Register

Meal ideas for hot weather

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Meal ideas for hot weather

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:57 pm

Keep on keeping on Binky :thumbsup

I’m living on leftovers just now but will probably cook fish when that runs out, my kitchen is currently 29 C which is rather more than I’m used to and if I raise the temperature by putting the oven on, all of this small flat will heat up.

Tonight the temperature will go down to about 24C but I’ll have to leave some windows closed, as we are threatened with torrential rain in the heat

The temperature will start to drop on Friday so I’ll just keep on eating salads and things retrieved from the freezer until then

Postby Pepper Pig » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:36 pm

I just don’t want to eat when it’s like this. OH, who has dementia, wants to eat normally. I am freezing a lot of portions!!

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:42 am

Sorry, Pepper and Binky.
I already knew of course, but nevertheless.

Weather like this, my husband always craves sausages. What's that about?!

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:43 am

my kitchen is currently 29 C

Which is why I have regrets that this is my first kitchen that doesn't have an outside door (onto the garden).
Never again.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:49 am

Well, the outside space was 30C so the door was firmly closed! It’s too hot to have have many doors and windows open

Fortunately we missed the thunderstorms so it’s not as humid as it might be

Postby dennispc » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:41 am

Binky, you describe yourself as 'stoic', amazingly positive and strong would be my words. Always good posts and threads from you. Read your post out to OH; our thoughts are with you and with hubby. All the best to you both.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:21 am

I too knew Binky and PP but that doesn't detract from dtermination to make and enjoy good food or make it for a loved one. My Danish friend is in a similar position as you Binky and she insists on cooking for others though I have to say Danish food can hardly be described as hot weather food :D She and her husband are coming here on Saturday night for a curry

Gill Tony would have loved it last week when the family was here they cooked 3 different sorts of sausages on the bbq. I had the tabouleh and tomato salad that I made to go with them.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:42 pm

Lunch today was Greek salad with multi coloured "Heritage" - called ancient here tomatoes. with pitta bread. It looked lovely and with fresh basil and really good EVOO tasted even better.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Binky » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:51 pm

Oh has gone to the pub with a former colleague so I lunched alone. I spread hummus thickly on a corn wrap, and cooked a small omelette to put on top. Afterwards I ate a small custard tart with a cup of tea. Not haute cuisine, but I enjoyed it and it was simple in this heat (33 degrees here. Phew)

Postby Wic » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:39 pm

Last night we had, by special request, the sandwich that Rick Stein made on the Mexico trip programme that was on on Monday. Lovely hot weather supper, no cooking and we had all the components in the fridge. It was sourdough, chicken, avocado, lettuce and tomato. The chipotle oil I discovered at the back of the cupboard seemed a bit too aged, so we mixed a bit of chilli into the mayo.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:23 pm

Going back to cold soup I made this last month using kefir not buttermilk (kefir is possibly the original anyway)
Very good, but I might not bother fiddling around with the egg yolk next time, I think just garnishing with the chopped whole eggs would work (I’ve had something similar). I used a vac pack of beetroot and 500ml kefir to make a half quantity

I’m afraid I call it Slartibartfast not saltibarciai, the Lithuanian name!

https://www.thespruceeats.com/lithuanian-cold-beet-soup-recipe-saltibarsciai-1137421

Image[/url]

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:12 pm

Sue,

Very lovely and refreshing.

I prepare a Greek Beetroot Gaspacho without the dairy.

The ingredients are:

4 medium sized beetroots (boiled and then when cool, peeled and finely chopped )
Sweet onion ( 1 or 2 depending on size ) - Galician Sweet Onion
1 Clove of garlic minced
Dill - A Few Sprigs
Cucumber ( I use 3 small peeled ones and remove the seeds and dice finely into tiny cubes)
Sherry Vinegar - a drizzle
Blend all.
Color: A true magenta red violet a Little darker than Sue´s.

Garnished with Evoo .. ( Can pair nicely with hard boiled egg too or avocado diced )

Have a nice summer.
Best regards from
Sardinia. :wave

I drink mine in a large stemware for Martini´s verses as a cold soup.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox