Register

Dishes greater than the sum of its parts

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Dishes greater than the sum of its parts

Postby Amyw » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:46 pm

I had friends come round the other night and felt I needed a pudding to serve them , but couldn’t be bothered to do a full dessert , but still wanted something nice . Searching through the cupboards and a few things from the local shop , I managed to make a pretty decent dessert .

In little glass tumblers , I added some turn up chunks of a plain chocolate loaf cake , tinned cherries which had been lurking in the back of the cupboard for ages and some decent custard to which I’d added a crumbled flake bar to make chocolate custard . Didn’t have any kirsch so added a drop of amaretto and topped each little glass with whipped cream and another crumbled flake bar . Deconstructed Black Forest gateau Magic1

Anyone else make dishes using “cheat “ ingredients which turn out well . I also make stuffed chicken breasts filled with St Agur and wrapped in streaky bacon which always look nice , but take seconds of work

Re: Dishes greater than the sum of its parts

Postby Binky » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:02 pm

I had a 'thing' about using Aunt Bessie ready mashed potatoes on top of fish pies. OH wasn't keen, so I stopped. However, I still use jarred red peppers for making red pepper mayonnaise and red pepper hummus. And I admit to the occasional use ready-made custard. :D

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:05 pm

What's the recipe for the red pepper hummus? I've got a jar in the cupboard...

Postby wargarden » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:43 pm

ice cream sundae
chocolate parfait
a trifle
come to mind when you take separate cheat ingredient and make them
something greater then component parts

Postby Binky » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:47 pm

sakkarin, hardly a recipe. I made this up years ago.

Take a tin of chickpeas, rinse, and pop into the food processor. Add two slices of red pepper from the jar, plus a couple of garlic cloves and a squeeze of lemon juice. Whizz up.

It is a lot more 'wet' than a shop-bought hummus, but we like it as a dip, and you can make it stiffer with the addition of tahini paste if that's the consistency you prefer.

Postby Amyw » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:29 am

Wargarden how can you “cheat” a parfait ? I always thought it was a frozen dessert, similar to ice cream and mousse combined

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:02 am

I always think Insalata Capressa is a cheat dish. You´ve got plain old tomatoes, mozzarella,(which to be brutally honest, is not a WOW sort of cheese) and basil leaves. that´s it. S&P, olive oil. Put them all together, however and :balls :birthday-dancer :gonzo :gonzo WONDERFUL!!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:52 am

Amyw wrote:Wargarden how can you “cheat” a parfait ? I always thought it was a frozen dessert, similar to ice cream and mousse combined

Hi Amy

As wargarden is from the US, she may be referring to something like this:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cho ... -parfaits/

The 'chocolate pudding' layer looks like a custard consistency to me.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:41 am

Parfait is many things to many people
And “pudding” in many countries is what in the UK we call blancmange or even instant whip if instant pudding

Odd when here puddings tend to the stodgy

I’m sure there are loads of things I make that fit the brief but my brain has gone blank!

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:03 am

I’m sure there are loads of things I make that fit the brief but my brain has gone blank!

Me too, trifle and tiramisu maybe, home made hummus as above. Hummus is often softer than UK supermarkets sell. I make it with tinned chick peas, garlic, lemon juice and tahini. I shall now try the red pepper version, thanks Binky.

I quite like making my own cheat ingredients, portions of leftover mash in the freezer for cottage or fish pie or bubble, along with frozen greens. Frozen portions of precooked onion, roasted tomatoes.

There's a very simple bake, using drained tinned artichokes mixed with mayo and red onion, covered with grated Parmesan and breadcrumbs. Brown in the oven and serve with crusty bread.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:31 am

Tinned artichokes remind me
A toucan pale green chicken thing
Fry som onions, garlic if you like, and brown the chicken thighs
Add a can of artichoke hearts, a can of flageolets, a good squeeze of lemon juice, or a chopped preserved lemon if you happen to have one. Top up with chicken or veg stock (cube or powder) and season. Simmer gently until the chicken is good. You can optionally sprinkle with chopped parsley or coriander if you have any

Really easy, add what you like, but the basics are chicken, onion, lemon, two cans, result good enough for company

Recipe from a free magazine on the tube 40 years ago

And to use up the rest of those jars of red peppers make a version of a Josceline Dimbleby salad by adding to blanched broccoli, avocado and a slightly garlicky dressing, she used raw peppers but bottled or roasted are better imo

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:34 am

strictlysalsaclare wrote:
Hi Amy

As wargarden is from the US, she may be referring to something like this:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cho ... -parfaits/

The 'chocolate pudding' layer looks like a custard consistency to me.

That Claire looks utterly :vomit Frozen strawberries and instant chocolate pudding sounds like a food crime.

Tiramisu is more construction than cooking but a proper trifle is a thing of beauty especially if you make proper egg custard and the sponge base.
I have been known to cheat with such things as vol-au vents :vomit by buying the cases from the bakery :vomit and using a ready made bechamel sauce. is an excellent brand in France. This means a small amount of left over chicken, salmon, a few prawns for example can be truned into a tasty starter or to go with a salad for lunch.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby wargarden » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:36 am

Amyw if you buy the ice cream, the cookies , the whipped,cream, the custard, chunks of chocolate , cherries and other fruit, then it is as i described something made with bought parts.

strictlysalsaclare you are incorrect i am a guy.

I know Parfaits well since i was watching my 11 and 8 year old my nieces and the they has limited supplies of ice cream, and pudding in house and other usual desserts.

So i did what smart a foodie uncle would do , went through the pantry and frig;collected all bits and bobs made them two epic parfait, with any sweets , jams; jellies pudding; custards , canned and fresh fruit, syrups , the last of ice cream and whip cream. to this day they they still sing my praises over those two parfaits.

Postby Amyw » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:28 pm

Again it seems to be the language barrier , Wargarden . I’d think of that as an Ice cream sundae , which I agree fits the description.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:22 pm

Absolutely right Amy . What was descibed is an Ice cream sundae.

Parfaits a completely different animal I make them quite regularly:
https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/colle ... it-recipes

WE think we are speaking the same language but both sides of the pond are often mutually inconprehensible !
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby wargarden » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:08 pm

https://gurunavi.com/en/japanfoodie/201 ... Sn-bK1moT0

what make a parfait in my mind is layers things between cream.
between cream.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:20 pm

What makes a parfait this side of the duck pond wargarden, both in England and France, is fundamentally a very smooth silky texture, so a chicken liver parfait is a pâté made smooth and light often by rubbing it through a sieve, or as a dessert it is a frozen custard based mousse, similar to a very rich semi-freddo

I checked in Larousse Gastronomique, which does mention the US use of the name for a whipped cream dessert

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:30 pm

wargarden, I'm pretty sure enough has been said to show that parfait means what it means depending on where one is. I'm curious though. What do USA people call the French/UK mousse version of parfait, assuming it exists in some form? Ta.

Postby Rainbow » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:09 am

I was wondering what the Australian version of a parfait is, and Australian Women's Weekly recipes says

"Parfait' means 'perfect' in French and these delicious desserts are just that! Here, we've pulled together the best of both the layered American-style parfaits and the mousse-like French versions."

So in Australian we recognise both sorts but have nothing of our own!!

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:01 am

Now I think the penny has dropped.

I went to a new opening some time ago of an old restaurant for lunch with a chum.
The chef had been brought in to revamp a tired menu. For a 3 month stint. He was paid £10K per month to do it.

I ordered the chicken liver parfait, and was surprised OK h :o rrified it came with double cream poured over it.

Perhaps it was an homage to the US version of events?!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox