Register

Biscuits for guests

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Biscuits for guests

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:18 pm

Vinnie The Panda it most certainly was Sue! How could I have forgotten him?!?!

Postby Renee » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:08 pm

Cherrytree I love the Border ginger biscuits which are covered in dark chocolate too! Normally I don't eat biscuits or have any in the house, except for my gardener and they are the oaty crunch type.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who never has biscuits for when anyone calls!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:19 am

The reason I like ginger in a biscuit, is they are quite spicy (or spiced should I say).
I really enjoy the kick.

Postby Renee » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:44 pm

In which case Gill, I think that you would enjoy Nairn's Oats & Stem Ginger biscuits which have a good ginger kick. You might find them with the "Free From" range of products, which is where they are in Asda. They are gluten free with a much lower sugar content than most biscuits.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:53 pm

I'll look out for them.
We are off to Asda in an hour or so.

Postby Pampy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:15 pm

I went to see my sister yesterday (well, I cat-sat while she was going on a long day/evening out) and she'd bought me some Lidl Deluxe stem ginger all butter cookies. I don't eat a lot of biscuits but I have to say that these were really lovely - very buttery and enough, but not too much, ginger.

Postby Amyw » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:09 pm

It’s funny , I’m not a fan of ginger when it’s very string in savoury dishes , but the stronger the better when it comes to ginger biscuits . Love a cheesecake too with a ginger biscuit base

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu May 28, 2020 12:35 pm

Resurrecting this biscuity thread in order to post this periodic table of biscuitry I came across which is quite fun.

http://www.crispian.net/Myths/biscuits.html

Postby scullion » Thu May 28, 2020 2:41 pm

i disagree with the non dunkable bit where penguins are concerned (and similar biscuits). if you bite off the diagonally opposite corners, place one bitten corner into your cup of coffee, tea, etc, suck through the other bitten corner until you get the liquid through, then pop it all in your mouth, it's wonderfully soft and truffle-y.

and jaffa cakes aren't biscuits!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 28, 2020 3:22 pm

That periodic table is excellent, love it

I don’t eat a lot of biscuits, every so often I se some I used to love, buy a pack, and find they are disappointing

Postby Busybee » Thu May 28, 2020 4:04 pm

scullion wrote:i disagree with the non dunkable bit where penguins are concerned (and similar biscuits). if you bite off the diagonally opposite corners, place one bitten corner into your cup of coffee, tea, etc, suck through the other bitten corner until you get the liquid through, then pop it all in your mouth, it's wonderfully soft and truffle-y.

and jaffa cakes aren't biscuits!

That’s exactly how you eat a Tim Tam, a young Australian child taught me that years ago when we lived there. I was most distressed to find that the memory was better than reality when I went back three years ago and tried it again!

BB

Postby northleedsbhoy » Thu May 28, 2020 4:11 pm

I very rarely have guests, probably not more than once or twice a year. When I meet friends it’s normally in the pub, coffee shop or restaurant. I do keep biscuits in the house for myself which are mainly dark chocolate or ginger biscuits, Borders being the best, and I enjoy one a day.

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

Postby Earthmaiden » Thu May 28, 2020 4:34 pm

Love the periodic table!

Biscuits are alive and well here. For around 25 years I have belonged to a ladies social group who meet in each other's houses for an evening every couple of weeks (during normal times). Tea or coffee and biscuits have always been the mid-evening refreshment. There used to be a huge unspoken one-upmanship regarding the biscuits - one apologised profusely one day when she had sent her husband to buy decent biscuits and he returned with Teatime Assorted (which of course, we all devoured). There used to be around 4 kinds on offer, the more unusual the better but now we are all retired and several living alone, that has gone down a bit. There is usually some kind of nice shortbread, something chocolatey, posh cookies and that kind of thing. Nowadays there are often 'mini' things too so that anyone who doesn't like eating late or is pretending to be on a diet can help themselves several times and pretend it doesn't count. I suspect that any biscuit would be a treat these days!

Postby halfateabag » Thu May 28, 2020 5:07 pm

I like a biscuit. ATM I am enjoying Lidls milk chocolate Oaties, I have a pack in my bedside cabinet :oops: Waitrose used to do wholemeal shortbread fingers, he loved them, then W'rose stopped supplying them. I made a 'version' which were rather similar, I must resurrect them..... Absolutely hate Rich Tea B, what is rich about them?, they are awful......like eating a mouthful of plain dry flour.... :vomit Used to hate ginger nuts but love them now, they give my teeth a good wrestle.... They are a very British thing. He always eats B. the wrong way up, really annoys me, and he dunks them, tutt tutt....

Postby Amyw » Thu May 28, 2020 6:10 pm

I like a rich tea biscuit, same as a plain digestive I think their very no frillness is part of their appeal

Postby oat » Thu May 28, 2020 6:29 pm

I like rich tea, are morning coffee biscuites still available? I like those too.

Postby jeral » Thu May 28, 2020 7:19 pm

Plain biscuits are hard to come by since the shelves especially in supermarket minis are all full of those items that carry premium prices and profits. You have to search, which is too time consuming in Covid19 times.

Anything chocolately like Bourbons or choc fingers are great dunked in cocoa.

Appropriate speed of dunk is a learned thing though given tea tends to be served much hotter than cocoa or coffee 8-)

Postby jeral » Thu May 28, 2020 7:23 pm

oat, some Rich Tea taste awful now and from two supermarkets to me tasted so bad they went in the bin. Not sure about morning coffee, but did find some malted milk in Tesco last week which are OK.

Postby oat » Thu May 28, 2020 8:51 pm

Malted milk! My kids used to call them cow biscuites, to the disgust of my M.I.L. They loved them.

Postby cherrytree » Thu May 28, 2020 11:16 pm

Our children called them cow biscuits too.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox