Register

Roast mackerel (in a packet)

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Roast mackerel (in a packet)

Postby Binky » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:29 pm

We don't like smoked food and have found that ASDA do a roast mackerel in a packet.

I am bored with serving it with new potatoes and salad, but all the recipes I've looked at are for raw mackerel that you grill/bake yourself; there's nothing for ready-cooked mackerel.

Does anyone have any bright ideas to zhuzz it up?

Re: Roast mackerel (in a packet)

Postby Suffs » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:58 pm

My first thought is to try substituting it for the brined anchovies in Janssen’s Temptation

Postby Binky » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:01 pm

that looks just the sort of thing I was looking for. We don't have cream to hand, so will do this later in the week when we've been shopping. Thanks!

Postby Renee » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:18 pm

It works well in a paté, Binky.

Postby Amyw » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:28 pm

I love beetroot and horseradish with mackerel . You could combine them in a salad or make a pate with the horseradish . If already cooked , how about fishcakes? I’d use leftover mash , again either a little horseradish , or maybe some chilli , as I think the oiliness needs a little heat to cut through it and go heavy on the black pepper when seasoning

Postby jeral » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:47 pm

I find green bell pepper balances the fishiness of mackerel, my favourite version being an Indian pilau rice dish. I add the pepper pieces to the cooking rice.

As your fish would be cooked, it could be heated in the cooked hot rice (covered) in a preheated oven
at 180C for 20-30 mins till piping. Or both eaten cold.

As another black pepper nutcase, my portion would be liberally adorned. I gather it upsets some people's heart rhythm or something but hopefully they'd know if it did and avoid it.

Postby Binky » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:41 pm

amy, beetroot and horseradish are a Polish favourite. I will try that with our next purchase of roast mackerel.

jeral, I looked up a fish pilau youtube and it didn't look that tempting, to be honest. The youtuber also had an irritatingly squeaky voice, which didn't help.

We're dining out tonight, so the roast mackerel kitchen adventures are for later in the week, probably using Renee's pate idea.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:11 pm

Binky,

Mediterranean Mackeral ( Caballa Mediterranea ) ..

Sauté the following:

2 tblsps Spanish or Italian Evoo
1 tiny onion diced very finely or 1 shallot
1 tsp capers (rinse from jar )
Approx 12 Black or Green olives ( Use olives with Pits, because they contain Olive Oil )
3 or 4 small to médium red ripe vine tomatoes ( peeled and de-seeded if you wish ) diced finely
1 tblsp of Smoked La Vera Pimentón ( Spanish Paprika )
Salt and Black freshly grinded pepper to taste
Freshly finely diced parsley herb
2 tblsp of fresh lemon juice
STIR WITH WOODEN SPATULA until well combined. ( You can use a stand up mixer to combine thoroughly as well prior to sauté-ing )

OPTIONAL: You can add a shot glass of White Wine too ..

Then, pre heat oven, and place this "Sofrito" on the bed of a earthenware and place your Mackeral on top spooning some of the Sofrito on the top of the fish.
Bake it for 6 to 8 minutes or until the fish is White and flaky ..

Voila ! Real nice and simple .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Amyw » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:27 pm

The mackerel Binky is referring to is already cooked Member 461

Postby Renee » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:17 pm

I'll make a note of that recipe Member 461 for when I next see some nice fresh mackerel.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:53 pm

Amy,

She can prepare the Sofrito and drizzle on the pre - baked mackeral .. or serve it with a nice home made ali-oli with some chive snippets .. :wave
Last edited by Alexandria on Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:56 pm

Renée,

Wow .. Pleased to hear Dear .. :thumbsup

Have a lovely week ahead.

Best wishes from
Sardinia. :wave :wave

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:58 am

I´d serve it with a mango or pineapple salsa ( you can warm it just a bit if you like), and rice with sweetcorn, sautéed peppers and coconut.

Alternately, make a sauce with cooking apples and cider, reduce, then add the mackerel at the last minute to heat it through.

Another option is " Escabeche" - that´s basically a "pickled" mackerel. Slice abundant onions and a couple of cloves of garlic. Fry gently in olive oil until soft, with a bay leaf and a few peppercorns. Add some white wine and a few Tbsps of sherry (or wine) vinegar. reduce by about half, allow to cool, then mix the fish with the liquid and allow it to cool. Serve with crusty bread ( NOT, I repeat, NOT Holsum!!)

A final option could be to serve it with a beetroot & ginger salad. Cooked beetroot, freshly grated ginger. Mix olive oil, dijon mustard, wine vinegar, s&p, dill sprigs to make a vinaigrette. Mix in the beetroot and ginger. Now add a carton (or less) of yoghurt ( plain , not strawberry flavour :shock: :shock: ) and allow to rest for a while. Ready, Freddy - serve with your cold/warm mackerel.

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:13 am

Binky, could I add that if you decide to buy any mackerel uncooked fresh, it has to be very fresh and used soonest as it doesn't keep 2-3 days in the fridge as other fish does. I'm sure you know this but please forgive as I worry you might have forgotten if you've been veggie for ages.

PS: Once cooked (or bought as cooked), it should keep for the usual 2-3 days.

Postby Binky » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:11 am

Yes, that's a good reminder for anyone.

I was aware of the 'rules' relating to fish, mostly because OH was, for the early part of his life, an Environmental Health Officer. Part of his duties was inspecting shops, restaurants, market stalls and (ugh) abattoirs. He also did some training at the Hull fish docks (probably no longer there after 40 years).

He changed careers after taking a second degree in another subject entirely, but kept all his 'elf and safety' books.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:11 am

Karakoolaide,

That is a wonderful list of recipe ideas. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Actually, they could be done with other fish varieties too ..

Have a lovely day. :wave :wave :wave

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:21 pm

Confused by this thread as I presumed that the original question was about pre-packed smoked mackerel (I've got some in the fridge right now) and most of the responses have been "fresh mackerelish". That's like giving a pork recipe when the ingredient is bacon.

Binky, I thought I'd double check, and if it's this stuff, it IS smoked.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/cook ... g/17188121

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:43 pm

Wow, now that is confusing - by Asda labelling I mean. Especially as Binky said they weren't keen on smoked so were buying roasted instead. Worthy of a complaint?

The main difference to me is the strength of flavour, smoked v unsmoked, so I imagine all or most ideas even if barking up the wrong tree could be tempered easily enough so that strong tasting counterparts balance well.

Postby Binky » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:47 pm

Thank you for the detective work!

I have phoned Customer Services at ASDA and a helpful and equally puzzled assistant says he will contact the buyers and find out exactly how the fish is processed.

I pointed out that roasting and hot smoking were two different processes, and the label is misleading if the fish is smoked.

He says it will take two-three days to get a response from the buyers, so I will report back when I have got the info.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:48 pm

Sakkarin,

I thought it was roasted mackeral until I looked at your posted link.

It is smoked (caballa ahumado) and it pairs lovely with fresh vine red tomatoes, capers, Evoo drizzle, fresh lemon drizzle, tri color lettuces or cress of choice, fennel, beetroot, red onion or green scallion .. parlsey or dill or both and is great on a toasted "canapé" with a sprig of dill and parsley diced finely with a drizzle of Evoo.

Definitely served cool - room temperature.

Thank you for posting the link ..

This is why several of us, suggested " heating it up " ..

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox