Register

Mediterranean Caperberries (Capparis Spinosa)

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Mediterranean Caperberries (Capparis Spinosa)

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:49 pm

Caperberries ( the fruit of a caper Bush on stems) called " Alcaparrones " in Spanish and Capparis Spinosa in Latin are a popular Mediterranean "Tapa" in Spain.

The caper ( alcaparra ) on the other hand, which is served in the famed Italian dish, Pasta Putanesca, are the tiny Green buds of the flower of the Caperberry Bush.

Caperberries are usually selected in market kiosks, from oak barrels filled with essential oils, herbs and pickling liquids varying from región to región.

My Gastro Experiences with Caperberries: :thumbsup

1) I happened to have a lovely dinner in Northern Portugal last night, and the salad I had was: Breton Langoustine served with Caperberries, Cresses and a lovely light
horse radish dipping sauce.

2) Normally at home in Barcelona bars, I have them just as is -- on a stem with a glass of Rosé or White wine.

3) I enjoy them sitting on my terrace as well .. With some fresh Goat Cheese or Aged Sheep Cheese. Lovely pairing.

Have a lovely month of July. :wave

Best regards from Northern Portugal.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Mediterranean Caperberries (Capparis Spinosa)

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:33 pm

I am very fond of caperberries. They are widely avaialble here from the stalls which sell olives, anchovies and sundried tomatoe . However at the recent pizzaria meal we had I was not impressed to have rather a lot of them served as one of 2 marinated vegetables, the other being 3 small peices of artichokes. The menu said "A selection of"

I think they go espeically well with fishy things
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:15 pm

Joan,

When home, I buy mine at the Le Mercat de La Boqueria, and they are stored in oak barrels, in a pickling liquid with herbs and essential oils.

I enjoy very much, and enjoy them most as a simple "tapa" .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

However, the salad I had with the Breton Langoustine, cress varieties and a light horse radish drizzle of a dressing, inspired me to jot down a quick post here.

Have a wonderful week ahead.

Kind regards. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:45 pm

Yes, I like caper berries and quite often buy a jar of pickled ones.

I often end up explaining to someone that capers such as nonpareil are not the berries but unopened flower buds, the berries are becoming more popular here but still aren’t that common

I usually just end up eating them as nibbles with an aperitif, or garnishing charcuterie with them, though I do put them into salads, I agree with you both that as they are milder than ordinary capers they are good with fish and seafood

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:48 pm

Sue,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, they are a lovely nibble or snack with an aperitif or charcuterie too .. :thumbsup

Yes, and quite different than "capers" ..

Have a lovely summer.

Postby Amyw » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:08 pm

I like caperberries too , think they look beautiful too . Lend themselves well to eating with some cured meats , cheese, crusty bread and ice cold Prosecco

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:20 pm

I love caperberries, but unfortunately, they´ve disappeared from the market over here.
A plate of olives, fresh bread, jamón serrano , Manchego cheese, alcaparrones, a glass of wine - my idea of heaven!

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:48 pm

Karakoolaide,

Me too, love them simply as a tapa .. With or without charcuterie and with or without aged Manchego or olives, crackers, focaccia, or Jamón Pata Negra ! :thumbsup

What a shame that they are no longer exported to Venezuela. :thumbsdown

They are also jarred for export too ..

I get mine at the Le Mercat de Boqueria and they are in oak barrels in an herbal liquid with essential oils (pickling liquid) .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a wonderful week ahead.

Postby Renee » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:27 pm

I like caper berries too and over here I can buy them in brine, wine vinegar or sea salt. They are usually Spanish or Greek.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:36 pm

Renée,

Super ! Yes, they are a truly lovely nibble !

Yes, they are purely Mediterranean and very popular in both Spain & Greece as
well as the southern coast of France and Sicily ..

Hope you are having a lovely summer. :wave

Best regards from Northern Portugal.
I am leaving next Monday for Sardinia where
I shall be for the rest of July and most of August.
Cannot wait ! It is also a gastronomic oasis !

The Barbaggia Mountains in the north central part of the island are simply
amazing. This is where Pecorino Sardo is still produced in its historic authentic manner, and they still use sheep whey as it is still prepared
as they have for centuries ..

These package tours are 14 days and 13 nights.

Kindest regards. :wave :wave

Postby Renee » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:50 pm

Have a lovely time in Sardinia Member 461. I'll do an online search to find out more about the country and the food there.

Postby Pampy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:21 am

I wouldn't spend too much time looking at Casu Marzu Renee! When I lived in Sardinia, I saw it eaten a number of times :vomit :vomit :vomit

Postby Alexandria » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 am

Renée,

Appreciate all your feedback.

Casu Marzu, also called Casu Modde,
and:

in Sardinian, it is called: Casu Fràzigu,
which is simply a sheep cheese with
Insect Larvae.

Not very appetising and surely a no go for us. :twisted:

Have a lovely July and all our best regards.

Postby Renee » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:18 am

Definitely a no go! :evil: I won't be going abroad again, but I do like to read up on different places for their culture and gastronomy!

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:49 am

Pampy wrote: When I lived in Sardinia

Interesting Pampy - what took you there & how long did you live there?

Postby Pampy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:44 pm

Oh, it was MANY years ago! I went in my late teens with a friend just because....we could! We'd been on holiday to Spain and decided that we wanted to see more interesting parts of the world where cheap tourism wasn't the main industry so we upped sticks and went. Apart from the Costa Smeralda in the north, Sardinia wasn't a tourist destination for other nationalities apart from a small number of Germans and we were the first English people that most people had ever seen so we were somewhat of a novelty! We found jobs in a bar and people used to come just to see this strange new race of people! We only came across a few people who spoke English so quickly had to learn (Sardinian) Italian**. We moved on from the bar to working in a hotel and then finally in a bar/restaurant/disco, which also hosted the occasional live gig. We had the most fabulous time and stayed there for about 18 months but eventually, homesickness crept in and we decided to come back to the UK. We didn't make a lot of money when we were there but decided to splash it all on the journey home, so "thumbed" our way back, stopping in places like San Remo, Monte Carlo and Cannes, then through Marseille to Montpellier (which I remember as being very pretty) carrying on through France to Paris before ending up at Calais for the ferry back. We ended our "on the thumb" odyssey in a Ffyfes banana truck which dropped us off in Manchester, which was a bit of a come down from the earlier parts of the journey! I still have loads of fond memories of beautiful places and (mainly) lovely people.
** Interestingly, when I visited Venice years later, I found that the Venetian dialect was very similar to Sardinian - probably because they were both seafaring communities so had similar influences on their language.

Postby Renee » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:54 pm

What a fascinating adventure Pampy! You were very courageous in the first place to attempt it. What a wonderful journey back home you had too, apart from the Ffyfe's banana truck … still it got you back home!

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:40 pm

Fantastic experience & memories Pampy!!!!!
A True Hippy...…………..!!!!!!!

Many things can only be done at certain stages in life can't they - like the thumbing - I did a lot of that in college days, & when I look back, & at the risks, it makes me shiver - but I wouldn't have missed it for anything - don't think we could get away with it now.

Have you been back to Sardinia since, & do you still keep in touch with your girlfriend.....?

Postby Amyw » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:25 pm

What a lovely story Pamoy, bet the whole experience gave you lots of lovely memories

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:54 pm

Renée,

Fiore Sardo ( Pecorino Sardo ) ..

To return to The Barbagia which is a very conservative región, the pastoral traditions are linked to the
changing of the seasons. People in this región do not buy vegetables in a supermarket.

They do not buy bottled water either.

The Dettori Family, invited us and our smaller sized tourist group to their 19th century Dairy farm (1870) and which is
located approx. 35 km. from Gavoi. It was one of the most rewarding experiences.

The average disk of aged pecorino sardo is approx. 3.5 to 4 kilos and about the size of a small drum !

The family has only 1.000 sheep, which graze on 670 acres of Meadows.

This rusticity is enforced by law, and it is certified by the Denomination of Protected Origin (DOP).

It takes 500 quarts of sheep´s milk to make 19 rounds of Fiore Sardo ..

Quite amazing.

This is one of our 1st stops once again.

We shall stay in the Barbagia just outside of the village of Oliena which is an excellent base for exploring
the smaller villages of the Supramonte and all their charming authentic tiny restaurants.

We shall also travel to the Costa Esmeralda and of course Cagliari which is an ancient sea port and a visit to the 13th century castle,
that towers over the port and Marina District.

Have a wonderful summer and all my best wishes. :wave :wave

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox