Register

Biscuits for guests

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Biscuits for guests

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 28, 2020 11:20 pm

cherrytree wrote:Our children called them cow biscuits too.

So did my adult 6ft 1in ex :lol

He loved them.

Postby Pampy » Fri May 29, 2020 12:17 am

I have never understood the appeal of dunking biscuits. Makes them seem like baby pap to me. For the same reason I can't stomach Weetabix or porridge.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 29, 2020 11:58 am

The Yorkshire Tea Twitter account is at it again, as it’s National Biscuit Day

They are trying to find movies that can be made biscuit related - starting with The Bourbon Identity

https://twitter.com/yorkshiretea/status ... 74466?s=21

Postby Uschi » Fri May 29, 2020 1:09 pm

What a fun table! I don't know all of them, but Axel does like his biscuits and has got me hooked, too.

I used to bake them for Christmas and sometimes for Easter and Halloween, but not inbetween.
So now I am trying to find recipes for biscuits that are not Christmassy and not too calorific. I tried oat biscuits on Tuesday and yesterday I made my usual "Hussar's buttons", jam or jelly filled biscuits. This time I tried out lime jelly and some orange zest in the dough. Very nice, both of them.

Postby Busybee » Fri May 29, 2020 2:58 pm

Uschi, I used to like to see and read about the biscuits you and your mother baked for all the different occasions. Always so creative. I missed seeing photos last year.

BB

Postby Uschi » Fri May 29, 2020 4:01 pm

Thank you! :wave Last year was the first year in my life that I didn't get to bake any. I can say in my life since my mother let me "help" even in my first year. It was pretty much the only thing I was allowed to do in her kitchen until I was nearly 30.
These biscuits are plain in shape. I will keep the special decorations for Christmas and so on.

Postby WWordsworth » Fri May 29, 2020 6:30 pm

I agree Pampy.
I would never dunk biscuits and I also dislike Weetabix.
Mum used to enjoy it with warm milk and although I like milk I found the aroma, as well as the appearance, of warm Weetabix quite unpleasant.

I'm afraid you're wrong about porridge though ;)

Postby Amyw » Fri May 29, 2020 7:04 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I agree Pampy.
I would never dunk biscuits and I also dislike Weetabix.
Mum used to enjoy it with warm milk and although I like milk I found the aroma, as well as the appearance, of warm Weetabix quite unpleasant.

I'm afraid you're wrong about porridge though ;)

Right on the same page here :klingonbanana . Definitely a dunk free zone , love porridge, but hate Weetabix. I've worked in elderly care in the past and giving people on a soft diet warm Weetabix used to make me heave . I'm not keen on any soggy cereal at all. I usually just like porridge or muesli/granola with enough milk to moisten

Postby jeral » Fri May 29, 2020 8:23 pm

My usual habit is no doubt contrary, but I happily dunk biscuits yet prefer cereals crisp straight from the box. Incidentally, I find chilled rice milk is good to drink with cereals being a cleaner taste than cow's milk (no fatty mouthfeel residue).

On biscuits, I bought some foreign ones which were almost flat but with a seam of chocolate spread baked into the middle. I wonder how they did that? Very nice indeed, though not cheap.

Postby Pampy » Fri May 29, 2020 11:03 pm

I can eat "raw" porridge, just with milk and a bit of Splenda or some fresh/dried fruit - just hate the wallpaper glue texture when it's cooked.

Postby herbidacious » Fri May 29, 2020 11:05 pm

Isn't that muesli?! :)

Postby Pampy » Fri May 29, 2020 11:07 pm

Most muesli has added sugar - I use Splenda so it's less calorific and lower carb (I'm diabetic).

Postby northleedsbhoy » Sun May 31, 2020 1:56 pm

Don’t judge me too harshly folks but I love to dunk biscuits :yum :lol:. I don’t eat a lot of them as I’m diabetic but I do love ginger snaps, especially when they’re dunked in tea :yum :yum

Cheers
NLB :thumbsup

PS: To offend even further I also like cereal on the soggy side :lol: :lol:. Sorry.

Postby KeenCook2 » Sun May 31, 2020 4:14 pm

Pampy wrote:Most muesli has added sugar - I use Splenda so it's less calorific and lower carb (I'm diabetic).

Yes, I agree, you have to really read the labels carefully to make sure that there's no added sugar or no banana chips or such like. We've been eating a Tesco variety for a couple of years that seems to fit the bill! But whenever we can't get it for one reason or another, it's boring having to look for another. There's a Jordans that is also OK and those expensive, smaller packets, can't remember the brand, does it begin with D? not Doves Farm .... ah Dorset, that's it, just checked on the Waitrose site!

Postby Uschi » Sun May 31, 2020 8:04 pm

With Muesli there is always the option of mixing your own, starting with oats and adding whatever you fancy/can eat safely/enjoy.

NLB, I do dunk some biscuits and I do like my muesly as soggy as possible. Actually, Muesly porridge is more like it. :gonzo
Nothing wrong with that. :D

Postby aero280 » Sun May 31, 2020 9:09 pm

I have been buying the Sappori Cantucci/Biscotti from Costco for a long time now. That has to be dunked!! :)

Postby Pampy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:08 am

Uschi wrote:With Muesli there is always the option of mixing your own, starting with oats and adding whatever you fancy/can eat safely/enjoy.

That's really what I do. Waitrose (I think) sells a mix of oats and wheatbran (80/20%) to which I add fruit and a bit of Splenda sweetener, then cold milk.

Postby Lokelani » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:54 pm

Visitors round here would be out of luck, I don't buy biscuits very often as we'd eat them! Same with crisps.

When I do buy them for Xmas or a treat I like Borders oat crumbles, or scottish shortbread. Someone at craft group often buys Leibniz & they are hard to resist. As are jaffa cakes. Mmm.

Postby Pampy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:43 am

I don't eat a lot of biscuits but a favourite is Lidl's Oaties - about 40p a pack, iirc!

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox