Register

Roast mackerel (in a packet)

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Roast mackerel (in a packet)

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:31 pm

Binky wrote:Thank you for the detective work!

I have phoned Customer Services at ASDA and a helpful and equally puzzled assistant says he will contact the buyers and find out exactly how the fish is processed.

I pointed out that roasting and hot smoking were two different processes, and the label is misleading if the fish is smoked.

He says it will take two-three days to get a response from the buyers, so I will report back when I have got the info.

[my bold]
Binky. Well done. I wonder how long it will take until someone reads Asda's own web page which says: "Hot smoked Scottish mackerel fillets" and what definition of roasted they support in their reply. Oh do please, please let us know as I for one can't wait to hear.

Meanwhile, will you go to Plan B and buy or seek out some fresh mackerel? In my fishmonger, fresh mackerel is there when it's there which actually isn't that often. I don't know if that's due to limited demand or unavailability - or maybe both.

Postby Binky » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:03 pm

We decided to eat the bogus roast mackerel, and I made what has turned out to be 'Not Much Of A Temptation, Mr Janssen'.

The dish was cooked thoroughly in our Remoska, but the house still stank of fish, plus the colour isn't very exciting (I like a bit of colour in my food). Tasted OK but not something to make one smack one's lips in mouthwatering anticipation.

Perhaps I should stick to mediterranean-style foods and leave the Scandinavians to their fish dishes.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:21 am

I shop in Asda too and have bought the occasional kiln roasted mackerel, but in strips rather than whole fillets. Personally I thinks there is a whiff of 'sexing up' a previously mundane sounding food item in order to give it a heftier price tag. Cynical moi? There is not much difference between the two items, if any. However below is a link to several recipes if you buy it again.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/reci ... d+mackerel
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/smo ... alad-bowls

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox