Register

baked beans

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

baked beans

Postby wargarden » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:38 am

does any one here make there own baked beans ?

I made them few times, but curious if others have to or do you all get yours from a can or bottle?

Re: baked beans

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:46 am

I buy mine in a bottle, same place I buy my beer.

Postby wargarden » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:04 am

karadekoolaid to bad home made taste better then any bottle unless bottle it yourself.

Postby Suffs » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:58 am

When my children were still at home my Boston-style Baked Bean pot was a firm family favourite ... it was a recipe/method given me by a friend from New England and had been passed down in her family for several generations.

It became traditional in our family that I would make a big batch for my children and their friends to have with baked potatoes on Guy Fawkes’ Night.

Sometimes I would make it in the electric slow cooker as it was a great meal to come home to after a day out at the coast on a blustery autumn day, but it was best when made in a cast iron ‘Dutch Oven’ type casserole in the slow oven of the solid fuel Rayburn.

I occasionally make it even now there’s just the two of us at home when we need a really warming hearty meal, as it freezes and reheats well.

Postby wargarden » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:17 am

Suffs that sounds great

Postby Renee » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:07 am

You've just reminded me Suffs, that I did once make Boston style baked beans and they were so good! I seem to remember that they contain molasses and I have an unopened jar.

Good thread Wargarden!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:08 am

I have made the Boston style beans in the past but not for ages, I use beans and other pulses quite often, for example in a slightly similar vein I make fadeba asturiana - butter (Lima) beans cooked with chorizo and morçilla, or Puy lentils and sausages or even cassoulet. Maybe I’ll do the Boston style beans again when the weather is cooler

I do also like the simple canned beans, I’m told that the UK recipe for Heinz baked beans is rather different to the US version.

Postby scullion » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:05 pm

not a fan of tinned baked beans unless they're disguised with brown sauce or curry paste.
i've made boston style ones decades ago but the type i usually make is the greek variant - gigantes plakis - it's still a 'baked bean' dish (although i make them on the hob) but with more veg and i find them a more interesting flavour.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:09 pm

I have used tinned ones in the past- I can only get heinz as they are unkown in France but I have also made Boston baked beans from sratch after having them at a friend's house ...... in Boston. She showed me her reipce.
I find tinned baked beans far too sweet and I couldn't possibly eat them on their own.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:27 pm

Good afternoon,

I never eat jarred or canned or tinned beans.

I have never had Boston Baked Beans.

However, the traditional Spanish Bean dishes, an intricate part of my heritage are:

Northern White Beans or White Navy Beans grown in Spain are called "Alubias" and they are wonderful vegetarian
style or with Morcilla de Burgos, called Blood Pudding or Fresh Sausage.

Cocido Madrileño (a traditional Chickpea Stew with Cabbage and Meats )

Spanish Green Lentils vegetarian style or with Morcilla de Burgos (blood pudding) and fresh pork sausage

Fabada Asturiana

Pasta Fagioli (Italian Cannelli Bean Dish )

We also adore "Fei jo ada", a Brazilian black bean (alubias negras which Spain is a large producer of) dish served with several varieties of meats and vegetables and
when in Madrid, we go to an amazing Brazilian Restaurant, called Rubaiyat in the Cuzco neighbourhood of uptown Madrid.

Have a nice weekend. :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Not even close, Member 461.
Baked beans are a breakfast icon in the UK; usually haricot beans baked (or cooked in a pot) for a very long time, in a tomato-based sauce.
People in the UK will eat beans for breakfast ( with a full English), beans as an accompaniment for almost anything, beans on toast, curried beans, beans and sausage.
Absolutely no comparison with delicious alubias or something as divine as pasta è fagioli or Tonno e fagioli

As I explained to Wardgarden above, I buy mine in bottles, but occasionally in six packs.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:55 pm

Karakoolaide,

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mediterranean bean dishes for lunch on a cold day are
quite comforting ..

I have Heard about the canned or tinned beans for
breakfast from clients .. "However, it does not rock my boat" !

Have a lovely weekend .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Suffs » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:49 am

There are some of us who do not consider baked beans to be an acceptable addition to the Full English, any more than are those unpleasant interlopers the preformed and frozen ‘hash browns’.

Bubble and squeak or sliced new potatoes (left over from the previous evening’s dinner) and fried in butter until the edges are just crispy, are the only acceptable form of potato on my breakfast table.

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:19 am

I love a tin of branston beans on thick sliced toast. The excessively sweet and salty beans are just so nostalgic.

Plus I must say a full English without beans is plain wrong in my opinion. What am I going to wipe up with my spare (extra) slice of fried bread or toast? :limbobanana :lol:

Postby Renee » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:23 am

Have you tried Branston Beans with Chorizo? They are really good, but I can only find them in Sainsbury's.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:49 am

It occurs to me that an advantage of the hotel breakfast buffet (if a good one) is that there are more items than most of us would even attempt to pile on to one plate so you skip the bits you don’t like.

Always baked beans (canned variety) available of course, some adults eschew them but vegetarians and children are usually pleased to see them. The last good one I had got round the problem of tomatoes (usual choices canned or half raw underripe grilled tomatoes) by slow roasting them, delicious and probably least work for the kitchen.

I like proper hash browns but agree I’m not keen on the frozen triangles of something like styrofoam

Postby Suffs » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:41 pm

Just had a perfectly acceptable hotel breakfast ... smoked back bacon, sausages, a nicely fried FR egg, good black pudding, baked tomato half and bubble and squeak NO BEANS :thumbsup .. berries and plain yoghurt to start, quality fresh orange juice and good coffee . Perfect to set me up for a busy day being the bride’s grandmother :birthday-dancer :wave

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:55 pm

Good Morning,

It is very common in all levels of hotels, to have a breakfast buffet,
which permits the selection of the guests to choose the ítems that they
like and are accustomed to ..

An excellent breakfast buffet is always a welcomed pleasure.

The tarts, pastries, a to z types of breads, assorted butters, assorted extra virgin olive oils and vinegars, salad fixings,
fresh fruits of the season, and a million other selections.

We have had very good breakfast buffets in Spain, Portugal, Italy and in Marseille, France.

All super fresh too and ecological ítems too ..

Have a nice weekend.
Best regards from Northern Portugal.
Off to Sardinia, on the 22nd for my next Circuit Package
Tour .. Cannot wait ! :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Postby Suffs » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:14 pm

A buffet for ‘continental breakfast’ choices, or fruit, cereals and toast etc prior to cooked breakfast dishes is usual in most UK hotels nowadays, but although some of the cheaper hotels use a ‘bain marie’ type counter to keep the elements of a cooked breakfast, including a ‘full English’, warm IMHO it is rarely successful and results in a rather tired and greasy meal.

One of my best ever breakfasts was two perfectly poached eggs on hot buttered toast delivered, with orange juice and coffee, to my room in the Savoy on the dot of 8:30 am as requested, for breakfast in bed ... perfect. 8-)

Postby cherrytree » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:19 pm

Just accept Member 461 that the thread is about baked beans and don’t get yourself confused with other bean delights. I detest them but they are an iconic part of British culinary culture probably pinched from the USA.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox