Register

Burrata

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Burrata

Postby Binky » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:28 pm

Had this Italian cheese today for the first time ever. Very nice. What surprises me is that after a lifetime of reading about food and eating it, there are still some foods that I have never heard of.

I had it at lunch time when I ordered a roasted red pepper and tomato on sourdough with rocket and burrata. This was at a cafe in Whitstable, Kent. OH had fried mushrooms, red onions and red pepper hummous in a brioche bun. That was nice too, the sort of thing we eat at home. :yum

Re: Burrata

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:44 pm

Isn't that what makes the world make sense…..?!?!

I do like whistabubble……..…..as our dear Dena used to call it…...

Postby Binky » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:54 pm

Ha ha. Whitstabubble. :lol:

It is a quaint place, with lots of cafes and restaurants (lots of oyster places if that appeals to you). I think it's heyday has passed though, lots of run-down properties when you look around.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:06 pm

Nothing to do with food Binky - but quite a few years ago now, we bought an amazing pair of fine marble urns down there :D - but the oysters turned against me the last time I had any there & brought me out in what looked liked teenage acne on my face for a fortnight...…. :thumbsdown haven't had any since..... :( couldn't risk that look again...……………..

Clams are good tho'...…………. :thumbsup

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:24 pm

Whitstable - also known as Stokey on sea, it’s easy to get to from here, a friend has a holiday apartment which she rents out, but also goes there a lot herself

I’ve only had burrata a few times, I think I prefer good mozzarella di buffala but it’s nice

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:29 pm

For me too Sue. I was served some on an extremely hot evening a few days ago and it did absolutely nothing for me except made me feel :vomit
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:59 pm

Both Burrata di Bufala (Puglia / Apulia) and Mozzarella di Bufala (Campania) are both amazingly extraordinary
Italian cheeses, and I like them both, Caprese, with Italian Evoo, Fresh Genovese Basil and Fresh ripe red tomato and a sprinkle of fine grained sea salt & a bit of freshly ground black peppercorns & some crusty, whole meal or whole wheat bread to dip into the Evoo.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:24 am

Burrata? Yep, well it´s ok, but nothing I`d want to go to the end of the earth for.
For some incongruous reason, the name makes me think of donkey.
Which is " burro" in Spanish.
In Italian, it means butter.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:27 am

We used to go to Whitstable on the bus. Only about 30 miles from Maidstone, where I was brung up.
My dad would always look for a plate of winkles. With malt vinegar.
Pity I haven`t been back there in the past 20 years; I´m sure I`d enjoy them.

Postby Binky » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:53 am

karadekoolaid,

I worked in Maidstone for 8 years, and lived in West Malling. Daily trundle down the M20 to the Park and Ride. I don't remember great places to eat (we always went to Cobblestones in Yalding for special occasions).

Postby Lizzie-47 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:14 am

I love burrata - I believe it has to be very fresh - not more than a couple of days old - to be at its best.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox