Register

French SR flour

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

French SR flour

Postby cherrytree » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:14 pm

Please can Joan and some others of you help me with French SR flour. I’ve got a pack of Francine flour ‘pour gateaux, pouder a lever incorporee’. I’ve made some scones and have a fruit cake in the oven but I’m beginning to wonder if it hasn’t got as much rising agent as the British stuff. Am I right?

Re: French SR flour

Postby Wic » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:20 pm

Yes, you are right. I always added some baking powder to the French SR flour, but I’ve just had a blank moment, I can't remember how much! Joan will know.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:35 pm

Hi Cherrytree

I always add 1 extra tsp of baking powder per 250gr flour for cakes and 2 tsp for scones to Francine Pour gateaux flour. Don't try any other so called SR flour as I have had several disasters with other brands. and don't trust French levure chemique either.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby cherrytree » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:43 pm

Thank you for such a quick and helpful reply both of you.
You have confirmed my suspicions. Luckily for my cake stall in August I’ve brought with my some SR flour and a tub of baking powder but just so that I can get properly familiar with my oven here I’ve got the Francine. My practice scones yesterday proved your points precisely.
Thanks once again.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox