortbread.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox