Register

Favourite breakfasts

For all refugees from the old Beeb Food Boards :-)
Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Moderators: karadekoolaid, THE MOD TEAM, Stokey Sue, Gillthepainter

Re: Favourite breakfasts

Postby wargarden » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:35 pm

a salami omelet sandwich (white toast) with side hash browns and some fruit cocktail.
fresh orange juice to drink.

rolled omelet or omurice

Postby cherrytree » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:43 pm

A little bowl of All Bran followed by an egg from my friend Sheila’s farm and some dry cured bacon from Tony my butcher, then one slice of whole meal toast with my own marmalade from Felicity Cloake’s recipe.

Postby mark111757 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:56 pm

Wordsworth

Trying to find wholemeal bead over is like trying to find hens teeth. An artisan or micro bakery perhaps. Or an area with lots of UK folks

Failing that, make it yourself....https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/it ... flour-3-lb

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:32 pm

I am with W Wordworth on the white toast multi grain for us. I also prefer my scambled eggs what the French call baveuse ie creamy. I can't abide bouncy scrambled egg

How remiss to forget home made marmalade Cherrytree.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:54 pm

Hi mark111757, does that mean you can't get brown bread either, where the wheat bran is added to the refined flour? We've had that for as long as I can remember.

Wholeseed grain breads have become mainstream gaining ground over the last couple of decades, although sourdough is all the rage now. That said, it is for people who can afford it so isn't likely to rival 4x cheaper steamed white any time soon by volume sales.

I'm in both camps as there are many foods where the taste of the bread detracts from the filling, IMO so plain white ain't dead just yet ;)

By the way, if you decide to make your own bread, our Sakkarin has a no-knead method, which cuts out the 15-30 mins constant kneading by letting it prove and rise in the fridge overnight. One of us can dig the method out for you if interested :)

Postby Pampy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:36 pm

jeral wrote:
By the way, if you decide to make your own bread, our Sakkarin has a no-knead method, which cuts out the 15-30 mins constant kneading by letting it prove and rise in the fridge overnight. One of us can dig the method out for you if interested :)

...or get a bread maker or mixer with a dough hook!

Postby WWordsworth » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:02 pm

For years I have made my own bread using a slightly cheating method.

I make the dough in the bread machine, knock it back and put it into a tin for the second rise, then bake it in the oven.

The cube-shaped loaf that comes out of the bread machine fits neither the toaster or J's sandwich box.

I bake it for 33 mins at 175deg fan.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:08 pm

Our usual breakfast is porridge. It's his and hers. Mine is made with solely with water and oats, whereas Mrs B likes it milky. At this time of year we sometimes have cereals with soft fruit on top.

However I love a good fry up. Not fussed about beans or hash browns but anything else is fair game. I've mentioned before that I've tried to get as many different animals as possible on a plate, or have a giant's breakfast - bacon chop, jumbo sausage, goose egg, beefsteak tomato and big mushroom.

Smaller options include bacon sandwich (even better with the addition of poultry or rabbit liver) eggs Benedict, huevos rancheros, things on toast (offal, mushrooms, scrambled eggs) I too like my eggs soft. Any form of smoked fish is a pleasure, especially Cley kippers or Gigha halibut. Had a nice smoked haddock omelette last week in Teesdale.

Postby Pampy » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:48 pm

Could you manage this BM? https://www.facebook.com/MrsGsHattersLa ... =3&theater
I seem to remember that Mrs G was a member of the BBC board.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:56 pm

Could you manage this BM?

Over the course of a week, perhaps!

Postby mark111757 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:12 pm

Jeral

Brown bread is easy to find but it is a brown version of the "motel pillow" stuff . you press it once and it does not spring back. Whole grain breads are popular. For a long time I liked what aldi offered. There are times I wish that wholemeal was more available over here. But we can access salad cream.... :birthday-dancer

If all else fails there is this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/dori ... loaf_16985

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox